OT - 8 Gauge / 8 Bore

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

OT - 8 Gauge / 8 Bore

Post by 6pt-sika »

Do we have any 8 gauge or bore experts here ?

I have a hankering to get an 8 gauge shotgun , although 8 bore rifles are of intrest as well !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - 8 Gauge / 8 Bore

Post by 6pt-sika »

Would prefer a nice old HAMMRELESS Parker with nice damascus barrels if I had my choice !
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

No expert here, but I would love to learn more about them. I saw the movie Appaloosa about the time I read the book about duck hunting on the island that became Aberdeen Proving Grounds. In that book there are quite a few references to gunning with an 8 ga.

Mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

componets available through ballistic products. http://www.ballisticproducts.com

I have toyed with the idea of having my sawed off 10ga. double or my H & R single 10ga bored out to 8ga.
I CAS shoot the double with black powder sometimes and they will not let you use an 8 cowboy shooting. So it remains an interesting idea. :lol:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

6pt-sika wrote:Would prefer a nice old HAMMRELESS Parker with nice damascus barrels if I had my choice !
Very nice grade 2 from an auction back in Feb.
http://www.dogsanddoubles.com/2010/02/g ... ing-today/

I dont buy anymore, but I still love to look :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

casastahle wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:Would prefer a nice old HAMMRELESS Parker with nice damascus barrels if I had my choice !
Very nice grade 2 from an auction back in Feb.
http://www.dogsanddoubles.com/2010/02/g ... ing-today/

I dont buy anymore, but I still love to look :wink:

There was one very similar to that one that sold in an auction the week before the Baltimore show this year for $6,000 .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

buckeyeshooter wrote:componets available through ballistic products. http://www.ballisticproducts.com

I use some of these guys products already , but I won't buy direct from them !
Had a few run in's shall we say with "what they said and what they actually did" . The better choice for me atleast is Precision Reloading in Mitchell SD . They handle the BPI products I would order from them and plenty other items as well .

www.precisionreloading.com
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Not that long ago there was an Italian gun maker making 8 guage doubles. Benneli or something like that. Prices were not way out of line. Of course the extras get pricey. Most have no interest in them due to game law restrictions. Could be fun. Good Luck.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Cliff wrote: Most have no interest in them due to game law restrictions. Could be fun. Good Luck.
If I ever get one I "will" kill a deer with it , well that is if I can get it to pattern 00 Buck very well . I think the game restrictions are for waterfowl only though .
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Have what you are looking for at Bedlan's Sporting Goods in Fairbury NE.
I doubt highly if it is for sale. It is a brute. Man who had it, had a shaking, nervous system type problem, only gun heavy enough he could hold still to shoot deer with. Came from Mich or some where up north.

Can be reloaded, I think all commercial loads are industrial loads and have a ring around the brass so you can't use them in old shotguns.

If they were legal, I would have one. Be great turkey gun, goose and crane shooter too.
Especially with steel loads, could pack a pretty good size pellet and plenty of them in an 8!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Marlin32 wrote: Can be reloaded, I think all commercial loads are industrial loads and have a ring around the brass so you can't use them in old shotguns.
I've talked with a few guys that load for the 8 and they "claim" you can size the ring down enough to make them work .
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

there is a reloader with sizing die to do just that. Or you could have the gun chambered for the industrial hull.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

[quote="buckeyeshooter"]there is a reloader with sizing die to do just that. Or you could have the gun chambered for the industrial hull.[/quote]

Ouch :|
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

buckeyeshooter wrote:Or you could have the gun chambered for the industrial hull.
Thats not something I'd consider for a nice old damascus gun or a fluid steel gun for that matter .
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I wish I could remember who it was, but someone makes/made a semi-auto 8ga. :shock: I want to say it's out of Russia. Izmash or Saiga maybe? IIRC it's for commercial hunters.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

6pt-sika wrote:
buckeyeshooter wrote:Or you could have the gun chambered for the industrial hull.
Thats not something I'd consider for a nice old damascus gun or a fluid steel gun for that matter .
well-- not for an old nice gun, but for one like my h & r 10 ga or spanish elibar in 10 ga
why not?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

buckeyeshooter wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
well-- not for an old nice gun, but for one like my h & r 10 ga or spanish elibar in 10 ga
why not?

Part of the whole thing to me is to have the gun be it a 10 gauge or an 8 in a nice old american or english double . So the H&R or a modestly priced gun from Spain are not what I'm after . If I want a 10 gauge 3 1/2" I'll just get another Ithaca MAG-10 , Remington SP-10 or Browning BPS . I've had all three over the course of time and after awhile sent them down the road !
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

6pt-sika wrote:
buckeyeshooter wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
why not?

Part of the whole thing to me is to have the gun be it a 10 gauge or an 8 in a nice old american or english double . So the H&R or a modestly priced gun from Spain are not what I'm after . If I want a 10 gauge 3 1/2" I'll just get another Ithaca MAG-10 , Remington SP-10 or Browning BPS . I've had all three over the course of time and after awhile sent them down the road !
Whatever that “American or English double” disease is 6pt-sika,
you and I both got it real bad, and I for one am loving every min. of it… :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

casastahle wrote:Whatever that “American or English double” disease is 6pt-sika,
you and I both got it real bad, and I for one am loving every min. of it… :wink:
I've had it for about 36 years now !

When I was 14 I went from and H&R 12 gauge single to a W.W. Greener 12 gauge SxS of intermediate grade . Still have that gun as a matter of fact ! It a little unusual from the normal Greeners one see's . Mine is hammerless with a tang saftey instead of the more likely seen Greener side safety !
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

Since I won't ever be able to take an 8 ga duck hunting (one of my obsessive hunting fantasies), I was thinking of buying one of those Spanish 10 ga SxS's and send the barrels out to be back bored, lengthen the forcing cones, and bore both chokes to Imp Cyl. I'm thinking doing all that would get a feller close to a 9 ga with a gun that won't kick too bad and won't weigh a ton. And ammo availability won't be a problem.

Mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I use the double mostly for cowboy shooting these days. I have used it for deer hunting. Never shot the H & R -- just sits in the guncase. I do also have an SP-10. I use it alot.
The 8 ga. is just a neat idea. Something different. I understand about wanting a nice one.