BPCR- homemade drop tube and brass cleaning?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

BPCR- homemade drop tube and brass cleaning?

Post by awp101 »

What material is used for drop tubes? Is there an optimum size for reloading .45-120?

Before buying one, I thought I'd ask if one could be made since I'd have to order one. Seems no one around here carries them (or at least I can't find any in the places that actually carry reloading equipment).

What about cleaning the brass after shooting bp? I didn't think about the brass needing cleaning so the brass has been sitting about a month since I last fired it. DOH! Is the brass toast now?

Thanks! :D
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Decap the cases and soak them in soapy water. Non ammonia dish soap. After a while rinse them in hot water and when they are dry toss them in the tumbler. If you look inside and they are not corroded you should be OK.
You might need to use a brass or nylon brush inside the cases to get the heavy stuff out, but it should come out.

I don't know enough about drop tubes to answer that question.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Most I've seen were of copper tubing. I think Don McDowell made his own, not complicated. I think 20-24" is the recommended length. See Shiloh's versionfor a good example.

Naw, the brass ought not be toast. I deprime then wash in hot soapy water, let 'em air dry, then tumble if I want them sparkly. Sometimes I get a residue on the inside that is flaky and comes loose in the sizing die, I just dump that out and continue.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks!

After pricing brass for this cal, I was hoping it wasn't done for! :shock:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Made my drop tube from an aluminum arrow. If you shoot a lot of black powder, get a Thumler's tumbler and ceramic media...works slick and I hate doing dishes.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

cowboykell wrote:Made my drop tube from an aluminum arrow. If you shoot a lot of black powder, get a Thumler's tumbler and ceramic media...works slick and I hate doing dishes.
I've asked this before and lost the info, where do you get the ceramic media?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I made one specifically for my .45-120 Sharps sveral years back. Copper tubing and funnel with oak supports. Works great! :D

Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I think that I asked this question last time one of these were posted, but, what are they for? and how do you use one?
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I used a water supply line, purchased at Lowes (along with the wood)

Slow is just slow.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I carry a cleaned out, used gallon milk container, half filled with 2 parts vinegar to 10 parts water to the range. Don't even bother de-capping until I get home most often(keep forgetting my Lee Hand Press), put the cap on the bottle, shake 'em up good, rinse with clean water, and air dry....good as new.

Know the theory behind the drop tube, just do not see any difference between using that and filling the cartridges then placing them up right in your loading block and hitting the bench with a large wooden mallet next to the block. Seems to settle the powder the same in the cartridge.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I made one specifically for my .45-120 Sharps sveral years back. Copper tubing and funnel with oak supports. Works great! :D

I like that and it's good to know copper is an option. I have easier access to copper than I do brass.:lol:

Got a pic of it with a case in place for loading?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My testing shows that I can pack 14% more Goex FFG into a .40-65 case using my 24" drop tube.
The only way to get the maximum velocity and accuracy from those BP cartridges for long range shooting. Have fun! :wink:
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

What tubing I. D. and wall thickness are you using. Griff mentioned 20-24" , does either one seem to appear any better than the other? Also anyone got any outlet for brass funnel? Old time Hunter, are you using white or apple cider (yellow ) vinegar ? Great topic and pics .......thanks
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

cowboykell wrote:Made my drop tube from an aluminum arrow. If you shoot a lot of black powder, get a Thumler's tumbler and ceramic media...works slick and I hate doing dishes.
+1 on the ceramic media! Great stuff for cleaning your brass. I use it with a plain old Lyman vibrator tumbler and it does a great job. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mad mucus »

Joe... mate, looks a tad expensive(?) but Richard Rhody sells ceramic media here >>--->

http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ProductID=15

Mucus :wink:
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Gimdandy , The brass tubing on mine is very thin wall, about the same as a rifle cartridge and can be found in 36" lengths at better hardwares and hobbie shops. It is made so that each size just fits (telescopes) into the next size.
I live in a small town and two shops carry it. I get the one that is closest to the inside of the case I intend to load.

This works with some smokeless loads also. Certain smokeless loads with slow burning powders wont develop enough velocity,not because of high pressure but because of limited case volume. And compressed loads become just a case full when using the drop tube. :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Andrew wrote:I think that I asked this question last time one of these were posted, but, what are they for? and how do you use one?
Andrew - in large cases originally designed for black powder (such as the .45-70 ot a .45-120), using a drop tube allows you to get more powder into the case, and the powder size is distributed more evenly (fines to coarse), which allows for more consistent performance cartridge to cartridge. You need to be VERY careful though using a "drop tube" - don't use any material that will allow static electricity to build up. I know some debate this point, but why take the chance?
awp101 wrote: I like that and it's good to know copper is an option. I have easier access to copper than I do brass.:lol:

Got a pic of it with a case in place for loading?
I'll have to snap one when I get back from a business trip this week.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Andrew - in large cases originally designed for black powder (such as the .45-70 ot a .45-120), using a drop tube allows you to get more powder into the case, and the powder size is distributed more evenly (fines to coarse), which allows for more consistent performance cartridge to cartridge. You need to be VERY careful though using a "drop tube" - don't use any material that will allow static electricity to build up. I know some debate this point, but why take the chance?

Ohhhh....I get it now. :D Thank you.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Static build up with black powder is like catching VD from a door knob. Nobody ever has but do you want to be the first one?

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Rusty wrote:Static build up with black powder is like catching VD from a door knob. Nobody ever has but do you want to be the first one?

Rusty <><
Genius...:lol:

And that's also why I was wondering WHAT materials were safe.:D
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

thanks Chuck, since I've put this project off long enough I'll pick it up this week if I can and get started :)
Dakota7
Levergunner

Post by Dakota7 »

You can get ceramic media from this outfit, they are good people. They sell different sizes for differant cartridges. I use the spheres.
Their cleaner called tumble brite work great. https://www.sageoutfitters.com/cgi-bin/ ... &key=68002
Dakota7