OT: Sudnay was a great day.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

OT: Sudnay was a great day.

Post by bigbore442001 »

On Sunday I had given a handgun safety class to a large group of people. It was very refreshing and enlightening. I love teaching these classes as the people who attend them want to be there and absorb the knowledge that you present to them. It is a stark contrast to the babysitting job I have in the present.

I am noticing a trend. More and more women are taking these classes so that they can obtain a license to carry a handgun for self defense. This means that I do have to make a change. As a rule I use a Ruger Mk2 stainless 22 autoloader for teaching the fundamentals of shooting. I am finding that the more dimunitive hands of most women find that type of firearm somewhat difficult to hold and the added weight of the bull barrel is another factor.

I am thinking of selling that Mark 2 and using the funds to obtain something lighter in weight and possibly smaller in grip.

Any suggestions for a good target pistol? I did check the Smith and Wesson online catalog. I recall handling their 22 auto loaders and they are much lighter in weight. I was thinking of getting two of those Smith and Wesson 22's for the classes.

Any thoughts are welcomed.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Sudnay was a great day.

Post by Borregos »

I don't know if you can still get them, but my Colt Woodsman Match Target is ideal for small hands. :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: Sudnay was a great day.

Post by John in MS »

S&W 34 (blue) or 63 (stainless). J-frame 6-shot .22's on the same frame as the common 5-shot .38's used for CCW. 4" barrel, adjustable sights, can be fired single action for learning the basics of accurate pistol shooting, and double-action as a DA revolver SHOULD be in a defensive situation. Very accurate, and the SA trigger pull is light-years better than on modern .22 auto pistols or SA revolvers. Beginners I have known have found them to be great training tools, and they hold their value REALLY well -- i.e., they are good investments, going up in value all the time!

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968