OT - General Motors

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

OT - General Motors

Post by 6pt-sika »

Someone told me earlier today that General Motors announced they would have NO Chevy or GMC pickup production in the entire year of 2012 . Now I realize they ceased production after the earthquake in Tokyo . But the person that told me this claimed they announced yesterday 9-10-11 that this would be for the entire production year of 2012 !

I've been looking thru the net for about 15 minutes and have not been able to find anything to validate this !

Anyone else heard anything to substantiate this ?
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT - General Motors

Post by Blaine »

I scan the news pretty good everyday..didn't see or hear anything..that would have been very front burner stuff... (but, I'm usually wrong at least once a day, and this could be it :? )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

This all I could find that is recent.

By DEE-ANN DURBIN

updated 8/25/2011 6:45:05 PM ET

DETROIT — General Motors Co. is cutting its production of pickup trucks next month, a sign that truck sales aren't as robust as the company had hoped.

Spokesman Tom Wickham said Thursday that GM cancelled five scheduled overtime shifts on Saturdays in September and October. Wickham didn't know how many vehicles would be involved, but the Flint, Michigan, plant where the pickups are made can produce 900 trucks per day.

Full-size pickup truck sales were up 9 percent for the year through July in the U.S., compared with a year earlier, according to Autodata Corp. But that increase was smaller than the industry saw as a whole. Continuing weakness in the housing and construction sectors has dampened demand for trucks. Sales of the Chevrolet Silverado, GM's best-selling truck, were up 7 percent.

GM rehired 750 laid-off auto workers for a third shift at the Flint plant earlier this month, saying it needed the extra production to keep up with demand for heavy-duty trucks.

Auto analysts have questioned the move, pointing out that GM's truck inventory is already at higher than normal levels and truck sales have been sluggish with continuing weakness in the construction industry. At the end of July, GM had 115 days' worth of pickups to sell. An 80-day supply is more typical.

GM's Vice President of Sales Don Johnson has acknowledged the high inventory, but said the company is anticipating higher truck sales in the second half of this year. He also said GM wants a healthy supply of trucks in 2012, when it plans to shut down several truck plants to change over to new products.

Johnson said the company aims to have a 90-day supply of trucks at the end of 2011. He said GM would cut production before resorting to big discounts to sell off excess supplies.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I was a big General Motors fan and bought and used their products for 50 years.NO MORE!After they caved in to Obama and took stimulus money and gave part of the company to the unions I have switched to Fords.Last year when we needed to buy a new auto I purchased a Ford product and am very happy with it.General Motors can please notice the mistletoe attached to my coat tail.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I would not doubt they are cutting production...cutting it off completely..not likely

People are hanging on to their trucks longer...mine are 97 and 03
its cheaper to fix them instead of having a huge monthly payment....
especially now in the obama depression...
and at 3.80 a gallon for diesel....why would you buy a gas guzzler now...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

That's what happens when you gut an economy and send
all of the good-paying manufacturing jobs overseas. No one
can afford to buy a new one anymore. And especially at the
prices they want!! Unfortunately, the economy ain't improving.

At the Skowhegan fair I saw a GMC 1-ton dually diesel @ $60K!!!
Just this week I looked at a Ford 1/2-ton 4WD standard cab V6- $28K!!!
Those 2 vehicles together total just about what I paid for my
brandy-new 3-bedroom house in 1994.

I'll hang onto my 2004 GMC 3/4 ton until it dies. Yep, it only gets
14 or 15 mpg, but it's paid for. It would take A LOT of diesel to make
up for a truck payment.......My wife and I have good jobs by any
reasonable standard, but I dunno how I'm going to afford a new truck.

-Stretch
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Ugggggghhhh --- i just priced a new DuraMax 4wd crewcab pickup truck to replace my "aging" 2008 model truck (i'm a pretty high mileage driver) -- prices in the 60's.

I told the salesman that i do not want or need all the trappings that are put on these trucks now --- i am too spoiled to go back to roll up windows, but i dont need navigation, leather seats, moon roofs, imitation woodgrain -- etc. etc.

the Ford dealers OTOH, had no trouble sourcing several trucks from me from competing dealers in the low 40's (PStroke diesels, 4wd crewcab, just enough power features to keep me happy, but very little i don't need)

I am still trying to put off this purchase for a while, but Ford will likely be the direction i go.

NEver thought i'd see the day light to medium duty pickup trucks would outprice Corvettes and Cadillacs
----- Doug
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

RIHMFIRE wrote:People are hanging on to their trucks longer...mine are 97 and 03
its cheaper to fix them instead of having a huge monthly payment....
Amazing, no one (out there) I know of has mentioned - but have you noticed the pandemic of vehicles--cars and trucks--with the exact same look and pattern on roofs and hoods--of shot paint, never seen before or in our lifetime. Sign of the times. Can only be related to what RIHMFIRE says, folks having to hold on longer than usual. Normally these older (actually many mid-life) cars would have been relegated to wholesale lots or junkyards before that stage. It's almost like all paint, regardless of manufacturer (at least of the lesser to mid-priced vehicles) has a certain life, then - wham! Amazing the media, seemingly reporting on everything else about the "prolonged recession," hasn't picked up on this observation. They'd look better with a $15 investment of 600 grit and Krylon, but obviously not what's on the owner's minds. Or maybe it's just me that notices this stuff!

Back OnT, politics aside, it's too bad - the Silverado/Sierra are the nicest trucks out there IMO. The extended (not crew) cab being a fave of mine--still has a useable (camp-able) bed. The big Nissan remains the fugliest IMO.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

gak wrote:Back OnT, politics aside, it's too bad - the Silverado/Sierra are the nicest trucks out there IMO. The extended (not crew) cab being a fave of mine.
I've been a General Motors person for close to 30 years now . But that may soon change based on price availability etc .

Nope I won't go Ford or Dodge , I could however be possibly talked into a Toyota .

It also makes me consider sometimes buying a decent low miles used Silverado and totally going thru it !
a357lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by a357lever »

I also worked for GM in fuel and emissions systems field service. I just noticed something very strange up till a couple of years ago federal laws made manufactures cover emissions systems and parts minimum 5 years 50,000 or there about. Most that I have researched have 7/70 like CA. But thats all changed it seems. Our federal government being so worried about the environment and consumers. I looked at the warranty on a 2011 silverado emissions warranty is 2 years or 24,000 is that not strange?. Parts like converters, canisters, sensors, electronic modules exhaust pipes, all of a sudden don't even go 3/36. I wonder how that happened? Gee and you must test these systems to get your vehicle registered hmmm. Those great chinese parts are sure to last a lifetime,. Obama Motors Inc.. sure? :twisted:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sorta on topic to the thread , i am a bit disenchanted with the price of new rigs

My 3 year old rig has 109k on it (Chevy 2500HD w/ 6.0 gas motor) --- very little towing --- i consulted a friend of mine who has a shop, he stated a engine/transmission combo from a "light rollover" wouldn't be too bad on the wallet
He said he wouldn't be worried about tricking out my truck a little bit to suit my needs --- modern vehicles , if driven properly, last a long time, but even if i strip a motor or transmission - the cost wouldn't be that prohibitive ---- i just need to keep the truck from wearing out around the drivetrain first :lol:
----- Doug
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Streetstar wrote:Sorta on topic to the thread , i am a bit disenchanted with the price of new rigs

My 3 year old rig has 109k on it (Chevy 2500HD w/ 6.0 gas motor) --- very little towing --- i consulted a friend of mine who has a shop, he stated a engine/transmission combo from a "light rollover" wouldn't be too bad on the wallet
He said he wouldn't be worried about tricking out my truck a little bit to suit my needs --- modern vehicles , if driven properly, last a long time, but even if i strip a motor or transmission - the cost wouldn't be that prohibitive ---- i just need to keep the truck from wearing out around the drivetrain first :lol:
I would like to go up to a Silverado as opposed to replacing my S-10 ZR2 2000 model with a Colorado !

But "all" I want is a fully loaded 2012 Crew Cab 4x4 1500 with a 5.3 liter . Everyone I see that I like will knock the heack out of $45 G's !
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

6pt-sika wrote:
Streetstar wrote:I would like to go up to a Silverado as opposed to replacing my S-10 ZR2 2000 model with a Colorado !

But "all" I want is a fully loaded 2012 Crew Cab 4x4 1500 with a 5.3 liter . Everyone I see that I like will knock the heack out of $45 G's !

Ouch -- Chevy is pricing themselves out of the market with that mess :shock: :shock: A 1500 with a basic engine for 45k is criminal

Chevy and GMC seem a lot more willing to move on price than Ford though -------
----- Doug
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Streetstar wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
Streetstar wrote:I would like to go up to a Silverado as opposed to replacing my S-10 ZR2 2000 model with a Colorado !

Ouch -- Chevy is pricing themselves out of the market with that mess :shock: :shock: A 1500 with a basic engine for 45k is criminal

Chevy and GMC seem a lot more willing to move on price than Ford though -------
Well now you gotta also take into consideration thats typically with every creature comfort they have .
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

There's nothing quite like popular myths spread on the internet . Oh well, the earth is flat and the sun revolves around us. :)
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

We used to have in my old unit, some "1008" trucks.

Militarized Silverados. Didn't use them for everything, but they did have some roles where they came in handy.

Ours were set up like tiny deuce and a halfs (troop seats in back with stakebed extensions from the bed, though those didn't get used much), but on the inside, they had good rubberized floor mats, a good but basic radio, heat/AC, power windows and steering, and basic, heavy hard-use fabric seats.

Flat paint job.

Nothing to seriously worry about getting a ding in, or hopping in covered in snow or wet from the rain (as happened quite a few times) yet comfortable and workable.

Lots of people drive trucks like they are cars now, and expect the same comforts.

I don't have an issue like that, but they need to bring back the basic-level truck that remembers it's a TRUCK. Something you can get dirty, etc.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

MrMurphy wrote:We used to have in my old unit, some "1008" trucks.

Militarized Silverados. Didn't use them for everything, but they did have some roles where they came in handy.

Ours were set up like tiny deuce and a halfs (troop seats in back with stakebed extensions from the bed, though those didn't get used much), but on the inside, they had good rubberized floor mats, a good but basic radio, heat/AC, power windows and steering, and basic, heavy hard-use fabric seats.

Flat paint job.

Nothing to seriously worry about getting a ding in, or hopping in covered in snow or wet from the rain (as happened quite a few times) yet comfortable and workable.

Lots of people drive trucks like they are cars now, and expect the same comforts.

I don't have an issue like that, but they need to bring back the basic-level truck that remembers it's a TRUCK. Something you can get dirty, etc.
I've got a friend thats employed at a Military Vehicle Museum in Nokesville VA and his work truck is one of the later Chevy trucks thats on loan from the DOD !
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

I don't think that's true. There is a GM truck plant in Ft. Wayne, In. if they were going to stop production for an entire year it would put a couple of thousand people out of work. The Local News people would have been all over that, and there hasn't been a peep. Presently GM is still running 3 shifts.
UNITE
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mokwaw wrote:I don't think that's true. There is a GM truck plant in Ft. Wayne, In. if they were going to stop production for an entire year it would put a couple of thousand people out of work. The Local News people would have been all over that, and there hasn't been a peep. Presently GM is still running 3 shifts.
I was hoping it wasn't true !

If I should get a windfall sometime soon I was hoping to buy a new truck :wink:
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I want a brand new 1970 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4 X 4 with a 361 FE block w/added sequential fuel injection, OBD1 ignition system, decent stainless headers, no emissions, hooked up to a modern 5sp AOD, ps, pb, a/c, w/31.0 X 10.5 X 16 wheels and tires.

Buddy built one similar, gets 18-19 mpg. Could get better but his lower speed limit is like 75mph. When he let me take it on a 400 mile trip, I got 21 mpg setting the cruise at 70 mph...made that much difference, 70 @ 1800 RPM.

Mine would be in sky blue metallic though, his is black.
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

Well i don't care if they do make trucks or not i wouldn't own a government motors vehicle, i love my made with out stimulus money 2011 for f-250 and i will continue to buy Ford besides it's a better made truck than any gm product.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

These 1008's were 2004 production year (in 2006) and later on (2007/8) we had some newer ones, though glossy blue (patrol trucks, though interior was similar) for flight commanders and a couple other patrols where Humvees didn't really work.

They still have them out there.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

MrMurphy wrote:These 1008's were 2004 production year (in 2006) and later on (2007/8) we had some newer ones, though glossy blue (patrol trucks, though interior was similar) for flight commanders and a couple other patrols where Humvees didn't really work.

They still have them out there.

The one my friend uses is diesel with a crew cab , mechanics body on the back and a winch in the front . I thought the interior was rather spartan . But the darn thing looks brand new almost !
If the mechanics body is wide enough for my Kawasaki to fit in that would be perfect .
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

I would rather lend GM the money with the chance of payback than give the money to the Wall St. crapshooters who pocketed it!
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Halting truck production for a entire year would be suicide, and also impossible, unless they wanted to halt truck production forever. A year is all it would take to put GM out of the truck business, and I doubt they want to be in that position. This rumor holds no water at all, and sounds rediculous.
On the other hand, I have been a diehard Chevy fan all my life, and I wouldn't buy a new vehicle no matter who built it. Haven't had a car/truck payment since the early 70's and at the price of new vehicles I wont be spending my savings on a $40k+ vehicle anytime soon.
My 1969 Suburban looks and works just fine, and there's nothing I can't fix on it if it breaks, so I'd rather put money into it when it needs it, than toss too much money into a new rig. Plus it's old enough to start going up in value instead of down every year. It's comfortable, and paid for. :)

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Marlinman, is your Suburban a three door? Looks as though your interior has had a few upgrades.

Nice.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

marlinman93 wrote:Halting truck production for a entire year would be suicide, and also impossible, unless they wanted to halt truck production forever. A year is all it would take to put GM out of the truck business, and I doubt they want to be in that position. This rumor holds no water at all, and sounds rediculous.
On the other hand, I have been a diehard Chevy fan all my life, and I wouldn't buy a new vehicle no matter who built it. [img]]

Your burb is pretty cool, Marlinman ---- but OTOH, you are the type of vehicle owner the manufacturer's hate (someone who recycles rather than buying new and sending his 3 year old truck down to a roofing crew or something)

If we all kissed our old vehicles goodbye every 4 years and bought new ones, there wouldnt be a prob :lol: (i say this jokingly as both the owner of an 08 2500 with high miles, along with 3 old C-10's ranging form 1969 to 1975)
----- Doug
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

damienph wrote:Marlinman, is your Suburban a three door? Looks as though your interior has had a few upgrades.

Nice.
Yes, all '67-72 Suburbans were 3 doors.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Streetstar wrote:

Your burb is pretty cool, Marlinman ---- but OTOH, you are the type of vehicle owner the manufacturer's hate (someone who recycles rather than buying new and sending his 3 year old truck down to a roofing crew or something)

If we all kissed our old vehicles goodbye every 4 years and bought new ones, there wouldnt be a prob :lol: (i say this jokingly as both the owner of an 08 2500 with high miles, along with 3 old C-10's ranging form 1969 to 1975)
Yes, the new car makers hate guys like me, and they'd love to get anything over 5 years old banned from the roads! Even when I bought newer cars I never bought brand new. Always got the ones the new guys drove 3-4 years and lost money on when they sold or traded them off. My vehicles are 1971, 1969, and 1946. All run like new, and soon the '46 will look like new too! (I hope!)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I definitely share your affection for vintage steel --- my gold '69 is an unrestored "driver" in farm fresh condition . Its a 307, 2 barrel, so is not that horrible on gas :D The '75 has a stock 454 and is a bit of a gas hog though -- so its pretty much a weekend toy of sorts.
The primered '69 with the front clip off is now undergoing a frame-off resto and just like your '46 -- i hope to have it in "like new" condition before long :) I've had it since i was 15

----- Doug