Guns that tell stories - the Winchester 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Guns that tell stories - the Winchester 71

Post by cubrock »

I love guns that tell stories. That is why I started gun collecting in the old military realm. If you knew how to listen, the guns could tell you of battles fought, countries seen, sometimes even of a former owner's death. I once had a Japanese Arisaka with two bullet holes in the stock - one just below the cheek weld. A dark stain covered the shattered wood at that point. It doesn't take much imagination to determine what happened to the soldier who once carried that gun.

I bought this Winchester 71 this past weekend at a local gun show. It, too, has stories to tell - stories that have been silenced forever by its former owner's death. One of his friends was at the show selling the deceased man's collection, which included a lot of neat leverguns. The dealer told me that this 71 was his friend's main hunting rifle for over 50 years. If I got the story right, the man was the original owner of this gun, produced somewhere around 1947. The gun has aged gracefully. He obviously cared for it well, but its blue wear is quite telling.

The first thing that struck me about this gun was that that bottom of the receiver forward of the lever and around up both sides was worn smooth. I placed it in my hand, confirming my suspicion that the worn area was the perfect balance point for carrying the gun. The top left side of the barrel shank has a small wear area that was perfectly covered by my right thumb as I held the gun in this position. The top corner of the right side of the receiver also showed wear - wear that perfectly matched the area covered by the heel of my hand as the gun's weight rested in it.

Not only was this gun cared for, it was carried - a lot. It was carried by a man who hunted a lot on foot and knew exactly how to balance a levergun for long walks. This same man was right handed and his hands were nearly exactly the same size as mine. The fit of my hand is an eerily perfect match to the worn areas on the gun.

I wish the gun could tell of the game it has killed. I wish it could share with us the sunrises it saw and the evenings spent hiking out of the woods at the end of a long day. These stories will now be told only in our imaginations as we dream of where this classic rifle has been and what it has seen. I am proud, though, that my hand, a perfect fit for that of the gun's former owner, will carry on that tradition. Only, I hope to pass the rifle, along with all its new stories, on to the hands of another generation personally.

One of the last, great hunting rifles of a bygone era.

The serial number tells us this gun began life in 1947. The smooth wear tells us that this gun has been carried a lot since then.

The man obviously had good taste in sights. Note the wear on the bottom edge of the receiver - wear from the fingertips of the former owner's right hand.

The above wear shown again, with the wear on the barrel shank from the right thumb.

The top edge of the right side of the receiver shows wear from the palm of the hunter's hand. While many leverguns show that they were carried long miles in saddle scabbards, guns like this whisper of years spent afield on foot.

Last edited by cubrock on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
.........THE TWINS..........

nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

No doubt that is a sweet rifle. Even if you don't know it's past, just imagining the adventures it's been on will make future adventures that much sweeter. I hope you get to pass on a lot of great stories with it.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Beautiful rifle with an honest, and well-earned history.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

All M-71's tell stories, just like the one you told from your observations.The M-71 tells a story of a bygone era when the hunts we imagine really happened.That rifle keeps those stories and its history alive to those of us who are luckey enough to own one. You have a beautiful rifle in more ways than one. Cograts !!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hartman »

Beautiful!!!

Hartman
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I had a chance to hold cubrock's new 71 when we were walking the show, and it was a beauty that sang with character! :D 8)

I came home with nadda - zip - zilch. :(

Okay, not exactly. I did pick up a little pocket knife for my daughter - to go with her pink-stocked rifle! :wink:

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

cubrock,as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and when I beholding an old Winchester I my hands they are are piece of beauty. If only our minds could see their stories. thanks
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

That is truly a great pocket knife, and the M71 was OK too. :D

Seriously, Great looking rifle! I wish I could run across one like that.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Perfect! :wink:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

What caliber is it? Looks great!
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Great post, thanks for sharing this.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Very nice.
They do tell stories, don't they?

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

Nice write-up Cubrock.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thanks for sharing your thoughts, I would agree that each gun tells its story to those quiet enough to hear. Best of luck with that rifle and may you add to the list of its stories.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

MikeS. wrote:What caliber is it? Looks great!
.348 Winchester. Ironically, I sold several boxes of it a few weeks ago, thinking I wouldn't be needing them anytime soon. :shock:

cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

pharmseller wrote:Very nice.
They do tell stories, don't they?

Quinn

Quinn,

What is engraved on the side of that 71? That is a neat old rifle.

pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

It's my grandpa's name and address. That deluxe 71 is the first and only rifle he ever owned that was bought new. My dad told me that grandma bought it it for him for Christmas and he carried it with him all day, like a child would carry a teddy bear. Wouldn't put it down.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

pharmseller wrote:It's my grandpa's name and address. That deluxe 71 is the first and only rifle he ever owned that was bought new. My dad told me that grandma bought it it for him for Christmas and he carried it with him all day, like a child would carry a teddy bear. Wouldn't put it down.

Quinn

That is too cool - neat rifle with family history!

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've always wondered if the factory put some of those Lyman side peeps on the 71 Standards back when they were made. I've had a couple just like that and they both had that same Lyman sight ... the model number escapes my fading memory at the moment.

I've seen the Redfield as well on 71's but the Lyman is so prolific on the guns from the late 40's and early 50's that it seems as though they came that way out of the box.

I believe that sight can still be purchased from Lyman but it's now made of black anodized aluminum rather than steel.

Does anyone know if Winchester mounted those at the factory?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Wonderful... :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

That's my kind of rifle! Honest wear like that trips my trigger.

My buddy Jeff likes them minty, 98% or better condition. I like them with honest wear like you described.

That is probably why we get along so well....we make a good team at the gun shows!

Wm
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Very nice rifle....if only she could talk? 8)
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I've always wondered if the factory put some of those Lyman side peeps on the 71 Standards back when they were made. I've had a couple just like that and they both had that same Lyman sight ... the model number escapes my fading memory at the moment.

I've seen the Redfield as well on 71's but the Lyman is so prolific on the guns from the late 40's and early 50's that it seems as though they came that way out of the box.

I believe that sight can still be purchased from Lyman but it's now made of black anodized aluminum rather than steel.

Does anyone know if Winchester mounted those at the factory?

Yes, the Lyman 66 was a factory option. :D

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Congrats cubrock, nice looking 71!
Good honest ware on a fine old levergun that has been taken care of is very attractive.
I'm working on getting mine to look like it one of these years, God willing :D
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I would love to take a new lever gun, and carry it and use it till it looks like that. All of mine are mostly really nice. Only my 94AE Trapper is just now beginning to show wear. But it will never have the character of that Win 71.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Super rifle. Imagine the miles she traveled with her owner.

Imagine the miles to come.

We are but caretakers of fine arms.

That's rifle to be proud of!

I am envious :)

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"