How close is your gun.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

How close is your gun.

Post by Pitchy »

Not including concealed carry how close are you to a gun at all times.
Me, i carry a pistol while mowing the lawn, have a rifle setting by my recliner and carry it out in the yard or for walks. Sometimes i only carry a handgun while on the tractor and have a shotgun by the bed.
Anyone else love their guns this much. :roll: :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: How close is your gun.

Post by Old Savage »

Uh, I think I'll call ahead before I come. :)
Last edited by Old Savage on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Three days out of five, I work at home; the other two are out on the road. At home, a handgun is always within arm's reach, and my "Buckshot Rifle" (a Winchester 120 with Extra-Full Winchoke that will put all nine pellets of a OO buck load in to a torso silhouette at 50 yards) rests in it's hidey-hole next to the front door. On the road, it's usually a S&W 37-2 in the pocket.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

At home, within arms reach, or nearly so. Not so much on work days riding the motorcycle. But the rest of the time out of the home I almost always have a J Frame in leather vest pocket. I also have a nice ez open Cold Steel 4" folder in pocket that I can get into action as fast as the J Frame.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I almost always have a pistol on me if I am wearing pants. At home the chair I sit in the most is about 6 feet away from an extended mag Remington 870 with a Surefire fore end. It is out of sight. There is a Mossberg 500MILS in the trunk of the car. I used to keep an SKS in the car but gave it away.

I wish I could live somewhere where I didn't have a reasonable expectation of needing a buckshot gun but I have two more years before I can wrap this up. Last time I went out of town I caught myself watching my back as I was getting my stuff out of the car. I was in small town USA and thought how much different it was there than my locale. I could sure get used to that.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'll never tell :wink: :D . I'll just say there's one handy just about every place in this domicile.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

when my arm is straight by my side, my gun is between my elbow and my hand. I often sleep with it because I often sleep in a recliner. when I take a dump the gun is next to the tp. when I take a shower the gun is under the towel. often have another on my ankle, just in case. it's lighter than a full mag of 45 acp.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I carry mine in the shower. Haven't you guys ever watched Psycho? :o
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My 586 is never far away.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Well i must be normal then :lol:

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

TMI.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

what kind of gun? :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

not sure what normal is, in the house there every where,always 1 in
the pickup or more, carry a revolver out side always,mostly for rattle
snakes around here, when i lived in Wis. i took a walk behind the house one night & got charged by a giant Black Bear he came in roaring
like i never thought a bear was capable of sounding,he did stop bout 10 ft. away, i wasnt sounding much like a human right then, when he started popping his teeth & shacking his head i figured he was gonna try it , then he just walked off, i didnt have a gun that night & it would be a differnt story if i would have, i hate being caught off guard

ollogger
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

When I am in N.M. ( the mountains ) and I have to go out at night to get Gus ( black lab )
I have to take a flashlight to see him :lol: .
I always TRY to take my pistol for that very same reason.
As dry as it has been this year the bears are desperate, not thier fault.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

There is a .45 auto in my truck and a handy .38 Super in the house. Lets not forget my loaded up '97 Winchester trench gun in the closet. I seldom carry publicly, although legal to do so. Sorry, but I don't feel the need. I am not in the least bit panicked over the bad guys picking on me, either.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Griff wrote:TMI.
it's clean as a baby's bottom :lol:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Grizz wrote:
Ya both lost me here ??
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

TMI = ????? Somebody 'splain me this.
Mescalero wrote:When I am in N.M. ( the mountains ) and I have to go out at night to get Gus ( black lab )
I have to take a flashlight to see him :lol: .
I always TRY to take my pistol for that very same reason.
As dry as it has been this year the bears are desperate, not thier fault.
Here in IL Auto Zone has small 1.5" flashing read lights that you can clip to the dogs collar. Do that and he'll be easier to locate.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Good idea Joe
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Let's see... my sleeve length is 29 inches.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Well thats just wrong, guns are meant to be kept in safe's not carried around all over and given pet names and such. I WOULD NEVER KEEP ONE OR TWO CLOSE TO ME you know that. :lol: :lol:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I should of known better :oops: the gov will protect me. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

At work, no firearms. At home? There are guns aplenty but very little if any ammo. Bit of bird shot for when critters try to eat my chickens. I'm just not that worried about it and can't shoot at home recreationally because of how close the neighbors are so I keep my ammo where I do my shooting (friend has a lot of land).
If I were home alone I would keep my ammo there, but as things stand now I do not have a good gun safe and I consider it a higher probability for someone to hurt themselves with one than me to successfully defend someone with one. There is a 12 inch knife under the edge of my bed though. There was a loaded .357 magnum there but circumstances have changed and the scales have shifted to like I said, a higher risk of doing harm than doing good. I need to save up for a gun safe :/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Pitchy wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Ya both lost me here ??
I "think" Griff posted (T)oo (M)uch (I)nformation

since it followed my foto I replied that it was clean.... info, or tp, depending on whatever in the world Griff was referring to.

Anyway, just having a little fun.

I long ago decided that I wasn't stashing any firearms around the place 'cause I didn't want to face one if the bg got there first. Safest firearm is the one closest to me, for all concerned.

Grizz
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks for explaining, for the life of me i couldn`t figure out what that meant.
Was just courious not worried :)

I live in the country so it`s a little different than city dwellers although i don`t feel comfortable walking down the dirt road with a rifle anymore unless it`s deer season in fear that someone will call the law. We used to carry guns everywhere once apon of time but no more.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Got em staged all over the house... :twisted: So when we're here, they're very near. And when we're not, one's snug on my hip or riding in the car with us.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I carry all the time, one handgun or another. Most days, my carry is S&W Trail Boss with stag grips in .44 mag, stoked with Buffalo Bore Personal Defense Ammo. Shot it today about 40 times at the range. I carry it in my knapsack to work, in my console of the truck while driving, on my hip in the woods.

When less is best, I go to a Kahr Pm-9 either on my hip, or small of the back, or under a shirt. I carry this one alot while at the farm taking care of the mule.

When even less is needed, I have a NAA Ranger in .22mag in my back pocket. Sometimes it is carried in addition to others. I'm currently sitting on it in my right rear jeans pocket. When I run, hike in shorts, or in church, it is on my person.

Home defense is normally the S&W as I prefer a revolver over semi, but I do have my Kimber Raptor II on my night stand, the 3 inch trail boss is normally on the floor by the cell phone. I have a 12 bore sxs close by if needed. A rossi .44 mag trapper is also loaded and rests beside the sxs when it is in the house.

A rossi .44 mag trapper, soon to be worked over by NKJ, is my truck rifle. I remove it each night from the truck. It rides in a carrier provided to me by 2nvdoc, that holds three riflesand keeps this one close but out of sight. This is my truck rifle because the Smith in .44 is normally with me. I carry reloads for the smith in speed loaders, and on speed clips for the rifle. If I leave the truck, the Smith goes in a backpack, and normally the NAA is my right rear pocket.

I normally have one or two knives on me. Outdoors, a Bosse fixed blade bowie is my primary. A benchmade auto opening blade is one in my pocket all the time. Another trapper made by Buck, is the other blade I carry daily or I switch out with my letherman WAVE.

I carry a high intensity compact flashlight with me in my pack or clipped on my belt.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Yes, there is always one close to hand in the home.Plus I have a CCW permit, so I reckon there is not much chance of being empty handed should the need arise.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pitchy wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Ya both lost me here ??
I wuz a little slow, I was referring to Grizz's pic with the pistol & TP.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Savage wrote:Uh, I think I'll call ahead before I come. :)
Good idea!

While at home, I am usually never more than 20 feet from one. My issue is that we have children in the house. I'm not worried about Y2K or his sister, but with their friends running through, I have to keep that in mind.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Wow,
Normally with exception of walking my log trails(in the woods) guns are inside.
Even at night walking my dogs dont carry a gun around the 3 acre yard!
Did grab one other night cause a bear was next to house acting kinda weird?
But honestly, my yellow Lab is like no dog I have ever had.(have had Dobes,German Shepards,Bull Terriers)
This 100lb (unneutered male) is absolutely fearless and walking him at night(trust me,dont need a gun) :lol:
Just my Maglite and the Chaz Man!

No honestly guys I laugh when I think of that TV guy(Dr.Brady Barr)where he did the tests on dog bites(pressure)and said the Lab only had something like 120lbs pressure???? No kidding! the dog was fetching something(soft mouthed)????????

Take a big ticked off lean 100lb male Lab that still has his boys and trust me his biting power is as strong as any other dog,including the bull terriers I have had!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My black lab chews on my arm all the time, but he is gentle as a lamb.
Is that normal?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Got em staged all over the house... :twisted: So when we're here, they're very near. And when we're not, one's snug on my hip or riding in the car with us.

Yep, me too. I refuse to be a government statistic.

Its not being paranoid as most gun guys are know to others that "hey! he's got a mess of guns over at his house", so............its just being protective.-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Usually very close. If I'm outside it's somewhere nearby, usually not on me as I don't want it in the way and/or getting beat up. But usually within a couple of strides away. I make a lot of enemies. Most of the ones I'm most concerned with are still in prison, but they have friends, family and cohorts. And if I've ever learned anything in my years of LE it's you never know what someone's capable of doing.

I'm a big proponent of everyone is first and foremost responsible for their own safety. If LE get's there before bad things happen, great, but if they aren't there it's up to the individual to take care of their and their's protection. I'm a sheep dog not the sheep.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

kimwcook wrote:I'm a big proponent of everyone is first and foremost responsible for their own safety. If LE get's there before bad things happen, great, but if they aren't there it's up to the individual to take care of their and their's protection. I'm a sheep dog not the sheep.
+1! But... in my situation, I'm on & off military bases with different military gear. While I'm on post, I feel fine, but between posts, I'm all on my own. I've had more'n one yahoo who followed too close for too long stopped and chatted up by the gendarmes! Situational awaresness is often more important than armament.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Gun...! :o What gun...? :lol:

Like Ted Nugent said, "I'd really be uncomfortable if I had a single gun in the house." :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

You've heard the saying "A man's home is his castle". Well not here in the People's Republik of Hawai'i, there is no "Castle law" here. No CCWs are issued either. Not only that but the law requires that all firearms as well as ammo be kept under lock and key but get this- firearms, and ammo must be kept stored separately. I am a law abiding citizen. If some drug crazed diabetic paranoid schizophrenic breaks into my home with intent to kill my family I'm in trouble even if I do succeed in unlocking both ammo & gun in time to put down the monster. :roll:
I think I'll retire in Texas. :wink:
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mescalero wrote:My black lab chews on my arm all the time, but he is gentle as a lamb.
Is that normal?
Ya,they are mouthers------BUT
Know I am off topic but got to tell you 3 weeks ago I am sitting in this big leather chair,my dog Charlie loves those beef filled rawhide chews(shaped like a cigar)I call them stowgys! He proudly walks around with em sticking out the side of his mouth like a cigar.
Anyway over the last year he has gotten a habit of climbing halfway up on the chair(back feet still on the floor rest of him in my lap while I hold one end of his stowgy he chews on it.
So, while I am in the process of saying to the wife(look,I cant believe this dog can let me hold this thing right up to the very end without biting me(Wham)my left index finger(not trigger finger thank God)must have got between his rear molars and he almost bit the 1/3 top of the finger clean off. It was that quick, he didnt even know anything happened and just looked at me as if to say(hey,why did you stop holding it?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I think I'll retire in Texas. :wink:
And be welcome also!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:You've heard the saying "A man's home is his castle". Well not here in the People's Republik of Hawai'i, there is no "Castle law" here. No CCRs are issued either. Not only that but the law requires that all firearms as well as ammo be kept under lock and key but get this- firearms, and ammo must be kept stored separately. I am a law abiding citizen. If some drug crazed diabetic paranoid schizophrenic breaks into my home with intent to kill my family I'm in trouble even if I do succeed in unlocking both ammo & gun in time to put down the monster. :roll:
Ji, that sounds just like the UK. :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ji

I'd say your human rights are impinged by the state.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrizz
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

OK-----------Rule Change!
While brush cutting my (seasonal driveway)today at 2pm which is my second driveway I use in decent weather(late April-mid November,quite the view )which is long and winds through the deep woods, here I am running my Stihl FS66 which sounds like a chainsaw.

After about an hour,I shut it down to let it cool a minute and to refill. 15 minutes go by and I look up the driveway through the woods towards the house and about 300ft up whats standing there just looking at me.(That big boar bear)
I would guess it goes about 450-500lbs and its just staring at me?? This bear just gives me a bad feeling.
I grab the Stihl refire it up and yell at it while walking towards it winding up the Stihl. I was surprised the bear waited a little bit then just turned and slowly walked along the gorge.
Thats it(gun is now going to be always outside)my dogs were chilling in the basement(its cool there)which actually I was glad.

So until my handguns come through from Pa to NY(getting NY permit) got the 20" 12ga Ithaca Deerslayer stoaked with 5 Brenekee Green Lightnings :wink:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Fun informative thread but,,,
I think I’ll side step the “what” “where” & “when”
and maintain that military taught “element of surprise” :wink:
In my mind exactly what the CCW permit is all about.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Pitchy wrote:Not including concealed carry how close are you to a gun at all times.
Me, i carry a pistol while mowing the lawn, have a rifle setting by my recliner and carry it out in the yard or for walks. Sometimes i only carry a handgun while on the tractor and have a shotgun by the bed.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pitchy wrote:
Pitchy wrote:Not including concealed carry how close are you to a gun at all times.
Yeah I read your original post and understood it Pitchy :D
But I'm still going to refrain from the potential of TMI :wink:
I'm guilty of that enough as it is :lol:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

casastahle wrote:
Pitchy wrote:
Yeah I read your original post and understood it Pitchy :D
But I'm still going to refrain from the potential of TMI :wink:
I'm guilty of that enough as it is :lol:
That`s cool bro, and i understand those that don`t feel comfortable mentioning where and how they use their guns. That`s why i kinda pointed this thread towards people that live in the country not the city. Heck ya seen how i run around my place shooting up everything i see :) and in the country there are wolves and bears to think about.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I carry everywhere except a couple of defense type plants. They get a bit nervous about guns, go figure. Otherwise, while at home, I have a couple about the house so there's pretty much always one in easy reach. I don't have a "shower" gun though, I'm not that far gone. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mescalero wrote:My black lab chews on my arm all the time, but he is gentle as a lamb.
Is that normal?
Dogs are pretty smart, they know when to "mouth" something, and when to bite. Growing up we had a 150# Standard Poodle (yes, he was that big, and no he wasn't fat). He often would just grab hold of my arm and hold it in his mouth as I lie on the floor watching TV. Yea, I know, I was too close, but I ain't blind yet. :mrgreen: It was just his way of "claiming" never did it with anyone else in the family. The biggest problem was that he left my arm all covered with dog drool. :lol:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:You've heard the saying "A man's home is his castle". Well not here in the People's Republik of Hawai'i, there is no "Castle law" here. No CCWs are issued either. Not only that but the law requires that all firearms as well as ammo be kept under lock and key but get this- firearms, and ammo must be kept stored separately. I am a law abiding citizen. If some drug crazed diabetic paranoid schizophrenic breaks into my home with intent to kill my family I'm in trouble even if I do succeed in unlocking both ammo & gun in time to put down the monster. :roll:
Okay, what the heck is wrong with being Diabetic?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

jeepnik wrote:I carry everywhere except a couple of defense type plants. They get a bit nervous about guns, go figure. Otherwise, while at home, I have a couple about the house so there's pretty much always one in easy reach. I don't have a "shower" gun though, I'm not that far gone. :mrgreen:
watch "Psycho", if that doesn't change your mind about the shower nothing will. Lots of criminal activists waits for someone to get into the shower, perfect cover.

I'm just saying..... I don't care to play roulette with the odds and probabilities. If I could predict exactly when the bg was gonna strike, I'd be wildly rich.

Best
Grizz