Earthquake in VA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Earthquake in VA

Post by Tycer »

Well Hobie, what did it feel like?

I felt it here in Asheville. Side to side motion, no perceived rise and fall.

Pretty rare here to feel one.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Earthquake in VA

Post by Martini450 »

Definitely felt it up here in Fairfax. I was just putting one of my two and a half year old boys to bed for a nap when it hit; side to side and a bit of up and down. Awesome and majestic display of power.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

About 30 seconds worth of lateral shaking here in Lanexa. Never experienced anything like it. No damage here, thank God,
but there are reports of phone lines down and some damage in Richmond. USGS reports a 5.9 magnitude quake with epicenter between Louisa and Mineral...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Felt it here in Portland Maine

Mainehunter :wink:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

And you all give us Ca guys stuff about earthquakes. I think its funny that a 5.9 is getting this much attention.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Felt it all the way up here in Boston. Building shook for 30 seconds. My monitor was shaking on its arm mount! My first "felt" earthquake..........

So, Yesterday Colorado had the biggest EQ in its history and three or four days ago South Dakota had its biggest EQ.....And now the eastcoast has the biggest EQ in 100 years.

Could be the Mighty Yellowstone is getting ready to play?
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Epicenter was "supposedly" in Mineral VA which is about 20 miles from us !

I was walking out the door at the shop when it started and I thought the air compressor was about to blow up at first !!!!!!!

I went home to check my father and our dog . And my dad wasn't home as he was out and about !

However it knocked deer heads off the wall , cracked the glass in a couple cabinet doors , knocked all the framed pictures on the wall around and knocked several pieces of crystal from the shelves and unto the floor where they shjattered of course !

Dog seemed a little shook up but other then that we weren't to bad off !

Did have a couple tremors in the 20 minutes following !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

JReed wrote:And you all give us Ca guys stuff about earthquakes. I think its funny that a 5.9 is getting this much attention.
I've felt two here since 1995. I felt one in California once as a kid that was much stronger, but since they're so rare, they garner a bit of attention. You gotta admit, whenever the earth shakes you take notice, big or small.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You guys better head west before you fall into the ocean.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JReed wrote:And you all give us Ca guys stuff about earthquakes. I think its funny that a 5.9 is getting this much attention.

Yeah thats it California IS THE CAUSE of this :wink:
We need to crack them OFF North America and all this SHITE would stop :lol:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Old Savage wrote:You guys better head west before you fall into the ocean.
The sad news is east and west are going to move inward. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I "was" gonna start DCP hunting for deer on my next door neighbors vineyard today . But I think I'll just sit back and drink some iced tea !
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Tycer wrote:
I've felt two here since 1995. I felt one in California once as a kid that was much stronger, but since they're so rare, they garner a bit of attention. You gotta admit, whenever the earth shakes you take notice, big or small.
I hear you. You all don't deal with them much. Growing up as a kid if it wasn't stronger then a 6 school wasn't even interrupted. I cant tell ya how many 5 something quakes I have slept thru and didn't know we had one until the morning news.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Felt here in york. Knocked cell phone service out. my folks lost a piece of ceramic that fell off shelf. Nothing much more. Shook a good bit, was side to side, no up and down. largest I have felt since leaving california. looks like New york had a small earthquake too.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I was at work on the computer, doing the final paperwork for a truck driver when the wheels on my chair were rocking back and forth. I thought it was another truck driver from Texas (Griff?) backing into the loading dock real hard. :D

It was just terrible, I came home a half hour later and look at the mess I found in the gunroom.---Sixgun

NOW, you boys just know I had to take this opportunity to have some fun. :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I was on the range at that time. Just now got home. I never felt it. And apparently nobody else around me did either because nothing was said.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to Shakeytown East. ;) :roll:

I thought it was just ANOTHER passing car, with a bass turned all the way up. :mrgreen:

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Sixgun wrote:Image
You know that's staged on a count of the Lightning should be under the Winchesters because it simply must have been hung far lower on the wall of glory on a count of it's a Colt rifle. :wink: Silly Pennsylvanians.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:You guys better head west before you fall into the ocean.
We should be so lucky! :twisted: At least as far as the nation's money pit is concerned! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I was on the lawnmower 64 miles away and didn't feel anything at all. No damage here. They just started warming up for the bluegrass show tonight and I've got a pizza in the oven.

I'd like to thank Griff for calling to check on me!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Pitchy wrote:The sad news is east and west are going to move inward. :lol:
No. The news is ever worse ....... the entire country is moving left. :D
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

No worries gentlemen. It's just the beginning of TEOTWAWKI.

Lock and Load!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

KirkD wrote:
Pitchy wrote:The sad news is east and west are going to move inward. :lol:
No. The news is ever worse ....... the entire country is moving left. :D
I ain't too worried, we probably ain't gonna pass Canada on the way!
But it was FUNNY! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

The crack in my concrete patio didn't get any bigger. We had it easy here in Richmond. Honest to gosh, it went on for 30 seconds and I wasn't sure what was happening. Felt like an 18 wheeler was backing down the driveway. The setter really sounded off. She caught on faster than yours truly. Just a long wobble, but we definitely felt it around here.
T.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chas. wrote:I was on the range at that time.
That gives you the ULTIMATE excuse for any missed shots...! 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Pitchy wrote: The sad news is east and west are going to move inward. :lol:
Thats OK. The "parasites" will stay on the coasts----get swamped.......and things will go back to normal. I just gotta figure out how to add Detroit & St. Louis to the coastal areas. :D ------------Sixgun

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The earthquake might have killed the house phone, I don't have service. Since I only use it for others and local service out I didn't notice that I wasn't getting solicitor calls. :wink: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

To all you Easterners, calm down. Those of us who've lived in California know that a 5.9 is actually just a 'baby quake' and nothing to get excited about. I lived in the SF bay area from 1956 to 1980 and 1983 to 1996 and we had hundreds of quakes that size. In addition, here in Colorado, we had the same size quake on the same day as the VA quake and it got a passing remark on the nightly news.

