45 Colt Flat Top

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

45 Colt Flat Top

Post by HEAD0001 »

I saw a Special Edition 5-1/2" barrel Ruger Flat Top in 45 Colt is available. I have been kicking around the purchase of a 45 Colt BlackHawk for about a year, but have not pulled the trigger yet.

I know alot of you guys talk about the Flat Top from time to time. But I am wondering why?? I realize it is their older style revolver. But what makes you guys like this Flat Top so well?? Please share a little information with me on this revolver. It will not take much to make me a purchaser of one of these. Thank You, Tom.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: 45 Colt Flat Top

Post by J Miller »

The current .45 Colt flattop Blackhawks are built on the mid sized frame rather than the full sized BH. They are a bit more compact. Many consider this a great benefit. I agree, but would prefer a 4 5/8" barrel.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

The distributor(Lipsey's) is actually showing two of them. But it is showing both as being 5-1/2" models. I can not see any difference between the two. That is kind of odd?? It is also showing the revolver as being a convertible. That is a really great feature. Both 45ACP and 45 Colt shooter. Now I am pretty sure I am going to have to have one of these. What do you guys think about it being a convertible?? Do they shoot as well??

Can this revolver handle the same heavies as the larger BlackHawk?? Not that I will be shooting hot ammo. Probably just an 18 or 19 grain load of 2400 with a 255 grain cast bullet?? Thanks, Tom.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

HEAD0001 wrote:
Can this revolver handle the same heavies as the larger BlackHawk?? Not that I will be shooting hot ammo.
No, since it's the midframe--shared with the New Vaquero-- it should not shoot "Ruger Only" loads, but is fine for normal SAMMI fare--which still includes some pretty warm possibilities.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Here is the Midsized Flattop .45 Convertible:
http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx? ... ed%20Ivory
Yes the convertibles shoot very well.
No, the new flattop .45s cannot handle the heavy Ruger / TC loads. It is built on the smaller Colt sized frame. The same sized frame the original .357s were built on.

Here is the standard full sized BH .45 Convertible:
http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx? ... ck+Polymer
The full sized BH will of course handle the heavy loads.

Look close at the top strap around the rear sight on both guns. That is where the term Flattop comes from. The Flattop is flat, the standard has the raised areas around the rear sight.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

Post deleted
Last edited by jerry b on Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've got one of the blue .45 Lipsey's FTs on order. I intend to use the same 9 gr. Unique RCBS 270 SAA load in it that I use in my other guns. Since fate has apparently decided that all my adjustable sighted SAs will be 5-1/2" guns I might be selling my 4-5/8" .44 Special FT (I already have a 5-1/2" .44 Special FT). We'll see.

I don't need the barn burner loads, like the compact dimensions of the smaller frame, and prefer the feel of the XR3 grip frame. The .45 ACP cylinder will be a fine extra to this revolver and, based on my experience with my convertible USFA SA, make the adjustable sights a near necessity. Good value all around.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

Post deleted
Last edited by jerry b on Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

9.0 Unique under a 265gr -270gr Keith SWC is my favorite load for my .45 Colts. I shoot it from my S&W 25-5, IJ, my OM BH and my two lever guns. Pressurewise it's right around 16,900 PSI according to QUICKLoad.
Well within the abilities of any modern gun in good condition.

Joe
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jerry b wrote: If I wanted a .45 ACP revolver, I'd get a second FT. Com'on, that makes more sense and a good excuse, too.
I LIKE the way you think...! :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jerry b wrote:I can't imagine how Ruger could avoid making this a standard product eventually. It has a lot of appeal, just like the .44s.

The switching out of convertible cylinders and resighting all the time has never struck a chord with me, not since I bought my first Single Six way....way....way (sigh) back there. If I wanted a .45 ACP revolver, I'd get a second FT. Com'on, that makes more sense and a good excuse, too.
Jerry,
I've had two Ruger BH .45s with ACP cylinders. Both of them shot to the same point of impact with standard 250 and 255gr .45 Colt ammo and 230gr 45 ACP ammo without changing the sights. I've shot groups with the Colt round, then switched cylinders and shot more rounds into the same group at 25 yds from the ACP cylinder.
This is about the best of the multiple cylinder combinations in my experience.

I applaud your idea of getting two of them and using one for the Colt and one for the ACP, but since changing the cylinders are so easy, I'd get the .45 convertible and one in .44 Spcl and have a lot more fun.

Joe
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I personally love my 44 Special flat top 4 3/4". I would love to have this 45 Colt/ 45 ACP convertible flattop too :) I'm like Joe though, I'd prefer the 4 3/4" tube model though. Just the perfect carry size IMHO.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I personally love my 44 Special flat top 4 3/4". I would love to have this 45 Colt/ 45 ACP convertible flattop too :) I'm like Joe though, I'd prefer the 4 3/4" tube model though. Just the perfect carry size IMHO.
.45 Colt / ACP convertible Ruger BH w/ 5.5" barrel + hacksaw + file + torch + cold blue = 4 5/8 .45 Colt / ACP Convertible. :twisted: :mrgreen:

Joe
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

Post deleted
Last edited by jerry b on Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jerry b wrote:The ACP cylinder for my BH has never been dirtied. I am just content with the .45 Colt and the loads I've used for years.

So many Rugers out there, and so little inclination :? . What's going on? A few years ago, I'd've jumped....JUMPED....at getting both these recent big bore FTs. Now, I just sit back and think, "what niche would they fill, or do I really need it, why do I want it?"
Jerry,

I think your condition may be serious. I prescribe two whiffs of Hoppe's #9 twice a day and a trip to the closest shooting range two times per week until you see an improvement.

Joe
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

Thanks, Joe, for the advice. I already splash on Hoppes for deodorant and Ballistol for hand lotion. I may be doomed to a life of simplicity and reflection.....oh, the shame of it all.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I didn't say I'd resight all the time and I meant that I'd do so just when I HAD to. It is possibly a convenience, perhaps a necessity to have the second cylinder.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

It's not a flat top but it is a 45 Colt BH Ruger 4 5/8. It's accurate and handy.

"That'll Be The Day"
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

jerry b wrote:I can't imagine how Ruger could avoid making this a standard product eventually. It has a lot of appeal, just like the .44s.

The switching out of convertible cylinders and resighting all the time has never struck a chord with me, not since I bought my first Single Six way....way....way (sigh) back there. If I wanted a .45 ACP revolver, I'd get a second FT. Com'on, that makes more sense and a good excuse, too.
Well, if you got one of the Davidson special New Vaquero .45 convertibles, you wouldnt have to worry about re-sighting in :) at least not to any degree you'd do anything about! I'm strictly .44 (of the big bores), but that's one .45 I could see having, especially/only in a convertible!
jbbooks
Levergunner

Post by jbbooks »

An old bullseye shooting tip from my younger days was to put a dab of fingernail polish on the sights to mark different sight in points for the distances used in that game. This works for different loads out of a revolver as well. Get that convertable and shoot the heck out of it. I plan to as soon as I get the coin saved up.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Hobie, you are never going to get that .500 S&W lever action if you keep ordering handguns! :D I'm guilty of the same problem. I have a Colt Custom Shop .38 super on layaway. :oops: God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

rodeo kid wrote:Hobie, you are never going to get that .500 S&W lever action if you keep ordering handguns! :D I'm guilty of the same problem. I have a Colt Custom Shop .38 super on layaway. :oops: God Bless.
TELL ME ABOUT IT! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie