Win 92 1903 build question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Win 92 1903 build question.

Post by the telegraphist »

Just seen the above for sale, its in very good condition with about 70/75% blue remaining on barrel, action and mag, wear on action turning plum.
Its 38/40 cal 24 inch oct barrel with full mag. Bore is excellent, strong rifling no pitting. Action feeds like a knife through butter with dummy rounds.
My query is she carries what appears to be a carbine rear sight, were some rifles produced with this sight configuration? The serial number 2223xx indicates a 1903 build. Thanks your help.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Win 92 1903 build question.

Post by twobit »

Hello,

Yes, there absolutely were sporting rifles manufactured with carbine rear sights.
There is also a "sporting leaf" rear sight that is very similar to the carbine rear
and you may be confusing them. What are the distance gradations on the sight?
Both of these are noted as such in the original factory ledgers.
What is the full serial number for the rifle you are looking at? It is easy enough
to have it checked. Can you pass on the listing or a photo of the rifle? I am working on
a research survey of the 1892's and would like to add it to my work. You can read about it here:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ey#p343093

Thanks,
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Win 92 1903 build question.

Post by the telegraphist »

Gday twobit.
I have actually bought the rifle, its now in transit to a dealer in my locality, should arrive sometime this week. Then I await the necessary paperwork to be completed before taking ownership. I have not physically sighted the rifle, so cannot tell you more about the sights at this stage. I was just working off a picture of the rifle, though its not too clear, will post a picture when I am in possession. The seller advised the action feeds well, he also has the full history of the gun from when it arrived in Australia in the early 1900's. The seller was a very close friend of the grandson of the original owner, sadly the grandson is now deceased. Full serial is 222387. Thought that this configuration might be fairly scarce, or perhaps the rear sight may have been changed at some point.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET