Rule of thumb for refnishing values?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Rule of thumb for refnishing values?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

awp101's post (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36911) got me thinking about a gun I just saw on Monday. A friend of mine, and father of one of the boy scouts in Y2K's troop, is selling a pair of .32 S&W revolvers - actual S&W's too. One is a "lemon-squeezer"; the other appears to be a "hand-ejector" from the '30's. The latter is in original condition, and in fairly reasonable condition. The former has been reblued. It was done well and looks beautiful.

So, my question. Is there a rule of thumb on the decrease in value if one refinishes a firearm? Any way to figure out a formula to apply, or is it just a matter of looking it up. Sources like the "Blue Book of Gun Values" list values based on original condition. I don't recall seeing anything about refinishing or restoring.

I am not talking about sporterizing or altering the gun, but just attempts to bring it back to looking like it did when it left the factory.

Thanks!
JBledsoe
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Rule of thumb for refnishing values?

Post by JBledsoe »

Most collectors will not even look at a reblue or refinished gun. Such alterations can take a highly collectable firearm and make it just a shooter. A reblue will cut the value in half and usually reduces the value even more than that. An acquaintance refinished a rare Springfield valued at about $3000. It is much better looking but, unfortunately, worth only $300 to $400 now. It is just a pretty shooter with no collector value. I hope that helps, there is no formula.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I no of no rule of thumb on this. There is such a wide variation in the base value of the guns due to desirability or rarity that one has to value each gun separately. Collectors want original and the condition is everything. Re-blue is ZERO finish to them. So, now we get into the restoration question.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I go with Hobie's rule (if it wasn't named after him before, it is now... :mrgreen: ): reblued is 0% finish and I decide from there how bad I want it.

If it means being able to obtain something I normally couldn't afford, I'll haggle to low shooter grade pricing or walk depending on the sellers willingness to deal.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Put me with the others - A refinish puts it into the shooter class, meaning it's only worth what someone will pay for it to shoot/hunt with.

Myself, I tend to like a restored/refinished antique - IF it's done correctly, AND to a beater.

It's an inexpensive way to own/use a new-looking ant-i-q, that one normally couldn't afford, or not want to use.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

If its an old or rare or elite gun that is in high demand /high price(Its a big deal,much effect)
If its a common inexpensive hunting gun and the blue job is done well,not much difference)

Think of it if someone re varnished a 1955 Fender Strat guitar compared to a 2010 Fender sold at Sam's Club.
Bought a 1976 Guild D35 that was professionally refinished and paid $100 more for it than two others that were stock.
All three played/sounded about the same but the redone one was a sight to behold.
so,sometimes with items neither old/collector or high end new/perfect there is a place for redoing something?
another example a Mossberg 500 that someone parkerized.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Right along with the others. A reblue/ refinish is way diffewrent than an "Arsenal Re-work"

A commercial refinish or "Restoration" that some guys like to call it these days, is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it
but no longer has any originality to it. Don't care how much someone paid for it.

The only re-worked firearm I have is an Old Model Super Blackhawk that
had no finish and had been well used. I spent a good buck having it redone
the way I wanted it but if I wanted to sell it I'd probably only get
half of what I spent on it.

I generally pass by anything reblued/ refinished.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"