Barrel liners

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Barrel liners

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Another "on-topic" post. Will wonders ever cease? :wink:

All the posts on refinishing/restoration has me thinking about my Winchester Model 1892 again. Though shootable, it needs some minor repair including a new pipe, as the barrel is badly pitted. I'd like to keep the barrel though, and keep it as a .25-20 WCF. Who would you recommend for a barrel liner? For some minor parts and restoration, who would you recommend (from personal experience)?
JBledsoe
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Barrel liners

Post by JBledsoe »

If you want the best try;

Taylor Machine
14119 Military Rd. E
Puyallup, WA 98374

(253) 445-4073

John Taylor is a master at his trade.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

+1 on that.

I haven't used his services, but his name was recommended to me several times recently when I was asking about an old Martini (the one I had posted some ugly Bore Scope pictures about).

Good luck Jay.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Jay,
I have a 92 that I had a Redman's liner installed in by a sorta local smith. It's a 32 WCF and came out real nice except did not feed well so I sent it to NKJ and it's real slick now.
What I like best about liners is that you save the original markings while getting a new bore.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Ysabel Kid,
I had a '92 relined back to 25-20 a year or so ago that was rebored / rechambered to .357 sometime in its life. The fellow was from MO and was highly recommended by a distant friend of mine. I'll have to look up his name. As I recall, the cost was around $230 + shipping both ways.

Have you tried any gas checked bullets in your rifle or loads using PSB (Poly Shot Buffer)? That stuff works wonders in getting rifles with not so good bores shooting well. :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

John uses TJ's match grade liners. His work is just about invisible.
http://www.johntaylormachine.com

38-55 and 22cal liners. Real professional job. :wink:

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

TJ''s liners are probably the best, the trick comes when it comes time to find a gunsmith, rather than a gunparts changer to do the instalation work.