Nosler Partition bullet performance

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Nosler Partition bullet performance

Post by getitdone1 »

Wondering about how the Nosler Partition bullet has performed--on game animals-- for some of the members of this forum.

Seems to me it gives you two bullets in one. The front portion mushrooms for destruction and shock while the portion behind the partition acts as a solid. Therefore it would seem it is a bullet that is good for close-up and the longer shots. Is there any other bullet that is better for all distances?

I tried it with 3 cartridges on gallon, plastic milk jugs filled with water.

270 Winchester, 150 gr Partition bullet--Blew-up 5 and into #7. I was very impressed.
30-30, 170 gr Partition bullet--Penetrated 4 and cracked front of #5. (2 tries) 170 gr Silvertip did about the same.
243 Winchester, 95 gr Partition bullet--Penetrated 4 and into #5. Blew-up 1st jug impressively.

Below not Partition but interesting:

243 with Speer 90 gr FMJ--Penetrated 5 with bullet in #6. (Compare that with 375 H&H 300 gr FMJ penetrating 24. Also with 22 mag
rimfire FMJ penetrating 6. Need to try this 22 mag one more time.) Although illegal the 243 FMJ performance makes me wonder about it's worth on deer and larger game. W.D. Bell, famous elephant hunter, had no use for expanding bullets--on anything. I've read the same about some other African hunters. I think a reasonable question might be: How much does speed make-up for expansion? Also: how deadly have those of you who hunt coyotes for their pelts found the FMJ to be?

Don
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Nosler Partition bullet performance

Post by Bigahh »

My BIL Loads the 170 gr. Partition in his 308 MX as he was less than satisfied with the Factory Gummy Tips he started with. He has taken 2 Deer with them with Good results. He is not sure how much more velocity he is getting over a 30-30 if any.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I believe they are most useful for higher velocity rounds. What Don stated was exactly what the reason for them was, soft enough to expand at long distances and the lower velocities resulting from the range, with the rear section remaining intact for penetration when fired at close range which tears up a soft bullet. 30-30's don't develop enough velocity to destroy a bullet at close range, so good quality standard type bullets work well in general in the range the cartridge is used in. I believe the game results of one of our guys bore that out, the partitions in 30-30 werent really any better than Speer bullets of the same weight regarding penetration or expansion. I may be mistaken, but that's my recollection.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Malamute wrote:I believe they are most useful for higher velocity rounds. What Don stated was exactly what the reason for them was, soft enough to expand at long distances and the lower velocities resulting from the range, with the rear section remaining intact for penetration when fired at close range which tears up a soft bullet. 30-30's don't develop enough velocity to destroy a bullet at close range, so good quality standard type bullets work well in general in the range the cartridge is used in. I believe the game results of one of our guys bore that out, the partitions in 30-30 werent really any better than Speer bullets of the same weight regarding penetration or expansion. I may be mistaken, but that's my recollection.

Malamute,

Occured to me that the Partition might work better on large bone than same weight bullets of other brands. Even with the 30-30. You do have that hard partition to stay relatively "square" and intact (perhaps "cut through" the bone) while the standard bullets might continue to mushroom--especially on shots taken at an angle--and glance off of the bone rather than penetrate. To a lesser degree even with a non-angular shot.

Don
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Nosler's arent needed for 30-30, not going fast enough to destruct even if you hit pin bone, cup & core or cast work just fine.
FMJ are my choice for fur hunting in 22 mag 40 gr and 22 CF 55 gr. little holes.
A HCGC bullet acts like a FMJ not much expansion.
Just a side note Don at one time I did a test with 223 55gr. FMJ at 3200 splattered when I hit 1/2" plate steel slowed it down to 2400 drilled a hole thru it. explains why bullets fail. danny
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Ive got a limited # of 2cents. Ive used the 243 95gr, the 7mm 140 and 150gr, and the 308 180 and 165 gr. Mostly on whitetails, mostly overkilled, but no bullet failures. I have had a 7mm accubond fail on a broadside 100# whitetail; gave an exit hole of 1/4", while ruining the nearside;neck to haunch. The biggest animal taken was a blue wildebeast my daughter shot back in May ; 308W, 165gr Partition.70 yd. Ran 45 yds and piled up, top of heart missing, 1 1/4" sized exit wound, good blood trail if needed, not this time, she just does what the PH told her to do. The whitetails with all the above bullets were taken from 10yd to over 300 and were all 1 shot kills. The only bullet recovered so far was a 165gr a colleague used on a quartering shot on a big mulie, it stopped in the neck. You cant go wrong with them, except the price is getting kinda high for sighting in ammo. They even have a 224 version that has a good rep in Texas(internet) for hunting their whitetails.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Regardless of caliber, the Partition has been the overall best performing bullet I have seen or used among all my clients and game. The Swift A-Frame seems as good but I have much less data. Rhino bullets are bonded fronts with solid shanks instead of lead filled. They are by far the best performers of any bullet I've ever used or seen. The Kodiak bullets are hard to come by and do not have any type of "partition" but overall have proved to provide equal penetration, expansion and weight retention with the same bullet weight and velocity.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I've used them in the past and they are the only hunting bullet I loaded unless they don't make the caliber I need, like 303 or 444. They expand very well and the solid rear shank assures no possibility of bullet failure. I found them built to expand readily as well.

If I hunted with a 30-30 I'd use the 170 Partition in mixed bush were moose and elk might be the target or grizzlies might roam. Please note that I'm a double blood trail advocate so I like a bullet that punches two holes if possible.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

8 of the 11 elk I've killed have fallen to a 180 gr. .30 cal Partition.
The first 3 I used a .30-06 and Remington Core-lokts. 40 to 60 yard shots. Very dead elk.
Bulls 4 through 8 I thought I needed a .300 WBY mag. 40 to 125 yards. Very dead elk.
Bulls 9 through 11 I used my .30-06 again, with handloaded Partitions going about 2800 ft/sec. Very dead elk.
I use Partitions because they shoot well in my rifle. At close to $40 for a box of 50 I am looking at alternatives.
Placement, placement, placement.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I've been a big fan of 243 for long distance shooting since 1968. But for decades, 100% penetration was very uncommon. The bullet produced ghastly internal damage to the chest organs but did not exit. Nosler Partition and Speer Hot Core (fusion) bullets resolved this by producing Premium bullets.

My wife hunts with a custom 6.5mm Browning. She has taken 600 lb elk with this rifle shooting 140 grain Nosler Partition. This cartridge performs far better on game than paper charts would suggest.

The .223 and 22-250 have been elevated to deer and hog killer status by use of good big game bullets such as Nosler, Barnes, and others. The performance of these small bore cartridges must be observed to truly appreciate their killer status.

In contrast, I doubt that a Nosler Partition loaded into medium velocity cartridges such as 30-30, 35 Remington, and others can increase penetration. These cartridges have always produced deep straight line penetration because velocity and jacket construction are "just right". Nosler's bullet configuration is limited by velocity in this example.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Don,
Would be very interested what a 12 gauge would do firing their Winchester Supreme sabot Load.
This load fires with the 2.75" & 3" chambers a .50"cal 385gr Partition bullet at 1900/2000 fps respectively.?

Am looking at buying a new 12ga Remington 11-87 synthetic Deer Hunter special in 12ga.(21" barrel/adj rifle sights)
Between the extremely low recoil/minimum muzzle jump/fast on target and also the ability to use the very latest in new shot this could be my ultimate "one" gun ?
Where I live------semi's are ok for big game!

ps---where I have had many jams with a Ruger 10/22(semi)
Have never had one jam in the thousands from a rem 1100(aka: basically 3" version of 1100)
Anyhow keep up with all your tests as this is doing us a favor!
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

For calibers 270 and up, nothing beats the Nosler Partition on big non-dangerous game animals. Like the 30/06 Govt., the Nosler Partition is the bench mark. If you were stuck with only a ordinary 30/06 loaded with 180 Nosler Partitions, you'd be equipted for all big game hunting most people would ever hunt.

Nothing high tech or tricky can overcome tiny bullets void of weight when it comes to big game hunting. These little light bullets work sometimes, but no all the time and not under all conditions. When going light, on big game, get close and place the bullet with precision - or better still, get a 30/06, load it with Partitiions, hit it right, and kill the animal.

I read John Nosler never thought a Partition bullet was ever needed for the 30-30, but the marketing department wanted them because hunters were demanding them, so they made and supplied them. Simple cup and core bullets is all that is needed for the 30-30, or any cartridge that doesn't exceed a 2,600 fps muzzle velocity.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Joe's mention of the Rhino bullets sent me on a search. I'd never heard of them. It appears they have one importer in the US over in Oregon.