The politicians and news folks are so full of themselves that they think that anything that happens in the east is big for everyone; that they are at the center of the universe. They couldn't be more wrong. So you easterners need to hitch up your panties and relax. The rest of the country is laughing at all the hubbub you're making of it.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Scientists have determined the earthquake affecting Washington, D.C. today was caused by the Founding Fathers simultaneously rolling over in their graves...
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

:o :roll: :D :lol:
Steve
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

COSteve wrote:To all you Easterners, calm down. Those of us who've lived in California know that a 5.9 is actually just a 'baby quake' and nothing to get excited about. I lived in the SF bay area from 1956 to 1980 and 1983 to 1996 and we had hundreds of quakes that size. In addition, here in Colorado, we had the same size quake on the same day as the VA quake and it got a passing remark on the nightly news.

The politicians and news folks are so full of themselves that they think that anything that happens in the east is big for everyone; that they are at the center of the universe. They couldn't be more wrong. So you easterners need to hitch up your panties and relax. The rest of the country is laughing at all the hubbub you're making of it.

Steve,
You could not be more right. I was flabbergasted at all of the continuing new coverage. Those media thing will do anything to get the easterners minds off the real issues.

BTW, I have not talked to my son in a couple of days. Did you boys feel the quake there in Denver?-------Sixgun

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Only reason it was news here in the east is because we don't get them. We are on a solid piece of rock out here, and the mountains we have are as old as dirt and pretty settled. The earthquake was tied for 2nd largest EVER (or atleast in recorded history) for the East Coast. It was an insignificant event geologically, but very significant for the right coast as an event. Now we are bracing for the first hurricane in two years to hit the US. You guys out west don't see too many of those. :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Jesus said to them: “Watch out that no one deceives you. Many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am he,’ and will deceive many. When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places, and famines. These are the beginning of birth pains. Mark 13: 5-8
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Can't wait Casastable :?: Join the folks in the mideast who are trying to force the end of the world trying to match what their good book says :shock:
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Sixgun wrote:
COSteve wrote:To all you Easterners, calm down. Those of us who've lived in California know that a 5.9 is actually just a 'baby quake' and nothing to get excited about. I lived in the SF bay area from 1956 to 1980 and 1983 to 1996 and we had hundreds of quakes that size. In addition, here in Colorado, we had the same size quake on the same day as the VA quake and it got a passing remark on the nightly news.

Steve,
You could not be more right. I was flabbergasted at all of the continuing new coverage. Those media thing will do anything to get the easterners minds off the real issues.

BTW, I have not talked to my son in a couple of days. Did you boys feel the quake there in Denver?-------Sixgun
Nope, and we also didn't feel the 5.3 magnitude one is southern Colorado the same day (which got no coverage at all by the hysterical crybabies in the east).
rjohns94 wrote:Only reason it was news here in the east is because we don't get them. We are on a solid piece of rock out here, and the mountains we have are as old as dirt and pretty settled. The earthquake was tied for 2nd largest EVER (or atleast in recorded history) for the East Coast. It was an insignificant event geologically, but very significant for the right coast as an event.
The fact is that the event was small as quakes go and doesn't warrant the coverage it got. The eastern media went nuts because they are egocentric snobs who think that anything that happens on the east coast is important to everyone in the US. They are still referring to Chicago as the 'mid west' when its in the eastern 1/3 of the US for criminy sakes! The idea that 'westerners' don't much care about what goes on in the east is totally foreign and unbelievable to those in national media and federal politics. But the truth is, we don't. We don't care about eastern sports teams, we don't care about eastern events, we don't care about eastern weather either but because the national media is headquartered in the east, that's the stuff of the news.
Steve
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Nice Steve. sleep well. Geez. lighten up. talk about panites in a bunch :wink:
Mike Johnson,

jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

From the looks of the news coverage that I've seen, the quake took a terrible toll on lawn furniture..... :lol:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

foxtrapper wrote:Can't wait Casastable :?: Join the folks in the mideast who are trying to force the end of the world trying to match what their good book says :shock:
No thanks, “Casastable” has absolutely no desire to “join the folks in the mideast who are
trying to force the end of the world trying to match what their good book says.” :roll:

Now who I would join in a heartbeat if I could is my military brothers & sisters that are over there. :wink:

WOW Steve tell us how yeah really feel about us “easterners” :o

This easterner is outa here for a while; a couple of you need to hit the range or something. :)

Next Thursday can’t come soon enough for me, Dove season starts. 8) :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ok, now for a REALLY important question. And is there a levergun in here someplace, besides Jack's staged photo-op! :shock:

Just what does one do when the dove has been hunted, found and bagged? I have yet to find a recipe that is edible. :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Was down in Ocean City, MD. when it hit. Got evacuated yesterday for the Hurricane. :cry:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

COSteve wrote: The idea that 'westerners' don't much care about what goes on in the east is totally foreign and unbelievable to those in national media and federal politics. But the truth is, we don't. We don't care about eastern sports teams, we don't care about eastern events, we don't care about eastern weather either but because the national media is headquartered in the east, that's the stuff of the news.
My only contact with "westerners" in their "normal" habitat has been in Montana and the Denver airport !
And of those I met in both places they all seemed friendly and decent people , I'm certainly glad none of them came off as you do !