1876 Winchester on GB, what do you think?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

1876 Winchester on GB, what do you think?

Post by rangerider7 »

"That'll Be The Day"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1876 Winchester on GB, what do you think?

Post by kimwcook »

Looks good overall, but it appears the woods been sanded and the metal cleaned up. Bore looks trashed, but I don't have it in my hands to look at it myself. A bit overpriced for what it is IMO.

I have never had a '76 in my hands, but I did stay at a......Seriously, they are a big bodied rifle and I suspect pretty heavy. Would love to have one in 45-60.
Old Law Dawg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've only had the oppurtunity to really handle one "original" 1876 and that was a 50-95 a fellow had for sale about 5 miles from my house . The one I looked at was in a little worse shape although I don't think the stock had been sanded . But the bore looked pretty much the same as this rifle . I looked at the 50-95 6 or 7 years ago and the guy was asking $6500 then . Now I never heard if he sold it and if he got what he was asking . And true the 50-95 is a bit more rare then this rifle . But I'm not so sure the price on this one is really that far out of line if any .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Check his other auctions. He has an octagon barreled 45-60 for $4500 that might be worth the money. The round barrel and under-sized wood ruins the $3000 rifle for me.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

That '76 is worth $1500-1800. Both metal and wood cleaned and touched up. It might be a good shooter, but you would be taking your chances on the condition of the action. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

It is always interesting to here the opinions expressed on the forum. :) I could tell the wood had been sanded and the bore was rough. I have never seen a 1876, even in this condition go for 1500.00 here in Texas, but interesting just the same. Mike where is the touch up, educate me.
"That'll Be The Day"
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Looks suspiciously like some cold blue has been wiped on the barrel and tube. It may also have been applied lightly to the frame, but the pics are unclear. I have purchased better for less than a "G" here in CA. Granted, not in the last 5 years, but far more reasonable than what you see there. call me biased, but I don't like the looks of most overpriced and overdescribed Winchesters. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I agree, my first thought too was that it had been cleaned and touched up, not that I wouldnt have done it too were it mine. Looks straight. I dont know the going value.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I'm not in the market for the rifle but the last few photos, with the better light, I just can't see any cold blue application. I'll never know but thanks for the input, y'all just increase my knowledge in what to look for.
"That'll Be The Day"