OT- My 10/22

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

OT- My 10/22

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

This is my 1976 vintage Ruger 10/22 my dad got me new (bicentennial special) when I was a young teenager. She was looking alittle tired so I stripped the stock finish, sanded it down then gave her several coats of "deck oil" which is 50/50 pine tar & linseed oil mix which is then diluted 10% with gum turpentine with final coats of pure Hawaiian kukui nut oil. My dad originally picked the 10/22 because it reminded him of his M1 Carbine which he carried throughout the Pacific Theatre during WWII. In honor of him I tried to make it look more like a M1 Carbine without altering the original by adding a Christie's handguard, and also a Eagle Zephyr receiver sight set.
The insides were improved with Volquartsen target hammer, seer, and spring kit as well as a Volquartsen extractor, and auto bolt release. Also a Ramline extended magazine release was added over 30 year ago. I have a Clark target trigger coming in the mail as well as a 1" butt pad to increase reach since I've grown a tad since 1976. :mrgreen: I will also be adding a larger bolt handle from a 10/22M. I think my dad would have approved.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- My 10/22

Post by 86er »

Wow - that's awesome!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

That is a good looking gun. It looks like the tool it was intended to be.

I believe that you have discovered the intended true form of the 10/22.

That does it... I am now officially ashamed of my Archangel stocked 10/22. :oops:

Well done, Ji!

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Yeah buddy! Something to be proud of for sure, Ji.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

best 22 for the $$$$
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hey now that`s a beauty. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Very nicely done. Not overdone, just right. Good job, Ji. That stock looks great.
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great looking job. I joined the 10/22 club earlier this year with a black and satin stainless. Love it so far.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Ji great looking rifle stock. I've been thinking of something like this for mine.

http://www.eabco.com/102201.html

I've even seen kits that make them look like Thompson subguns.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Ji, that is a beautiful oil finish on your stock.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I have a 1976 also. First brand new rifle I bought with my own money. Paid 99.99 at Sears. I have fired alot of rounds through it and never an issue. Nice refinish, I may just do something like that to mine because the miles are starting to show.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

FWiedner wrote:That is a good looking gun. It looks like the tool it was intended to be.

I believe that you have discovered the intended true form of the 10/22.

That does it... I am now officially ashamed of my Archangel stocked 10/22. :oops:

Well done, Ji!

:mrgreen:
Thank you. I had a plastic stock, stainless steel barrel, and 3x9x40 scope on this original receiver for almost 15 years but always had in mind turning her into a M1 carbine. I think it was last month I posted a link to eabco's M1 carbine style stock for the 10/22 but the $102.99 price tag (without sights) was way beyond my budget at the time. 2 weeks ago I found the Zephyr sights on EvilBay for $20.00 buy-it-now. I got that and the Christie's handguard ($15.00) then dug my original blued barrel, and walnut stock out of storage. The Volquartsen guts I installed 12 years earlier.
I think the Archangel stock is pretty darn nice especially if you're an AR kind of guy. My tastes are stuck in 1942 thanks to my dad's influence.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I LIKE it!

I've had a 10/22 for a long time and I put a folding stock and extended magazine on it as soon as the g'ment said I could again (never had thought about it before they said I couldn't).

I just acquired another for The Boy that should arrive this week.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Thanks for all the positive comments friends! I wonder why it took me so long to oil finish the stock? Most of my guns get the treatment within a year of acquisition.

My dad loved pine tar, put it on all his rifle stocks, all wood surfaces, even as a rust inhibitor on steel, he even tarred his own rope and twine as a preservative. He even loved his pine tar soap! When I first moved back here from Maui in '07 in the back corner of his workshop I found he still had 2 gallon cans left of Stockholm Tar from Sweden from a case of 4 he had ordered years before. The smell always reminds me of dad so this rifle will now also have a olfactory link to him as well. :D
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

The smell always reminds me of dad so this rifle will now also have a olfactory link to him as well.
Priceless!
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

Very nice!

I must have gotten mine in '77. Same deal - Dad got it for me.
Sometime in the mid-eighties. I refinished the stock much like you did and added a rubber recoil pad so it wasn't slippery. Mine is a "dee-lux" with the flat butt, so it was fairly wasy. I still use it today and it still looks great.

I have an old Redfield 2-7 on mine, but I do like your sights.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That's great Ji, I'm sure your Dad would love it. If you go to the Appleseed store they sell a cotton web sling that looks just like an M-1 Carbine.

http://www.appleseedstore.flyingcart.co ... =dept&id=5
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Rusty wrote:That's great Ji, I'm sure your Dad would love it. If you go to the Appleseed store they sell a cotton web sling that looks just like an M-1 Carbine.

http://www.appleseedstore.flyingcart.co ... =dept&id=5
Believe it or not I still have the original carbine sling from Dad's M1 carbine that he gave me over 35 years ago, and it's still in good shape. Maybe it's about time I retire it though and put it in a place of honor. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I love the color of the wood after you finished. Super job, Mano....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Very nice, looks just right to me. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Won't the heavier bolt-handle (from the 10/22 Mag) slow down the bolt-travel...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

After seeing yours, I might just have to join the 10/22 club. Very, very nice!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is a different look and --- this pair could pretty much do any thing reasonable.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very well done Ji, thanks for sharing. Your dad is certainly proud of what you did to it. Blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

AJMD429 wrote:Won't the heavier bolt-handle (from the 10/22 Mag) slow down the bolt-travel...?
The handle itself is aluminum so inimal difference in weight has no adverse effect on bolt speed. The 10/22 bolt handles are pretty small so there are allot of companies making lager cocking handle assemblies but only thing is they they anywhere from $50 on up, and most look atrocious in my opinion. Here's a decent looking one but at $53.00: http://powercustom.com/store/index.php? ... ucts_id=78
I just want a handle which more closely matches the one found on M1 carbines in size. A 10/22M handle runs $15 from Numrich arms which is still a tad steep for my current budget so will have to wait for next disability check.
Here's a good tutorial on how to install a 10/22m cocking handle on a 10/22 bolt: http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-10 ... -22-a.html
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sharp! Love those sights!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Our shop does a lot of 10-22 conversions so if anyone needs factory stocks or barrels I have a closet full. As is a 10-22 is a good reliable field gun and with a little tuning the factory barrel will hold up with a lot of so called target rifles.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Great job! A few years ago I lucked into a 30 year old NIB 10/22 - of an era that still had some nice real walnut stocks. This one reminded me very closely (astonishingly actually) of my M1 Carbines in terms of wood quality and texture, so--on this particular one--I'm hesitant to mess with a good thing. But sights are another matter.Ji's scarbine is intriguing as well though!
Chiappa is making a direct M1 Carbine clone in .22, right down to the magazine (must have a smaller insert), something I've never warmed to on the stock 10/22s was the skinny (fore and aft) and plastic banana mags. Always thought there had to be a better, more substantial way to house the lil' .22s. Those rimmed cartridges are the main culprit I gather for how thick (width) and long those had to be. The Chiappas appear to be an even closer M1 copy than the West German Ermas (aka Iver Johnsons?) of several years ago--of which I had one.
EDIT: maybe Chiappa's cancelled or rethinking? Absent from their website--was there just a few months ago (and in their catalog) as a new product. Shades of Taurus with their 18 month teasing of the now defunct (never released) lever in .32 H&R a few years ago?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Legacy Sports shows a CITADEL M1 Carbine 22RF on their website MSRP $331.00:
http://www.legacysports.com/products/cit_m1.html
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/defa ... m=CIR22M1S
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ji, now you've gone and done it. I already have three of these - the one my Dad gave me (also in the 1970's), a stainless-steel and polymer model I bought for Y2K, and the 10/22T I own. I think this would be a great way to built a "trainer" for the M1 Carbine, and one to shoot lots with the "cheap stuff". :mrgreen:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ji, that is a nice looking rifle. I took my son to the range on Wednesday and his 10/22 was putting Federal Bulk pack from Wal Mart into a 1/2 inch hole at 25 yards. A full 30 rounds into the bullseye. I know there are more accurate setups than the total factory original, but I don't think there are many.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

gak wrote:Great job! A few years ago I lucked into a 30 year old NIB 10/22 - of an era that still had some nice real walnut stocks. This one reminded me very closely (astonishingly actually) of my M1 Carbines in terms of wood quality and texture, so--on this particular one--I'm hesitant to mess with a good thing. But sights are another matter.Ji's scarbine is intriguing as well though!
Chiappa is making a direct M1 Carbine clone in .22, right down to the magazine (must have a smaller insert), something I've never warmed to on the stock 10/22s was the skinny (fore and aft) and plastic banana mags. Always thought there had to be a better, more substantial way to house the lil' .22s. Those rimmed cartridges are the main culprit I gather for how thick (width) and long those had to be. The Chiappas appear to be an even closer M1 copy than the West German Ermas (aka Iver Johnsons?) of several years ago--of which I had one.
EDIT: maybe Chiappa's cancelled or rethinking? Absent from their website--was there just a few months ago (and in their catalog) as a new product. Shades of Taurus with their 18 month teasing of the now defunct (never released) lever in .32 H&R a few years ago?
My case exactly, lucked into an approximate 30 year old 10/22--near as I could tell unfired or one mag--walnut too and a darn close facsimile of my GI M1Cs (stocks) as you describe. Sooo much nicer than so many I've seen and handled since--for my tastes.
+1 to another's post, the Citadels ARE the Chiappas and all over the internet. No experience with, but seem to have the right look!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Wow...

Did you really just respond to your own post and tell yourself that the same thing happened to you?

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FWiedner wrote:Wow...

Did you really just respond to your own post and tell yourself that the same thing happened to you?

:lol:
I've done that a couple times myself..... :oops: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Now that's good humor. It's good to laugh at somebody else for a change…
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

C'mon, guys... It's been three years for goodness sake!! Give him a break!!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

The threads I hate are when I contradict myself and then argue! No excuse for mental illness!

The OP sure made up a dandy 10-22, sure got me thinking!