The Boy man'd up this week

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
muddydog
Levergunner

The Boy man'd up this week

Post by muddydog »

I took my 10 year old boy to the cabin this week. we have a shooting range on sight with targets at 40 and 100 yards. He was getting some range time with a his Varmit Barreled 77/22 and deer rifle, a Howa Youth 7mm-08. While picking up brass, he looked at me and asked if I brought my .444. When I replied I did, he grinned and said "can i shoot it". what could I say? he is an experienced hunter, already has kills on Deer, Hogs, Ducks and Rabbits. Can you deny someone who asks to shoot the big rifles?

For years, he has been fascinated with the Winchester Big Bore 444. He loaded it without instructions or help, walked up to about 20 yards away from the target and "WHAM.. CLIIIik CLIIiiK.. WHAM"

2 shots both in the black. The look on his face I assume must have been very similar to the first cave man to discover fire.

I am amazed, for a light weight rifle with massive firepower, how little recoil those rifles have. I honestly think most of his shoulder bruising came from bench shooting that 7mm-08.

I guess I'm on the lookout for another one, cause he's not getting mine just yet.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: The Boy man'd up this week

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations on bringing your son up right! :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Glad to hear your boy loves to shoot....ya done good! :wink:
Always wanted a 444....surprised to hear it does not have much recoil...
I also hear it a pretty good brush gun!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
muddydog
Levergunner

Post by muddydog »

we hunt heavy timber in SE Oklahoma. I've killed deer with probably 25 different calibers and so far, I have not found a cartridge that kills as quick. non CNS shots seem to have the same effects as a CNS shot. Boom! lights out and a stretch out.

one thing we have noticed is there is very little meat waste. far less than regular centerfires. another issue is how accurate it is. I shoot a XS tritium bead on the front and I have not found one person that did not shoot it well.

It's a shame the gun isn't produced anymore. I was shocked at how expensive they are now on Gunbroker. they have doubled in price.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

muddydog wrote:I guess I'm on the lookout for another one, cause he's not getting mine just yet.
Been there and done that...! :lol:

That's how I got my stainless Marlin 1894 - I let my son use my blued one to take his first deer, and the 'family rule' is that you get the gun you take your first deer with. Well, I had to replace it, and yet I could say sort of honestly "Honey, this here new gun I'm gettin' is for the boy - not for me..." :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very cool 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

8) :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

game keeper wrote:Congratulations on bringing your son up right! :D
+1 :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

muddydog wrote: I guess I'm on the lookout for another one, cause he's not getting mine just yet.

Find him a nice old (1964 to 1971) Marlin in 444 !

Easier to come by , easier on the wallet and nine times outta ten will shoot a bit better with jacketed or cast .

And this is coming from someone that HAS owned about 30 different rifles chambered for 444 (and still have two dozen). And shot both brands !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
muddydog
Levergunner

Post by muddydog »

6pt-sika wrote:
muddydog wrote: I guess I'm on the lookout for another one, cause he's not getting mine just yet.

Find him a nice old (1964 to 1971) Marlin in 444 !

Easier to come by , easier on the wallet and nine times outta ten will shoot a bit better with jacketed or cast .

And this is coming from someone that HAS owned about 30 different rifles chambered for 444 (and still have two dozen). And shot both brands !
this is what i had planned. that would give him the ability to scope it out if he ever wanted too.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Nice, My BB .444 kicks like a mule, but, in a tight spot, when after something big and mean, you won't feel it at all.