Morning hunt ruined

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Morning hunt ruined

Post by 336A »

I got up this morning at 5:00 and was in the woods by 7:00. At 9:30 I watched 4 deer come up from some low ground to my left. I quickly propped my 336 up on my shooting stick and anxiously waited for a shot to present itself while looking for antlers as well. The vegetation was pretty thick and I could only make out that two of the deer were does. Finally one spotted me from about 40 yards away and sent up the alarm to her commrades. I had one doe run right in front of me and momentarily stop, but I couldn't stop shivering from the the cool morning air to take a good shot :oops: I also thought that she was kind of small so I didn't feel bad. I continued to quietly sit and watch the squirrels and a few woodpeckers that were going about they're morning business.

At 11:00 I about fell over backwards off my folding stool from 3 quick gunshots that sounded like they were only 100yd to my right, son of a .....I said to myself. I quickly got up and walked into the low ground that was to my left as I had no idea what direction this person was shooting or if there would be any more shooting. After not hearing any more shots I walked back to my stool, I packed up and headed for the truck :x Sure enough as I started out through the woods I see blaze orange, the hunter was taking some pics of his 5PT were it came to rest just the other side of the rail road tracks. We talked for a bit and while looking at his deer I was kind of amazed at how small bodied these Georgia deer are. I think the doe I shot last year had a bigger body than that buck did. As we talked longer I found out that he too is a Soldier, and was actually looking for some pigs around the swamp area on that side of the tracks.

I told him how his shots surprised me as I was sitting up on a small ridge about 100 yards away when he started shooting. He apoligized and said that the buck probably would have walked right by me as that was the direction he was walking when he shot it. When he told me that I felt my stomach turning, I guess thats how it goes sometimes so there it is thats how my morning hunt went.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Morning hunt ruined

Post by Nath »

Your turn will come sir, don't give up :)

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nath wrote:Your turn will come sir, don't give up :)

Nath.
Yep. Just think, next time he won't be there, but some of his buddies could I guess. The life of a hunter.
Old Law Dawg
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

That's hunting on public land... and that's not the scariest thing that can happen. Try hunting in Eastern PA where you get "hunters" from NJ...

Nothing against NJ guys but the hunters that I encountered from there were just downright scary - in terms of their total lack of hunting safety knowledge. They would talk about "brush shots" - shooting into the brush at movement....

Now, fortunately, these types rarely went very far from the parking lots... but still, you had to walk past them to get to your car...

But it's not just that part of the country. I had a situation in Texas on public land where I chose a spot to hunt that apparently had been "claimed" by some group that hunts there every year. Now of course, this is BS and hunted the area anyway but it sure wasn't fun knowing those guys were around...

I thank the Lord for blessing me with the land I bought in Mississippi recently - 59 acres of private land to hunt on. Not to mention my buddy's 150 acre farm about 8 miles away. He's let me hunt that for the last 10 years and now I can return the favor :).
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Many years ago, while on public land, I sat down on the edge of an opening that looked promising, with the intent to watch that spot that morning. At that time, I hunted on stands. After about 10 minutes, a father and his son (I supposed at the time, anyway,) sat down on a log about 40 yards in front of me in the middle of the opening! I waited for 5 minutes or so, expecting them to move on, but they just sat there! I finally got up in disgust and headed directly into the breeze so my scent would waft directly into that spot. That is the first time I tried still hunting. I hunted about a quarter mile and a nice 3 point muley tried to sneek around behind me, and became dinner fodder for me that year.

I couldn't believe the brass of that guy in doing what he did, and in teaching a youngster that that was OK! :x

On the other hand, once I found out that I could be successful at stillhunting, I never went back to stand hunting. For that I am thankful. :D
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Been there. Being in Kansas and with all the new age hunting shows on TV telling of all the record class deer in Kansas people flock from all over mostly to be disappointed they didn't shot a Boon and Crocket trophy. Golly bill, it's TV folks take it for what it's worth.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

O.S.O.K. that is how it was/is growing up in the southern tier of N.Y. If one didn't hunt private property you realy had to be careful of the fellas that were up from either NYC and NJ. Then they started to buy up all of the property. I really miss not being able to hunt on my ol' neighbors' farm and the big deer in back home in upstate NY.

geobru, I had a fella do something pretty similar not long ago.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Don't feel to bad. I couldn't hunt this weekend due to being SIQ and on light duty hopefully I can get back out there next weekend.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I'm sorry, I just wouldn't phrase it that way.

You had a very successful morning in being vertical and enjoying the great outdoors.

Unsuccessful in whacking a Bambi, yes, but Lord knows we got plenty. You're welcome to come up to southern Ohio, we got the real thing here, not some of those overgrown scrawny German Shepherds like down south.

And you got to meet a fellow hunter who sounds like a stand-up guy.

All in all, I'd say a great day. Maybe not fantastic, but then again, a bad day outdoors is always better than a good day in the office, blah, blah.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

That's exactly right !

At this point in my life, just being able experience another sunrise, and actually get out & enjoy a new day is GREAT - outdoors is a bonus, and bagging game icing on the cake.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote:That's exactly right !
At this point in my life, just being able experience another sunrise, and actually get out & enjoy a new day is GREAT - outdoors is a bonus, and bagging game icing on the cake.
Having someone shooting AT you is a ruined day hunting... Nope, you were fine.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Pete44ru wrote:That's exactly right !

+1 --my thought exactly--a bad day of hunting is better than a good day at work :)
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

A neighbor shoots anything that moves. And that's why I can't encourage critters to come to my land by feeding them. I have 13 acres and he has 60, but he'll shoot anything anywhere, and then go fetch it.

rimrock
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Don't get me wrong folks, I enjoy getting out in the woods anytime that I can and it's just not for the sake of harvesting an animal. However it is also nice to know that your hard work put in scouting during the preseason was worth it. Especailly when your hunting in new country and on public land to boot. Since the other hunter couldn't see me and didn't know I was there, he could have easily shot in my direction. Thankfully however he did not.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sorry you missed that buck!
You will get your shot!
One thing I have learned over the years,when you hear a shot or two close like that(stay put)for awhile.
I killed a lot of deer that came right back from that direction(guy missed/pushed the rest to you/etc.)

You would be surprised sometimes how many deer can be between two hunters 100yds apart.

I would be sure to have plenty on so the bad shaking in the early am isn't a factor preventing a shot :wink:
Check out Bass Pro right now they are running a special on their Winchester(Cold Ridge)Camo Parka------$59 and its 100% waterproof. :o
I also wear their 1856 Redhead fleece Camo jacket under it on colder days and see it's also on sale ----------$29
The sale is running for Catalog/Internet orders only and is from their 68pg Deer Hunting Sale Catalog.

Oh, another smokin deal is their Redhead 9" 800gram Thinsulate, Bone-Dry Camo Big Horn Boots.--------------$49 :o

Good Luck!