eye doc says i'm getting old

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

eye doc says i'm getting old

Post by pokey »

can you believe the impertinent pup?

this is on topic because now i need to make choices as far as my
leverguns go. my favorite rifle by far is a winchester 94, but the sights
are getting harder to see. barrel sights actually work better, now, than
peeps do, do to focal length. i can see the target OR the front sight OR
the rear sight. :x

i won't scope a win. 94, but i have a sav. 99e in 308 that is scoped and may
become my go to rifle. i hate to leave the rest in the safe, but note book paper
size groups make me frustrated. :roll:

so now the decisions come, what to do, what to do.

i now see why some old muzzle loader barrels have several rear sight
dovetails. those guys got old and moved the rear sight to a clearer spot. :D
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: eye doc says i'm getting old

Post by pwl44m »

Look around, if U can see at all. -Standing Room Only- I've almost given up on trying to shoot. Just collect for the sake of having them.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

YOU SHOULD HAVE SMACKED THE MOUTHY SO'N'SO UPSIDE THE HEAD AND REMINDED HIM WHO WAS PAYING THE BILL !!! IF HE HAD THE BRAINS OF A KUMQUAT HE'D HAVE SEEN THE GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE SOME MORE MONEY AS HE CAN CORRECT ALL THAT "OLD AGE" stuff WITH THE CORRECT CORRECTIVE LENSES. MY EYE DR. DID IT AND I HAVE 20/400 VISION. I CAN SEE THE SIGHTS ON A PISTOL CLEARLY WITH EITHER EYE SHOOTING WITH EITHER HAND. IT IS EVEN EASIER WITH A RIFLE OR CARBINE WITH OPEN SIGHTS [ IF THEY'RE SQUARE ] OR WITH RECEIVER APERTURE SIGHTS.
YOU SHOULD GO ASK THAT MOUTHBOX " HOW OLD WOULD YOU BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW HOW OLD YOU WERE ? "
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

What TERRY and Colorado Steve said +1
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Don't need to see the back peep....just look thru it, and because the light is strongest in the exact middle of it, your eye will go there. Pretend it's not there and just look thru it and put your front sight on target.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Terry Murbach wrote:YOU SHOULD HAVE SMACKED THE MOUTHY SO'N'SO UPSIDE THE HEAD AND REMINDED HIM WHO WAS PAYING THE BILL !!! IF HE HAD THE BRAINS OF A KUMQUAT HE'D HAVE SEEN THE GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE SOME MORE MONEY AS HE CAN CORRECT ALL THAT "OLD AGE" stuff WITH THE CORRECT CORRECTIVE LENSES. MY EYE DR. DID IT AND I HAVE 20/400 VISION. I CAN SEE THE SIGHTS ON A PISTOL CLEARLY WITH EITHER EYE SHOOTING WITH EITHER HAND. IT IS EVEN EASIER WITH A RIFLE OR CARBINE WITH OPEN SIGHTS [ IF THEY'RE SQUARE ] OR WITH RECEIVER APERTURE SIGHTS.
YOU SHOULD GO ASK THAT MOUTHBOX " HOW OLD WOULD YOU BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW HOW OLD YOU WERE ? "
:lol: Give'em heck, Terry :D Once I learned, sort of, to look at the front sight things got a bunch easier for me...leaf and peeps both.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Terry Murbach wrote:YOU SHOULD HAVE SMACKED THE MOUTHY SO'N'SO UPSIDE THE HEAD AND REMINDED HIM WHO WAS PAYING THE BILL !!! IF HE HAD THE BRAINS OF A KUMQUAT HE'D HAVE SEEN THE GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE SOME MORE MONEY AS HE CAN CORRECT ALL THAT "OLD AGE" stuff WITH THE CORRECT CORRECTIVE LENSES. MY EYE DR. DID IT AND I HAVE 20/400 VISION. I CAN SEE THE SIGHTS ON A PISTOL CLEARLY WITH EITHER EYE SHOOTING WITH EITHER HAND. IT IS EVEN EASIER WITH A RIFLE OR CARBINE WITH OPEN SIGHTS [ IF THEY'RE SQUARE ] OR WITH RECEIVER APERTURE SIGHTS.

:lol: :D :mrgreen:

Terry is right!
get another Doctor(when you get fixed go back and demand money back or you will tell everybody he's a quack/quack :shock:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Got the welcome to middle age speech some years back. Ghost ring rear sights help alot. But, I'm now slowing moving to holo/red dot/scopes on everything. The good thing is that we have the aids, ao we can keep shooting.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Terry Murbach wrote:REMINDED HIM WHO WAS PAYING THE BILL !!!
that's part of the problem, insurance is paying the bill.
had an eye doc once, reminded me of you, he would tell me fishing stories,
then tell me what glasses i wanted. wish he had not retired. :|

i would like to borrow the time machine from whoever has it, please. :lol:
BlaineG wrote:Don't need to see the back peep....just look thru it,

don't have a tanger, just receiver peeps, they are blurry enough, there is no center.
that's another part of the problem, i see ok at arms length so pistols are ok,
closer is not better.
COSteve wrote:If you don't want to got with a tang sight, a simple piece of black electrical tape 1/4" round blank, punched out with a hole punch, then a tiny hole punched in the middle makes a great stick on aperture for your shooting glasses. Best of all, its free.

this actually works somewhat, and is probably what i will use for a while.
maybe invest in one of these.

http://www.eabco.com/store/products/Mer ... 414-0.html

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Don't rule out the model 94 in 7-30 Waters with a 24" Barrel for a scoped rifle. I picked one up on GB 6 years ago and it doesn't balance bad at all. I got used to its handling and looks, so I've kept the scope on it.
Good luck,

Dave B
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

COSteve wrote:Image
I love the diopter system since the first time I tried it. It works so well that a muzzle loader club I know of won't let them be used during a competition. Funny to me is it's still up to the shooter to do the work.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

that's what drove me to peep/tang sights and I don't mind, they have many advantages.

