Do you trim your handgun brass?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Do you trim your handgun brass?

Post by FWiedner »

... or do you use it a couple of times with real loads and then load down or toss it?

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Re: Do you trim your handgun brass?

Post by guido4198 »

I've trimmed some over the years. The .41 mag which I shoot for group and hunt with, the .357/44 B&D, and the .375 JDJ. All the others just get "loaded until lost" or show signs of possible failure.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I used to trim .45ACP. When I would buy a new batch (couple of thousand) I'd run all of it through a trimmer set up on my drill press because it headspaces on the mouth of the case. Don't do anything with the hundreds of 44-40 I load now days. The Lee factory crimp die puts a good crimp on regardless of length. Ditto for 32-20. 220 Swift gets checked for length and trimmed when necessary, but that's not handgun is it?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Exceedingly seldom. But then I don't do loads that push the envelope. New brass may need trimming to meet the case length my dies are set to, after that, it's rare that any give me a problem. But then, I only load for 3 pistol cartridges, .38/.357, .45ACP & .45Colt.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have never trimmed handgun brass until recently when I got a 45-70 barrel for my T/C, I trimmed that because the lengh varied too much and I wanted a consistant crimp using 5744. But I guess that does not count :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Trim it all for either consistent roll crimps or consistent headspace (as with 9mm and .45 ACP). Load it until it isn't up to standards and must be pitched.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Life is too short to trim 45 ACP, 9mm, etc. - unless you're REALLY going for accuracy.

I trim revolver brass, though.
And it IS a PITA.

-Stretch
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re:

Post by J Miller »

"Do you trim your handgun brass?"

Only if it exceeds the maximum case length, not trim to length, when full length sized. An exceedingly rare occurrence.

I am too poor to waste good brass by throwing them away when they shrink or no longer meet certain length criteria.
They get shot till they split or won't hold primers any more.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

"Exceedingly Seldom" .... "Exceedingly Rare" ..... :shock: :?: :!:

Hmmm, just not sure what to make of those. :?

Ohh, and I use to trim .44mag to overall case length but found it wasn't worth the effort. I do keep track of the number of times the brass has been sized and fired and when the lot starts to show wear, it gets chucked.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I only trim if the brass showing problems with length.
Old Law Dawg
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I don't shoot tons of full bore magnum loads in 44, and don't worry too much about the brass life, I have quite a bit of it. The medium loads I'm certaily not worried about as regards brass failure other than mouth cracks. I've never trimmed any handgun brass, don't think I've ever even checked length, other than running some thru the Lee hand trimmer, and they didnt cut any when I tried them. I recall reading many years ago an artical about Ross Seyfried, the then world champ in one of the "combat" shooting styles. He stated he never ever trimmed 45 auto brass, and never separated brass in any way, just shot them til he lost them or they cracked. I followed his lead on the matter of auto brass as well.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

guido4198 wrote:I've trimmed some over the years. The .41 mag which I shoot for group and hunt with, the .357/44 B&D, and the .375 JDJ. All the others just get "loaded until lost" or show signs of possible failure.
What do you shoot your .357/44 B&D in...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Never ever, from 45acp to 510GNR :D
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Nope, and shoot it til the neck splits and then toss it.
Ricky

DWWC
kragluver
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kragluver »

Nope - never had a need to.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Yep, for uniform crimp in revolver rounds, and for reliable head spacing and feeding in semi-auto rounds. Of course I'm on the quest of minute rock each and every time I pull the trigger.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

I just did several thousand 45 APC but only because th
ey were all range pickups. Free is my favorite thing.

Chris
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I would if I shot sillywet or some other "hot" loaded stuff where minute degrees of accuracy counted a lot.

But for most uses, in either .380, .45 ACP, or low to middle pressure revolver loads, brass is simply a gasket and a powder container. If it gives up I trash it, but even that is rare.
Certified gun nut
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I buy my brass new/un-primed and measure a few and if the sample is not over the spec. listed in the load manual I don't worry about it at all. Load em and shoot em. :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Re: Re:

Post by Ysabel Kid »

J Miller wrote:"Do you trim your handgun brass?"

Only if it exceeds the maximum case length, not trim to length, when full length sized. An exceedingly rare occurrence.

I am too poor to waste good brass by throwing them away when they shrink or no longer meet certain length criteria.
They get shot till they split or won't hold primers any more.

Joe
Joe is my twin! :D
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Even the cheapest stuff brass (well, except A-Merc, I wouldn't wish that on anybody) can be used many times without trimming, primer pocket care, etc. When I bought my first .45 Colt revolver, I bought the only box of .45 colt the place had, "3-D" cowboy loads (the blue box, new, not reloads). For probably two years, that was the only brass I owned. I loaded it HOTTTTTT many times, including heavy JHP bullets with doses of 2400 that made cases turn blue.... Not long ago I stumbled across one of those lonely old cases. I noticed it because it primed so easy, I probably coulda seated a primer with a thumb. There is almost no headstamp left visible, and the brass itelf is so weak, it won't honestly take a strong crimp anymore. But is it serviceable for plinkers? if that's all I had, I'd use it.
Certified gun nut
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I do spot check measurements after resizing. If some are over max, I trim the lot. If for no other reason, to keep the crimps as uniform as possible, One of my reloading books says to discard the cases when they need a fifth trimming, but I've been reloading for about 20 years and haven't reached that point with any of my brass. I probably need to shoot more!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

AJMD429 wrote:
guido4198 wrote:I've trimmed some over the years. The .41 mag which I shoot for group and hunt with, the .357/44 B&D, and the .375 JDJ. All the others just get "loaded until lost" or show signs of possible failure.
What do you shoot your .357/44 B&D in...?
Single action Ruger. I bought the .38/.357/9mm 2-cylinder combo and had a local gunsmith bore out the 9mm cylinder to take the .357/44 Bain and Davis round.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Nope. I shoot it until I see a split and throw it in my recycle bin.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Never... though I DO take a good look at my brass after shooting whompumstompers.

Only thing I've determined is that Nickle Plate & Kaboom don't go well together, so Whompumstompers get Brass Only from now on.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Case trimming is the part of handloading that I hate the MOST. Handgun brass seems to stretch VERY little compared to some rifle brass. I sure as hell anin't rich but I'm not so poor that the time spent trimming handgun brass isn't more valuable to me than the little it costs to buy new brass. By the time it has stretched too long is is getting near the end anyway. The brass that is trimmed off the neck came from somewhere that it was needed. Penny wise and pound foolish.
JesterGrin_1
Levergunner

Post by JesterGrin_1 »

If I get a bag of New Brass for my pistols I size and trim them one time. And as others I will check now and then and if need be will trim again. As I feel consistency is important in reloading. But everyone has there own way of doing things.

Much of this also depends on how HOT the load is and how tight of a crimp is used.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Never---For 99% of my revolver brass, when it splits, I wing it and replace it with one from the raw material box. Hunting brass is inspected with detail in mind. I don't care what Brian Pearce says, I can still hit a 10" gong at 300 meters with uninspected brass out of a proven gun and load :D -----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD