Ot/ Another T/C contender question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Ot/ Another T/C contender question

Post by 2ndovc »

Aside from Auction Arms and Gunbroker any good sites for used Contender barrels?

Looking for 16"- 18" carbine barrels.

Need a .308 or .35 Rem. and maybe a 45-70 too,

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ot/ Another T/C contender question

Post by salvo »

Graybeard has an active TC Classifieds.
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, for a .308-class cartridge, and above, you'll need to move up to an Encore pistol, as they devlop too much pressure for the Contender and/or Contender G2 frame.

I had a .375 Win from the Custom Shop that was worthwhile.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've sold a bunch of Contender barrels on Gunbroker and purchased a couple .
I got the 444 Marlin barrel I'm now shooting for about $130 off GB and I've sold several barrels for $200+ depending on what chambering they were !

These were all pistol length barrels , so I don't really have any idea what rifle length barrels would be selling for .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Pete44ru wrote:AFAIK, for a .308-class cartridge, and above, you'll need to move up to an Encore pistol, as they devlop too much pressure for the Contender and/or Contender G2 frame.

I had a .375 Win from the Custom Shop that was worthwhile.

Pete,

Don't take this wrong, but there's no need for an Encore frame with the .308 or .35 rem. That I shoot.
Folks have been shooting those cartridges and heavier for years. Including SSK's JDJ series in the Contender.
The Encore is the new kid on the block and intended for the really big boys/ maniacs that like to push the envelope.
By the way my new Contender is a G2. Much heavier than the old Contender I had. That one had
a boat load of .45-70s through it and still locked up like a vault door.

Also, I don't load to Max in any of these. More of an all purpose pack rifle that
goes anywhere easily and can serve multiple roles. I love a .310 round ball over 8 gr 4064 in a .308 for
rabbits and grouse. Or a 115 SWC in my .35s and 8 grains Unique for a good woodchuck load.
Along with some good JSPs for the big critters.

jb 8)

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

HMMM, you going to use it for Black Bear???? :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Encore is not needed for the .35 Rem but is for the .308 Winchester. That's all there is to it. Even cartridges such as the .300 Savage and .250 Savage are only marginally reasonable in the Contender frame. The 6.5 Jap has been found to exceed Contender capabilities. One CAN stretch frames with the .35 Remington handloads. TC replaced a number of frames stretched by handloaders with that cartridge.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Hobie wrote:Encore is not needed for the .35 Rem but is for the .308 Winchester. That's all there is to it. Even cartridges such as the .300 Savage and .250 Savage are only marginally reasonable in the Contender frame. The 6.5 Jap has been found to exceed Contender capabilities. One CAN stretch frames with the .35 Remington handloads. TC replaced a number of frames stretched by handloaders with that cartridge.
Sorry,
Was in one of those moods where I thought I knew everything. :oops:

I stand corrected. Plus I was thinking for my purposes only. I rarely hot rod any of my handloads. Never saw any reason to.

What I want is a short, light and easily taken down and packable carbine that can do multiple things with a wide range
of loads.

jb 8)

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I'll tell ya, I love the big and slow shooters but.... if you want a great little shooter for animals coyote sized and smaller and able to reach way out there the .204 Ruger is a fun little cartridge. It flies in the face of big and reletivly slow cartridges that most of us prefer though.
Here's my little coyote/jackrabbit/ ground squirrel rig, I just enjoy this combo so much, I wanted to let you know when your buying barrels if you get a chance you might enjoy it as much as I do.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

2ndovc wrote:[ I stand corrected. Plus I was thinking for my purposes only. I rarely hot rod any of my handloads. Never saw any reason to.

What I want is a short, light and easily taken down and packable carbine that can do multiple things with a wide range
of loads.

jb 8)

And what would be wrong with the .30-30 for your application ?Tons of .30-30 barrels floating around out there, 100's of available loads and bullets for whatever you want to do, accuracy is more than acceptable as old-time IHMSA shooters will attest. Will reliably kill anything you have any business shooting. :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Although I absolutely enjoyed my Contender Carbine in .375 Winchester, if I wanted more flexibility, I think I'd do it in 7-30 Waters today.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

jnyork wrote:
2ndovc wrote:[ I stand corrected. Plus I was thinking for my purposes only. I rarely hot rod any of my handloads. Never saw any reason to.

of loads.

jb 8)

And what would be wrong with the .30-30 for your application ?Tons of .30-30 barrels floating around out there, 100's of available loads and bullets for whatever you want to do, accuracy is more than acceptable as old-time IHMSA shooters will attest. Will reliably kill anything you have any business shooting. :D

.30-30 is on the list too. :D

jb 8)

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have 'em all for the Contender, .25-35, 7mm TCU, 7-30, .30-30, .35 Rem, .38-55, .41 Mag, .44 Mag, even the .30 Herrett and 10mm Auto (think .38-40). All can be made up to be VERY light and are VERY effective and a small, 2½X scope sight doesn't over power them. You can still find the folding Choate stock, too. With a 16¼" barrel you have a VERY compact outfit. I believe somebody makes these up as the "Backpacker" but you can pretty much do it yourself.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

Hobie, rumor has it that you have fired .40s&w in your 10mm barrel.
Care to comment?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I want to see you get out of this one!
I think I understand his wish & intent, I have long thought of building a survival battery based on the H&R series.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Best forum I have seen for buying and selling TC barrels is "The Specialty Pistols Forum". I have bought four barrels, and sold two barrels on that forum in the past 5 or 6 months. Great prices also. Also a great forum for the single shot shooters-especially handguns. I sold a 45/70Contender Carbine barrel on there the other evening. It took about 30 minutes to sell it. Tom.