Freechec tool?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Freechec tool?

Post by gundownunder »

Last night I read an article by Jim Taylor on the Freechec tool.
The write up seems to suggest that this tool could do some really major improvement to cast bullet shooting without the $75 per 1000 price tag that we have to pay in Oz for gas checks.

For the guys that have got one, when used in a .357 Marlin would they work as good as Jim suggests?

Is this tool still being made?
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Freechec tool?

Post by Jeff H »

http://www.freechex.net/

I have never used one and avoid GCs as much as possible due to the cost and one more tiny little thing to handle in the porcess of making up a load. I am not a GC hater either and use them when I have to - just prefer not to.

The foks on the castboolits forums talk about thenm once in a while if you are interested in wandering that way.

I did try a tool that was suppose to make No. 11 percussion caps out of pop cans and toy caps once but the toy caps I could find were so pathetic that I gave up on the idea.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Can't say much about freechek, but Pat Marlin on Castboolits makes a heckofa gas check die (in many more calibers than "frechec's" .30 only tool) as well as a bunch of other cool reloading stuff...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=104930

I'm sure he's be happy to accommodate you down under...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Some years back .. in the previous century .. Paco Kelly and Ed Wosika developed the Freechec tool and marketed them. There was quite a bit of machine work involved in making them and it wasn't really a profitable deal.

They were made in a number of calibers. I used them in .38/.357 .44 .45 Colt/454

For marginally lubed bullets they made a world of difference when pushing the limits on cast bullet velocity. Additionally you could run softer bullets faster with them.

The original concept was NOT a gas check for a gas check bullet. It was to put a gas check on a Plain Base bullet. This allowed Plain Base bullets for which there was no gas check equivalent to be run at higher-than-normal velocities, especially from rifles.

We shot many many thousands over a 10 year period and were able to verify in detail all of the above.

--- They ARE more work
--- They are NOT needed if you are already getting the desired velocity/accuracy levels with your present bullet(s)

They are not an "answer" to many questions. Instead they are another option for the guy who loves to tinker with cast bullets.

Sorta like melting down old carburetors and fuel pumps and casting bullets from them. Which is another chapter in the book of frustrations and joy.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

"Old carburetors and fuel pumps"?????

What would that give you? A zinc bullet?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I have one of Paco Kelly's free check tools for 30 caliber size. Works very well. The original intent is to use soda or aluminum beverage cans which are normally .006 thick. I found used Off set printing plates from a print shop work better, it is thicker and is an alloy of Aluminum and probably Zink, the big sheets give you a whole bunch of 30 caliber gas checks. Don't know about other types being made now. Always wanted one for plain base bullet design so I could expand my inventory of gas checked bullets. FWIW. They are a good item to have. Good Luck in your quest.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I have one in .44 cal. The only problem I've had is soda/beer cans are only .006" - .008" thick and for my molds I need something closer to .012" - .015". This only means that I have to buy sheet metal (alum./brass/copper) so that cuts out the "convience" aspect of the tool. Last used on my Lyman 429244, OK as far as I could tell. But I have worked up a load for a Lyman 429421 that needs no GC so I haven't used the tool for a couple years...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

Charlie made me 4 freechex up last year, .243, .308, .338 (for 33 WCF), & .44. He was most helpful & even liased with Jim at CBE to make it match the custom mold I had ordered for 33WCF.
Pete
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party