I do remember that first morning, sitting on the edge of the river at first light and not being able to thread the tippet through my fly.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

don't have a tanger, just receiver peeps, they are blurry enough, there is no center.
that's another part of the problem,
Honest...you don't have to see or focus on the back peep...yer eye will find the exact center without you trying.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

BlaineG wrote:
Honest...you don't have to see or focus on the back peep...yer eye will find the exact center without you trying.
+1 Aiming with a peep sight is not intuitive at all but once you relax and let your eye do it's thing, you'll be amazed at how well you can shoot with one.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

COSteve wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
+1 Aiming with a peep sight is not intuitive at all but once you relax and let your eye do it's thing, you'll be amazed at how well you can shoot with one.
relaxing? maybe so.
i don't know how to explain what i see in a peep these days, double image,
spider web, when i look closer [squint] the picture clears some but the sight
picture changes.
maybe i'm just trying too hard. didn't used to be this way. :roll:

if i remove the aperture i can use it like a ghostring some. just not as
accurate as i might like.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

“i don't know how to explain what i see in a peep these days, double image,
spider web, when i look closer [squint] the picture clears some but the sight
picture changes.”
-- Pokey

Been down that road too. My vision is not the best and has not improved. Seems it took a big dump when I turned fifty and that was 15 years ago. I always said that you can’t hit what you can’t see and I thought that my shooting days were quickly “going south”.

With my normal glasses, I saw double front and/or rear pistol sights and a very blurry target. For rifle shooting, acquiring the target in the sights was a chore, then I labored to see the sights clearly. Even though my Rx changed yearly, nothing seemed to help.

Then I discovered Decot shooting glasses:

http://www.sportglasses.com/Default.asp

Now after my yearly eye examination, I mail the Rx to Decot with the old lenses and frame and in about two weeks, they are returned with new Rx cut in new lenses.

I have them cut a bifocal in the upper left corner of the right lens so I can see the pistol sights clearly. This year, new lenses were approximately $125.00. I wear the same frames that I first purchased about 15 years ago. recently, I purchased clear lenses and tinted clip-on sun glasses from Buffalo Arms:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3788

Was not exactly a cheap initial cash outlay, but I can see again….
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I know you said you won't scope- but I would suggest a scout scope or a red dot sight.

I have one on my Winchester 94.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TERRY and COSteve are both right; maybe you need to find an optometrist (or 'ologist') who is himself or herself a shooter - they seem to understand the situation alot better.
pokey wrote:
COSteve wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
If i remove the aperture i can use it like a ghostring some. just not as accurate as i might like.
You might actually need a larger aperture, so it is like a 'ghost ring, BUT need more than the thin band of material left when you remove the aperture. If you can get hold of, or make, a very large-holed aperture, so you have more black around it and a big center, you'll probably see that 'lighter center' people talk about.

You also might have to shut your non-aiming eye, if you're not already...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

pokey wrote:can you believe the impertinent pup?
:D
Actually I can. Went thru it myself... need a new prescription myself...

Anyway, always remember, the only revenge we can exact on youth's impertinence is knowing that they'll have to suffer just as we are... only we may not be around to see it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

Terry Murbach wrote:.....IF HE HAD THE BRAINS OF A KUMQUAT HE'D HAVE SEEN THE GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY..........AS HE CAN CORRECT ALL THAT "OLD AGE" stuff WITH THE CORRECT CORRECTIVE LENSES.........
I have to second that one.
My eye Doc is a sensible lady who is full of ideas regarding how to use what is available to make things work for you. She has never been pushy and always hears me out, but best of all, she always has an idea right off the top of her head that works and I don't end up paying for extra stuff that doesn't work.

She did delicately remind me once, "well, you are getting older, so you have to make some adjustments if you want to keep doing that stuff....."

The upside to that is that she had a solution to fix that particular problem.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

You might actually need a larger aperture, so it is like a 'ghost ring, BUT need more than the thin band of material left when you remove the aperture. If you can get hold of, or make, a very large-holed aperture, so you have more black around it and a big center, you'll probably see that 'lighter center' people talk about.

You also might have to shut your non-aiming eye, if you're not already...?
The doctor has it pegged - my nearly 85 year old eyes ( in two weeks) do well with the Williams FP aperture sights - with the aperture removed to make them ghost ring sights -

Even on rimfires, there is the FPGR that attaches to the scope grooves -

And, for the M1A, XS makes a ghost ring set - rear aperture being twice the diameter of the stock one-

Terry Murbach wrote:
.....IF HE HAD THE BRAINS OF A KUMQUAT HE'D HAVE SEEN THE GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY..........AS HE CAN CORRECT ALL THAT "OLD AGE" stuff WITH THE CORRECT CORRECTIVE LENSES.........
While that is mostly true, I'm sorry to spoil your illusions there - true for the "far-sightedness" problems but, cataracts must be removed surgically to correct problems they cause.

Sadly, then there is "ARMD" - (age related macular degeneration) degeneration around the macula - where central vision is. The "wet" kind can be treated with injections of Avastin (yep-same breast cancer medication) but the much more common dry kind has no known effective treatment - some parts of aging we just have to accept.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER