Mossberg 464 "Brush Gun"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Mossberg 464 "Brush Gun"

Post by t.r. »

My nephew recently bought a Mossberg "brush gun" in 30-30 with 16 inch barrel and laminated stock. Finish appears to be a powder coat with "appearance of stainless steel". The carbine is well made and accurate. We mounted a Bushnell 1.5X - 4.5X scope and it shoots honest 1.75 - 2.25 inch groups at 100 yards shooting plain 170 grain ammo by Remington. Hand loading will likely tighten groups a little. It does have a rather loud bark but recoil is moderate.

My point is that this affordable 30-30 is a KEEPER!

Mossberg figured out how to compete during a slow growth market.

I'm not buying any rifles but if I were in the market for a new 30-30, this Mossberg gets the A-OK from me.

Please share your opinions & comments.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mossberg 464 "Brush Gun"

Post by Pete44ru »

And the pic................................................. :mrgreen:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The only one of those Mossberg lever guns I've handled was a standard blue carbine with the hardwood stock. It was tie strapped closed so I couldn't check the feel of the action.
What I saw was a rifle with adequate fitting of the wood and 'el cheapo sights.
How it felt I have no idea. How it would have worked at the range, or out in the field in the long run, I don't know.

I'm hoping that someday I'll run into someone at the range who will let me shoot theirs. Then I'll be able to voice my opinions on that.

Until then I have to balance the early negative reports from folks like OJ who had nothing good to say about the rifle, with the current positive reports such as yours.

It will be interesting to see how the "powder coat appearing finish" holds up in the long term also.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

J Miller wrote: I have to balance the early negative reports from folks like OJ who had nothing good to say about the rifle, with the current positive reports such as yours.
Yep, exactly. And I'm thrilled that some good reports have indeed filtered in regarding this rifle. As I posted earlier, I suspect it's the percentage of problem rifles that's a bit high with this manufacturer but if a guy gets a good one he's probably got just that - a good one!

I really like the fact that they've gone with a Winchester look on that rifle instead of a Marlin look as Rossi (and Henry to a lesser extent) have done with their .30-30s. This model is the best looker IMO:

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

If they can get the quality control where it should be I would try one like in Olyinaz's post. That is a good looking rifle.
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

Here's one positive review: Mossberg's Model 464™ Lever Action Rifle

Mark :idea:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have high hopes that US made firearms will make a hugh comeback....I'd pay a bit more for them...until then, I have more than a sufficient supply of long guns...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The ones I have seen have steadily improved.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I bought one of the marine coat shorty's--- shoots fine. Better fit, finish and function than a Remlin !!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

buckeyeshooter wrote:I bought one of the marine coat shorty's--- shoots fine. Better fit, finish and function than a Remlin !!
Those rifles look good ! I greatly prefer the aesthetics of it to the stainless/laminate Guide Gun type guns from big M ---- although i would not part with my Guide Gun at all and it is one of my favorite rifles

I have been on the fence waiting to see if the quality issues that plagued folks like OJ who were first in line, have been resolved ----
-- If so, a new all weather Trapper could be in my budget :D I had considered procuring a laminate stock for one of my Rangers and having the metal coated in a similar fashion, -- but if Mossberg has already done all the work and the rifle is good --- why mess with a perfectly good Winchester ?
----- Doug
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

wish they would put one out in 25-35
anyone else? ive read bout them & the review above was great
ollogger
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

ollogger wrote:wish they would put one out in 25-35
ollogger
Or 7-30 Waters. :D

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

olyinaz wrote:
ollogger wrote:wish they would put one out in 25-35
ollogger
Or 7-30 Waters. :D

Oly
Or .307 or .... --- sadly we know the answer to that one . The advent of the $400 bolt rifle package complete with scope means that new leverguns will just never get the love that they did even 30 years ago. :(

Best bet for a niche caliber would probably be from Miroku --- but likely not on a $450 rifle. MArlin was really trying, with the 308 and 338MX plus the 450 Marlin, but other issues have sidelined them
----- Doug
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Ollogger,
I'm with you on the 25-35 front. Not even a pack of rabid hippies could keep me away from a reasonably priced 25-35.
Eric
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

I saw one of those Mossberg 464 with 16 inch barrel composite stocks in store today. . Action is smooth. You cant have to many leverguns. The stock mounts with a bolt through stock like a shotgun. It seems well designed.
sharps1863
Levergunner 1.0

Post by sharps1863 »

I picked up one of the early Mossberg 30/30's and did not like it. Hope they have improved on them. 16 inch Brush gun may have renewed my interest in them.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

J Miller wrote:
I have to balance the early negative reports from folks like OJ who had nothing good to say about the rifle, with the current positive reports such as yours.
Well actually, I was not only reporting bad things about a new rifle that presented with multiple failure of parts to my fellow forum shooters but, my main problem I tried to pass on was the total indifference Mossberg showed toward customers having problems with their products. Yep - they did repairs but all shipping costs and inconveniences related were ignored by Mossberg and borne by me - the customer. I refuse to provide any company my business when treated with that attitude. There are companies that show appreciation for our business - providing them support. Good reports on the rifle are one thing but, I think the important thing is the lousy attitude and lack of concern Mossberg showed for their customers - I've seen no evidence that's changed.

Another concern I had and, at least as important as Mossberg's lack of concern for "customer relations" was the fact that many of the part failures came in the first few times the rifles were fired - I had three parts fail before I had gone through even half a box of 20 rounds were fired - raising the question in my mind about whether any test firing was being done. Evidence, as I see it, suggests there was no test firing at all done. This looks like a cavalier attitude regarding customer safety with their product - something I would think would not even be legal - nearly any product on the market is "safety tested" and most are legally required. I would think if any product should be "safety tested" before being sent out for customer use, it should be firearms - and a company that has been in the business as long as Mossberg should be aware of that - and not have to be forced to do so.

Lacking that, I'm surprised potential customers seem to be ignoring those concerns - to me, it's not just Mossberg producing a rifle with so many problems but. I will never consider buying anything from Mossberg again.
markinalpine
Post subject: Re: Mossberg 464 "Brush Gun"

Here's one positive review: Mossberg's Model 464™ Lever Action Rifle
Yep - there were a couple more about the time the 464 came out - one in Shooting Times and one in the NRA Rifleman (which I had held to a higher standard - mistakenly) - both highly favorable and - surprise - both magazines carried full color adds for the 464 - for one month - looked like a kind of "pimping" to me - but, I guess that's reality.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER