My buddy cracks me up with his gun grading

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

My buddy cracks me up with his gun grading

Post by Dave »

My buddy kills me with his gun grading. He called me the other day wanting to sell a Winchester 94 Trapper. I had not seen it but he had bragged about it. He said it was "like new". A guy at work was interested so I said I will get the gun and bring it to work. Today I picked it up. Here is the "like new" carbine. :lol:

Now don't get me wrong. The gun is mechanically solid and I like a worn gun but "like new"?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My buddy cracks me up with his gun grading

Post by FWiedner »

There's a lot of guys in this particular forum that probably agree with your buddy.

Me... I like actual blue on my guns.

:lol:
Last edited by FWiedner on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I suppose if someone were to grade most of us on appearances, we'd happily take that 'like new' designation, even though we show similar 'character' marks... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

He'd be a perfect seller for GB. :lol:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

So what the actual barrel length?
Caliber?
What type of front sight does it have on it?
When was it born?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

J Miller wrote:So what the actual barrel length?
Caliber?
What type of front sight does it have on it?
When was it born?

Joe
The barrel is 16" and it is a 30-30. It has the factory front sight which is a post. Someone replaced the rear sight with a pretty nice Marbles rear. I would say it was made around 1981 judging by the serial number which is 506xxxx. It is not a bad gun at all and has a good trigger. It just needs to be cleaned up and a peep sight put on it.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

It's the most antique looking 81 trapper I've ever seen. I like it! Love this stuff. Almost wouldn't mind trading my closer-to-new of same vintage...almost :)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

ya know women look better through the bottom of a beer bottle...
winchesters do to...apparently...

but i like it too!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Primo - looks like all the parts are there.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have one of those I bought new in 1980. I've carried it all over Arizona. Sweat on it, got it rained on, shot well over 1000 rounds through it and yet it still looks new. What in the heck happened to that poor thing I wonder?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I'll bet that someone antiqued that Winnie. I have seen several articles about makin them look old and it sure looks like it to Me.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

J Miller wrote:I have one of those I bought new in 1980. I've carried it all over Arizona. Sweat on it, got it rained on, shot well over 1000 rounds through it and yet it still looks new. What in the heck happened to that poor thing I wonder?

Joe
I don't know the story on the gun. I suspect it did some time in Mississippi. It does have that "look" even though it isn't that old.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

So what was the price and did the other Friend buy it ?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

AJMD429 wrote:I suppose if someone were to grade most of us on appearances, we'd happily take that 'like new' designation, even though we show similar 'character' marks... :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

pwl44m wrote:So what was the price and did the other Friend buy it ?

The guy at work took a pass on it. He wants a shinier one. He is wanting $350 for it. This is Marlin country though so the Winchesters don't go as good.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Dave,

Just for giggles and grins show your friend this pic and ask him how he'd grade this one:
94 TE Trapper 30-30.JPG
It's my 1980 vintage Trapper I bought new in Show Low, AZ in 1980. Been carried, sweat on, rained on, and carted around AZ in my various vehicles, has over a 1000+ rounds through it, and somehow I've managed to keep it looking nice.
That pic was taken yesterday.

Here's one taken back in 80 or 81 when all I had to use was a Polaroid:
Joe's LG's circa 81.JPG
It's the bottom one on the rack. I just noticed there is no receiver sight on it so that pic is a early one for this rifle.
Matter of fact I still have the bottom two Winchesters.

Oh and not to be a smart aleck, but I wouldn't give $350.00 for that Trapper either and I am a Winchester fan. I might go $250.00 to 275.00 max if it was in perfect mechanical condition.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

The sad thing is I have a mate living in North Queensland who works on a similar gun grading system as your buddy.

I had him look at 5 old Winchesters years ago that he graded as "fantastic" - was I disappointed when they turned up in Sydney!

Do not have any of those rifles any more, still have my Mate, but now I am very cautious about his gun grading system.

Pop.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Dave wrote:
pwl44m wrote:So what was the price and did the other Friend buy it ?

The guy at work took a pass on it. He wants a shinier one. He is wanting $350 for it. This is Marlin country though so the Winchesters don't go as good.

I like the way it looks; around here it might still bring $350. I've seen worse sell for more.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

J Miller wrote:Dave,
Oh and not to be a smart aleck, but I wouldn't give $350.00 for that Trapper either and I am a Winchester fan. I might go $250.00 to 275.00 max if it was in perfect mechanical condition.
Joe
I don't blame you. I told him if someone offered him $300 he better take it. I am sure he would take $300 for it. That gun is good mechanically and if I didn't have more guns than sense now I would get it just because of the 16" barrel. Your gun looks very nice!

Pop Watts wrote: I had him look at 5 old Winchesters years ago that he graded as "fantastic" - was I disappointed when they turned up in Sydney!
Pop.
I know what you mean. I have gone to look at guns he said were good but then wondered if we were looking at the same guns :lol: He called me from a show not long ago saying a guy had a gun I had been looking for and he would grab it if I said to. No one had a smart phone to send me a pic so I said better not. He said that gun was like new, too. Luckily I was able to end up with it on a trade from the guy who ended up buying it that day. I am carrying it right now.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

One thing to keep in mind folks is it's one of the last of the TE pre USRAC .30-30 Trappers. Even in that condition, that gets it at least another $50 in my book. Though not rare, they've become rare-ish. "Correct" front post sight and saddle ring, all it needs is a Pre War carbine butt (and fore) stock to complete the picture :) Since there were no regular production Pre 64 "trappers," these late 70s/early 80s pre AE trappers make'em the only (or at least best) trappers since the '20s and '30s. Mine too is in very good shape, having only some very minor speckling - nothing like the earlier Post 64s - and probably fixable with some oil I just haven't gotten to yet.

Gen-u-wine Pre War trapper (not mine, file photo), these are among the most "precious" of all Winchesters--still getting a very pretty penny even in this economy.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Mike D. wrote:He'd be a perfect seller for GB. :lol:

Exactly.