They appear to be like the NorthForks but without the relief grooves and with a moly coating. They also appear to be skived to produce four equal peels during the expansion of the copper jacket. Obviously, the expansion stops when it reaches the full copper shank section ... like a Partition when it reaches the part above the rear core.

I use the Swift A-frame only because they have more selection and an appropriate profile in .458 as compared to Nosler. Plus, Gander Mountain near me wants $95 for a box of 300 grain Partitions in .458 ... which is ridiculous.

My understanding is that the A-frames have a bit more taper in the forward jacket thickness which means a bit more expansion and bit less penetration as compared to the Partitions. This is rumor and not something I've tested or seen in any kind of comparative article. I don't think they're really different enough to matter.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: I use the Swift A-frame only because they have more selection and an appropriate profile in .458 as compared to Nosler. Plus, Gander Mountain near me wants $95 for a box of 300 grain Partitions in .458 ... which is ridiculous.

My understanding is that the A-frames have a bit more taper in the forward jacket thickness which means a bit more expansion and bit less penetration as compared to the Partitions. This is rumor and not something I've tested or seen in any kind of comparative article. I don't think they're really different enough to matter.
IMHO the Swift A Frames have a much SMALLER front section, than the corresponding Nosler Partition.

So if either max speed on impact, or really big and tough critters, the Swift "should" give more penetration, with more weight retention. Also, the jacket material on the front part seems to be thicker, in cutaways.

Down side, and this is I think the reason the NP is THE universal bullet, is, that the NP will work well on SOFTER game at farther distances better that the Swift AFrame.

On DG I would still like the Swift AFrame. But even then, on Leopard, and perhaps even Lion, the NP might be better.

Hermann
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

BigSky56 wrote:Nosler's arent needed for 30-30, not going fast enough to destruct even if you hit pin bone, cup & core or cast work just fine.
FMJ are my choice for fur hunting in 22 mag 40 gr and 22 CF 55 gr. little holes.
Just a side note Don at one time I did a test with 223 55gr. FMJ at 3200 splattered when I hit 1/2" plate steel slowed it down to 2400 drilled a hole thru it. explains why bullets fail. danny

Dont know about the destruction at 30-30 speeds but will say a 385gr .50cal Nosler going only 1900fps will expand greatly.
Most deer I have shot with them have had an exit hole about the sizes ranging from a quarter to that being of a golf ball.
The bear a shot with one did tremendous damage.
Absolutely would use them on a 30-30

Also the tests I have done with 1/2" plate on bullet velocities have shown at least with the 30-06 and .300 Win the opposite what danny had.
30-06(180gr Sierra gameking )@ 2700fps made a good dimple while the .300 Win Mag(180gr Sierra Gameking @3100) made a clean hole at 150 yards.
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Thanks for the update on that Hermann. I apparently have it backward. And in .458, the Nosler does have a much larger and more blunt tip than the Swift for sure. I'll take your word for it on the jacket thickness. As far as I can tell, there's only one Partition in .458 and it's 300 grains. The Swift offerings in 350, 400, 450, and 500 grains are a wee bit more diverse. As popular as the Partitions are, I can't understand the limited offering in .458.

As I was searching I also noticed that Woodleigh has come out with a line called "Hydrostatically Stabilized Solid" that appear to be like the NorthFork CPS. That's an interesting development.

Oops, looks like my information is old. Nosler has apparently dropped the 300 grain in .458 and now offers only a 500 grain Protected Point in .458 in the Partition line.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My first experience with Nosler Partitions was with a 7mm REM MAG and the 150 grainer !
First shot went thru a 3 inch sapling and layed the smack down on a 7 point buck standing maybe 5 yards behind it !
Then shot another buck maybe 30 seconds later .

A couple weeks after that I shot my one and only mulie buck at 250 yards with the same rifle shooting the 150 Partition and it did the job !

My next experience was with the 260 REM . I have the first stainless synthetic Model 7 in 260 REM to come to our local shop . The first year I used the 120 BT . Every year there after I have used the Nosler 6.5mm 125 grain Partition and have killed about 30 deer with the combination !

I used the no loner made Nosler 45 caliber 300 grain FN Partiton in the 450 Marlin the first year the 450 came out and smoked two bucks and a doe with three shots . All three of them were dead right there !

I've used it in a few other cartridges with the same results !

