AR build is almost complete...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

AR build is almost complete...

Post by stew71 »

A JD Machine lower, Rock River trigger assembly and A2 stock. The upper is also from RRA with one of their 24" varmint barrels and a Wylde chamber. The rings you see in this photo are too low, so I have a Burris 1-piece mount/rings on order from SWFA.COM.

My initial tests last weekend with some Federal ball ammo showed that this rifle will prove to be extremely accurate if I do my part. The groups were running just a hair over 1.25" with the occasional flyer out to about a 1.5". (my fault).

She's a heavy mutha' though. This one's for long-range plinking and calling in 'yotes out at the dairy. Once the funds are built back up, I plan to put together a DCM-legal A2 upper for some competition. Maybe even pick up something in 6.8 SPC.

Although, I've had my eye on a Savage 99 in .300 and a Marlin 1895 in 45/70 over at the local toy store....sooooooooooooo...... :)

Anyways, this is my 1st AR and I can see why it's so fun to shoot. The ergonomics are simply wonderful...at least for me!

Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: AR build is almost complete...

Post by JReed »

Looking good. Just one question why the Wilde chamber? Do you have a large stash of 5.56x45 NATO on hand?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

JReed wrote:Looking good. Just one question why the Wilde chamber? Do you have a large stash of 5.56x45 NATO on hand?
Not at the moment, but I just like having that option. And it didn't cost any differently than a standard .223 chamber.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Works for me :oops: a rifleman can never have to many options.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Looks good Stew, I knew U could do it. My heavy barrel makes 1 ragged hole @ 100 yds through 1/4 in steel.
what is a dcm legal A2 upper ?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

pwl44m wrote:Looks good Stew, I knew U could do it. My heavy barrel makes 1 ragged hole @ 100 yds through 1/4 in steel.
what is a dcm legal A2 upper ?
Thanks!! I think I'm using the correct terminology. It means that it would meet the DCM/CMP requirements that the rifle matches the military specifications of the M-16A2 in regards to barrel length, sights, handguards, etc to compete in the service rifle category. Otherwise, its classified as a match rifle.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Good looking rifle. I just swapped out my Spikes 1;7 upper for a 1:9 16" Bull Barrel from CMMG. So far I'm not getting the accuracy that I want. Most groups have hovered around 1.5" with one down to .75. I'm new to the AR platform and everyone keeps telling me to put at least 200 rnds thru it then it well settle down and shoot better. We'll see. Good luck with yours and keep us posted on how it comes out.
Ricky

DWWC
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JReed wrote:Looking good. Just one question why the Wilde chamber? Do you have a large stash of 5.56x45 NATO on hand?
OK, what is a "Wilde" chamber...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thanks for the clarification,I thought U were refering to something Legal in Ca. As far as Competition I know nothing about them.
O another note U can get a complete A2 minus the Lower and a different barrel from Sarco.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

That looks like a lot of fun... 8)
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

pwl44m wrote: what is a dcm legal A2 upper ?
For NRA highpower rifle competition, such as at the National Matches at Camp Perry, a rifle for service rifle class must visually look like the standard AR15 so limited modifications are allowed. The primary modification for an AR15 is to use a barrel that is much heavier under the handguards, and use a special free float tube under the handguards so the handguards and sling attach to the front of the float tube and nothing attaches to the barrel. What I've been told is that no matter how heavy the barrel is, sling tension will bend the barrel slightly and affect the point of impact. Other common modifications are to use a rear sight with smaller aperture and finer adjustments, and a 2-stage trigger. There are several manufacturers and several gunsmiths that make suitable uppers, ranging in price from probably around $700-1000.

As for the OP's 1.25" group- this might be pretty good for ball (FMJ) ammo. With soft point or hollow point ammo I would expect groups to range from 1/2" to 1".
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

AJMD429 wrote: OK, what is a "Wilde" chamber...???
Actually it's Wylde. It's sort of a hybrid to allow .223 and 5.56 to be used without being as concerned over the chamber differences between .223 and 5,56.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Thats a pretty darn good look'n rifle...
and the fact you built it yourself and is a tack driver makes it even better!
good job.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very nice! 8)
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

bj94 wrote: As for the OP's 1.25" group- this might be pretty good for ball (FMJ) ammo. With soft point or hollow point ammo I would expect groups to range from 1/2" to 1".

I think that is very good groups for Fed Ball ammo, it's better then what I'm getting with several different Hand loads at this time.
Ricky

DWWC
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

AJMD429 wrote: OK, what is a "Wilde" chamber...???
A SAAMI spec .223 Rem chamber has a shorter leade with a sharper angle to the leade and a shorter amount of effective freebore than a 5.56mm NATO chamber. The freebore itself is also narrower in the .223 Rem chamber. This helps the .223 Rem chamber shoot more accurately than the 5.56mm NATO chamber. The 5.56mm is a higher pressure/velocity cartridge, but it is made to a military standard, with different test methods, (and therefore is not easily directly comparable to .223 Rem pressures). The general spec for US 5.56mm ammo is 58,700 psi max, measured at case mouth. Note this is a different method than SAAMI transducer or copper crusher, as used on commercial ammunition. 5.56mm ammunition spec results in ammunition loaded to a higher pressure level than commercial .223 Rem, but the test methods specified are different.

In short, you can safely fire all 5.56mm AND .223 Rem ammunition in a gun properly chambered for 5.56mm. You MUST NOT fire 5.56mm ammunition in a .223 Rem rifle. Tests have shown that XM193 5.56mm ammunition fired in a .223 Rem test barrel averaged pressures of 72,550 psi, and peak pressure registered at 76,250 psi. Since the SAAMI MAP for the .223 Rem is 55,000 PSI, that puts XM193 fired from a minimum spec .223 Rem chamber at 17,550 PSI over the maximum. Because the .223 Rem chamber has a shorter and sharper angled leade compared to the 5.56mm chamber as well as a shorter effective free-bore, the bullet engages the rifling sooner in the .223 Rem chamber than it would have in a 5.56mm chamber. This causes the pressure to rise faster, peak sooner and reach a higher (and per SAAMI, unsafe) level than it would have if the round had been fired from a 5.56mm chamber.

The Wylde chamber was developed to attempt to gain the increased accuracy of the .223 Rem chamber while still allowing the use of the higher pressure 5.56mm NATO ammo safely. The Wylde chamber has a longer leade / freebore dimension than the 5.56mm as well as the and the same leade angle but a tighter neck than a 5.56mm chamber. However, the .223 Rem Wylde chamber is not the same as .223 Rem chamber because it has the longer leade / freebore dimension similar to the 5.56mm. Therefore, you can shoot the higher pressure 5.56mm ammo safely in a Wylde chamber but also enjoy most of the benefits of the .223 Rem's better accuracy. So, in theory you'll shoot tighter groups using a Wydle chamber with better accuracy than a 5.56mm chamber while safely shooting both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammo.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

RKrodle wrote:
bj94 wrote: As for the OP's 1.25" group- this might be pretty good for ball (FMJ) ammo. With soft point or hollow point ammo I would expect groups to range from 1/2" to 1".

I think that is very good groups for Fed Ball ammo, it's better then what I'm getting with several different Hand loads at this time.
It's strange...I'd get a group of 3 or 4 darn near touching then whammo.....1 or 2 out there by themselves a 1/2" or so....gotta be the screwball behind the trigger....but I just have to see how this sucker breaks in over time....
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

stew71 wrote:
RKrodle wrote:

It's strange...I'd get a group of 3 or 4 darn near touching then whammo.....1 or 2 out there by themselves a 1/2" or so....gotta be the screwball behind the trigger....but I just have to see how this sucker breaks in over time....
I picked up my upper just this week and started shooting groups right away. I almost chunked the whole thing in a ditch after that. I was highly disappointed in the 1.5 inch + group sizes I was getting. Being new to the AR's I started asking around and reading and found everyone saying that if you don't have at least 200 rnds through it don't worry about it yet, keep shooting. This goes against everything I thought I knew. 86er spoke to a friend of his that is big into the AR's and the friend said he doesn't even sight one in until he has 500 rounds through it. I'm approaching 200 rounds, I put 80 down it yesterday afternoon, and it is starting to come around. I shot some groups earlier to day and they are under an inch but still kind of funny. There will be two touching and one flier, and the flier may be shot 1,2, or 3. I'll going to stay at it and see if it continues to improve. When I started this I was hoping for less than 1/2 inch groups. I don't know if I'll make it there but I dang sure am getting some trigger time :lol: . I'm going on a prairie dog hunt this weekend and the AR is coming along, I should have a couple of hundred more rounds through it come Sunday afternoon and will know more then. Good luck with yours. Oh by the way, mine has a 5.56 chamber so most of the brake in ammo has been cheap milsurp stuff.
Ricky

DWWC
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks great Stew 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

stew71 wrote:A JD Machine lower, Rock River trigger assembly and A2 stock. The upper is also from RRA with one of their 24" varmint barrels and a Wylde chamber. The rings you see in this photo are too low, so I have a Burris 1-piece mount/rings on order from SWFA.COM.

My initial tests last weekend with some Federal ball ammo showed that this rifle will prove to be extremely accurate if I do my part. The groups were running just a hair over 1.25" with the occasional flyer out to about a 1.5". (my fault).

She's a heavy mutha' though. This one's for long-range plinking and calling in 'yotes out at the dairy. Once the funds are built back up, I plan to put together a DCM-legal A2 upper for some competition. Maybe even pick up something in 6.8 SPC.

Although, I've had my eye on a Savage 99 in .300 and a Marlin 1895 in 45/70 over at the local toy store....sooooooooooooo...... :)

Anyways, this is my 1st AR and I can see why it's so fun to shoot. The ergonomics are simply wonderful...at least for me!

I thought ARs were banned in CA unless you owned it before the ban went into effect and registered it with the CA DOJ. Did I miss something in the way of new legislation?
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

With an explanation like he gave, I say COSteve should be editor in chief of all the gun rags! Most easily understood statement about a gun thing I've seen!

rimrock
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

NonPCnraRN wrote:
stew71 wrote:A JD Machine lower, Rock River trigger assembly and A2 stock. The upper is also from RRA with one of their 24" varmint barrels and a Wylde chamber. The rings you see in this photo are too low, so I have a Burris 1-piece mount/rings on order from SWFA.COM.

I thought ARs were banned in CA unless you owned it before the ban went into effect and registered it with the CA DOJ. Did I miss something in the way of new legislation?
They are leagle as long as the magazine is non removable. Meaning to load it you have to load it by pulling the rear pin on the reciever and pivot the upper on the front pin alowing access to load the mag.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Not So Jeremy, as long as it has a Bullet Button. The Mag is detachable but U have to use a tool (ie) the point of a bullet. Also there is a long list of Lowers that cannot be used unless it is registered as an Assault weapon and a much longer list of legal Lowers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.