Boy's/Camp Axe

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Boy's/Camp Axe

Post by Swampman »

I've had this head for several years. I believe I paid $2.00 for it. I found a hickory handle, flame tempered it, and soaked it in BLO. The final finish is Min-Wax Satin Tung Oil Finish. Wood and metal wedges were soaked with Super Glue after installation and then covered with clear epoxy.

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Boy's/Camp Axe

Post by gamekeeper »

That looks like a really useful bit of kit. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I have always liked using that size axe. Small enough to carry, big enough to get some work done.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Agreed.

An all-steel Estwing travels in my car. Had a friend question that once.

I asked him if he's ever had to bust out a car window during a wreck. He said no. I said "I have".

And police batons don't always do the job either.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

MrMurphy wrote:Agreed.

An all-steel Estwing travels in my car. Had a friend question that once.

I asked him if he's ever had to bust out a car window during a wreck. He said no. I said "I have".

And police batons don't always do the job either.
I carry a small Gerber belt hatchet in my BOB in the trunk or whatever rig I'm traveling in. As MrMurphy said even a baton doesn't always break a window. You won't believe how hard you sometimes have to hit a window to shatter it. I even used to carry a window punch in my cruiser when I was on patrol.
Old Law Dawg
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

Swampman, that looks exactly like a boy's axe I had in my hands yesterday, comtemplating if I should rehandle it.

I went through the axes and splitting tools yesterday and oiled the handles and touched up a couple edges and that cute little bugger was in need of a bit more attention than the others.

Since I don't use it for "work," I set it aside, but seeing yours, I may go ahead and do it up.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

This one will actually shave the hair on my leg.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Now that is just too much information right there!-This one will actually shave the hair on my leg.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Perfect size for the trapline! Nice work Swampman :D
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

model55 wrote:Now that is just too much information right there!-This one will actually shave the hair on my leg.
Doesn't everyone check sharpness that way :lol:

66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Swampman wrote:
model55 wrote:Now that is just too much information right there!-This one will actually shave the hair on my leg.
Doesn't everyone check sharpness that way :lol:
That's the test I use for my pocket knives, except at my age I don't have enough hair on my legs anymore :o . I have several bald spots on my left forearm most of the time from testing the sharpness of my knives. Never got an axe sharp enough to try it.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cool!
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

kidding aside you did good work on that and the marlin you posted earlier.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

That's a fine looking peice of work. I'm not Paul Bunyon so I have always prefered a smaller axe too.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Perfect size for canoe or any other type of camping.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15