This season I plan to try the 22 cal 60 grain Partition in my 22-250 Ackley Improved and the 6mm 85 grain PArtition in a 6mm REM I have .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I have read articles where the Gun Cranks talk about other "Premium" bullets retaining more weight than a Partition. The reason for this is the bullet does not expand. What they do not talk about is the Partition "ALWAYS" expands, and yes loses some of the front part of the bullet. It also always makes 2 holes. I have read where a PH who shoots a .378 Weatherby to back up his clients on Lion will use Nothing but Partitions because his life depends on them, and they work EVERY time. Good enough reason for me. I do not believe they are a Deer Bullet. That being said if I were to Hunt Canada and have the chance on a Big Whitetail I would use Partitions.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

madman4570 wrote:Don,
Would be very interested what a 12 gauge would do firing their Winchester Supreme sabot Load.
This load fires with the 2.75" & 3" chambers a .50"cal 385gr Partition bullet at 1900/2000 fps respectively.?
I have a Savage 210F 12 gauge bolt action rifled slug gun with a Leupold Vari XII 3-9 on top !

The 6 point Sika Stag you see in my avitar picture was killed with that gun shooting the Winchester Partition Gold 12 gauge 2 3/4" slug load !

Shot the stag at about 50 yards coming straight at me I was up a tree about 24 feet and shot him in his right shoulder coming towards me and I found the slug rolled up just like in the Nosler magazine adds under the skin of the left hind quarter !

Slug did it's job ! However live weight of that Sika Stag was about 110 pounds . He took the whole energy of that round and it DID NOT knock him off his feet and he kept coming towards me and angled to my left , stood behind a tree where I could see most of him for maybe 20 seconds and then toppled over !

That story is nothing against the Partition Gold Slug but rather the toughness of the Sika Stag !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

BigSky56 wrote:Nosler's arent needed for 30-30, not going fast enough to destruct even if you hit pin bone, cup & core or cast work just fine.
BigSky56,

How deadly were the FMJ compared to HPs and fragile bullets on coyotes and other varmits? I'm wondering if a certain level of speed will make-up for a bullet not mushrooming--or, to a significant degree.

Don
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

you remember the stories about the 55 gr bt fmc bullets yawing and cavitating after they hit people, works on coyotes too. I havent tried HP or frag rounds on fur bearers SP make to big a exit hole, with the right rifle in 22 mag you can make head shots on yotes and cats out to 100-125 yds mine will keep 3 shots on a silver $ at 100. calling in fur bearers you can pick your range, if you are a opportunity shooter (C1 permit) it can mean some looong shots too. In the truck I carry my 22 and a 300 savage loaded with 150 gr fmc loads. danny
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

From my observation of hunting with a friend who used Partitions in his 270, I would not use them except on larger animals.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

Bigahh wrote:I have read articles where the Gun Cranks talk about other "Premium" bullets retaining more weight than a Partition. The reason for this is the bullet does not expand. What they do not talk about is the Partition "ALWAYS" expands, and yes loses some of the front part of the bullet. It also always makes 2 holes. I have read where a PH who shoots a .378 Weatherby to back up his clients on Lion will use Nothing but Partitions because his life depends on them, and they work EVERY time. Good enough reason for me. I do not believe they are a Deer Bullet. That being said if I were to Hunt Canada and have the chance on a Big Whitetail I would use Partitions.
That´s exactly what I meant.

OK, there is no such thing as a free lunch ... if the Game and the bullet weight are FAR away, even a Partition might give trouble...

But the difference must be very great!

I´ve had a 286 grs 9,3 Partition open up fine on a Badger at over 200 yds, and I doubt you can blow apart a .22 60 grs Partition, regardless of speed and distance, as long as you shoot on GAME, and not on Wood, Concrete, ...

But if I intend to shoot a Cape Buffalo, for the first shot I´ll probably take the Swift A Frame ... with shoulder stabilized Solids in the second barrel or in the magazine ...

Hermann
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I had some experience with Partitions years ago, 243, 7MM Mag and 375 H&H. I found the forward section was designed for rapid expansion. They always seemed to swell up real well. The big mushroom does shed some weight but who cares.

It was mentioned that they may be too stout for deer. In my experience they work fine on deer. Contrary to some reports we got some small deer up here too! In reality 30-30 up are great deer rounds. I saw a deer killed with a 257 Weatherby last year. I personally would have considered the front half as mink feed not supper.

I am very interested in the Swift A frames for my 444. In a stoked 444 a 300 gr. bullet really doesn't need to expand but the design is a HP pistol bullet. Up close they would hit like a train and still penetrate stem to stern on anything with horns or claws I will ever bump into.