WWII U.S marked Win 1894?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

WWII U.S marked Win 1894?

Post by abcollector »

Came across this over on GunBroker. Just something lever gun to talk about. I never realized Win 1894's were used by the government in WWII. Not saying it's not legit but the markings look very crisp.

Thoughts?
Combat Diver
Levergunner

Re: WWII U.S marked Win 1894?

Post by Combat Diver »

IIRC the US Govt did purchase some and issued them along the Alaskan highway when it was under contruction then. Never a front line rifle.

CD
De Oppresso Liber
Iraq 91,03,04,05,06,08, 09, 15 & 16
Afghanistan 09,10, 11 & 14
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Some 94's were purchased by Unlce Sam and issued to enforcement/security personnel during WWI for security purposes in the Pacific Northwest forests. The timber out there was a considered vital to the war effort. Collectors have a name for these rifles, Spruce Guns. I don't know if this is one of them, but they do exist.

Some were also used by US Prisons for guard duty and there are reports that the Canadian government also bought and issued some.

Here is a link to a good article about the Spruce Guns. It also gives some known serial number ranges.

http://www.winchestercollector.org/guns/w-mil.shtml

Edited to correct the right WW.
Last edited by Bruce on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

I recall reading a story, I think in American Rifleman, about U.S.Govt. use of 94's. They were issued to guards at bases and other such places, so the battle rifles could be issued to fighting men. They used them along with shotguns and the Riesing submachine guns instead of the M1's.
UNITE
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, there were approx 1800 US-marked 1894 Carbines delivered to various Gov't agencies during the WWI era, and some very rare examples in the WWII era.

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The only problem I see is that it's something that could so easily be faked in order to turn a six or seven hundred dollar rifle into a twenty-five hundred dollar rifle. It needs a letter!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I read years ago that the gov't issued 94 carbine for security service during WW2.
I have a gunsmith friend that has three 94 recievers marked as Arkansas Department of Prisons, he bought them at a state auction.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

As far as "prison guard" guns go, only Federal prison's would have guns with "US" markings, not State prisons.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I fear it`s a FAKE!!! Without a letter , NO WAY!! :shock:
lozen
Levergunner

Post by lozen »

I think it's fake too. Wrong ser# range. Should be US not U.S.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

There was an article in the American Rifleman in the last two years about the "Spruce Guns" !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I would not feel undergunned with a model 1894 Winchester in hand versus Huns with 98 Mausers during WWI. :wink:
I always wanted a model 94 Musket.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
JBledsoe
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JBledsoe »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I fear it`s a FAKE!!! Without a letter , NO WAY!! :shock:
A letter from whom? A letter from the US Government? Not likely.
At any rate, it is not a spruce gun. Spruce guns were used to guard the spruce forest of the Northwest during WW1, not WW2. It was made during the time of WW2. A large number of the 94's were used during WW2 but not by the US. They were sold to Canada and England as a part of the lend-lease program and are so marked with respective proof marks. I agree with you guys, It's a fake. However, I learned years ago to "never say never", we are always learning something new.

fleetogreen
Levergunner

Post by fleetogreen »

Hello All, I have a Spruce Gun you are talking about but the numbers match the date range. I grew up in Grays Harbor of Washington and was told by my dad that this was for keeping peace between all the Loggers harvesting Spruce for the war effort. The person that you need to contact is Bert Hartman @ win1885@msn.com. He has done extensive research and can tell you if you have one that is not a fake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.