P-38 is Home

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

P-38 is Home

Post by pwl44m »

Picked up My P-38 this morning. It is an AC 44. I have only done a little reading on these. It is the original P-38 not the P1 which has an alloy frame and which I didn't want. Word is that Germany isn't going to sell the US any more Guns so should make the collector value a little higher. This one is either New or arsenal refinished to new. The shop I bought it from says it is new, it certainly appears to be new.
The rig that I have for it was given to Me by My Daughter. She found it in a pile of trash along the side of the road where People dump stuff quite often.. The Holster has all the right markings and appears to be unused as well. If U don't read Deutsch the letters on the Buckel says GottMitUNs which means GOD With US. I don't know if Hitler believed in the same God as WE but I like it. And as luck would have it -the belt fits Me.
And for a few Pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: P-38 is Home

Post by jnyork »

Would like to see a link to the "Germany not going to sell us any more guns" story. Certainly would put Anschutz out of business in a hurry.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Beautiful looking weapon. But, and not to be disrespectful, doesn't it give you an uneasy feeling owning a pistol that might have been used to kill innocents?

As I said, no disrespect intended.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

UncleBuck wrote:Beautiful looking weapon. But, and not to be disrespectful, doesn't it give you an uneasy feeling owning a pistol that might have been used to kill innocents?

Anyone with an arsenal refinished military firearm, foreign or domestic, could ask that too if they really wanted to agonize over it. I would bet few ponder such things when they pick up a CMP Garand or an old Mauser or Nagant -- guns don't kill people, people kill people
----- Doug
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Pretty cool. Looks to be in great shape like you said. I had one of the alloy framed ones and it just didn't click for me so I got rid of it. Love the holster.
Old Law Dawg
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I would say that you and your daughter both done real good.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Streetstar wrote:
UncleBuck wrote:Beautiful looking weapon. But, and not to be disrespectful, doesn't it give you an uneasy feeling owning a pistol that might have been used to kill innocents?

Anyone with an arsenal refinished military firearm, foreign or domestic, could ask that too if they really wanted to agonize over it. I would bet few ponder such things when they pick up a CMP Garand or an old Mauser or Nagant -- guns don't kill people, people kill people
+1 Owning a military firearm is owning a piece of history. Even if the gun had undisputable evidence that it was used in horrible crimes, it didn't do anything itself - it was the man behind the trigger.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

jnyork wrote:Would like to see a link to the "Germany not going to sell us any more guns" story. Certainly would put Anschutz out of business in a hurry.
I've heard that too. It is my understanding that they won't sell anymore of their surplus handguns such as the former police Sig Sauer P6 that they sold a few years ago. (of which I have one).

I don't believe that this affects their trade in "sporting" arms. In other words they will continue to sell newly manufactured long guns and handguns but not used or surplus military or police handguns.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

damienph wrote:
jnyork wrote:Would like to see a link to the "Germany not going to sell us any more guns" story. Certainly would put Anschutz out of business in a hurry.
I've heard that too. It is my understanding that they won't sell anymore of their surplus handguns such as the former police Sig Sauer P6 that they sold a few years ago. (of which I have one).

I don't believe that this affects their trade in "sporting" arms. In other words they will continue to sell newly manufactured long guns and handguns but not used or surplus military or police handguns.
That is where I should have been more clear in that it is the surplus Guns that are at issue.
Yes Jnyork I would like to see a link and actually Uncle Buck I hadn't thought about it. I did picture in My feeble head that it could have been carried by some relative of Mine though. How many Colt SAA and Win 73s killed innocent People,any Gun for that matter. + if this Gun is in fact new- it never killed nobody.
anyhow thx for the comments.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Wow, very nice P-38 and that holster (and how it was found) are fantastic too. I definitely wish to add a nice waffenampt marked P-38 to my collection but I'm making do with a mint ex-Bundeswehr P-1 for now.

Congrats! I hope it shoots well. My P-1 functions great but it's a scatter gun. :lol:

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

With all due respect, that seems like an odd question to pose to the group of seasoned gun owners and collectors on this forum. Do you own any used firearms? How do you know they weren't involved in a murder before you took possession? The whole question is, again with all due respect, pointless and useless.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

When I read the title, I couldn't decide if the post was about the gun, the plane or the can opener. :wink: Amazing how the mind wanders before the first cup of coffee is finished.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That is certainly a nice addition to your collection :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

pwl44m wrote:If U don't read Deutsch the letters on the Buckel says GottMitUNs which means GOD With US. I don't know if Hitler believed in the same God as WE but I like it.
"Got mit uns" went back to at least the late-1800s on German Army belt buckles. Tradition is probably the only thing that kept it there once the Nazis took control. And American GIs turned it into "Got mittens".

Nope. Nothing says "WE WON!" more than taking the weapons of your enemies and using them for your own fun and entertainment.
Gobblerforge wrote:When I read the title, I couldn't decide if the post was about the gun, the plane or the can opener. :wink: Amazing how the mind wanders before the first cup of coffee is finished.
Gobbler
First cup? Mine does that all day... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Congratulations, thats a real nice P.38 that one was made in September 1944. I own two AC43 examples, and both shoot very well for what they are, both keeping inside a 3 inch circle at 15 yards. I use 124g lead roundnose pills backed by 4.8g Unique with ctg OAL 1.110" with a light taper crimp to get rid of the bell on the case neck after reloading.

I dont think about what previous owners may have done with them. To me they are an historic firearm, the first double action first shot semi-auto ever made.
Great fun to shoot.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I haven't seen a holster with markings like that. Do a little research on that one. It may be worth as
much as the pistol.

Always liked the P-38. Had one for years (AC43) nicely worn but works and shoots great.
While not as pretty as the Luger it's easy to see why it was replaced by the P-38. I've had
several of each. All the P-38s i had were 100% reliable. Can't say the same for the Lugers.
Though I did have a Finn marked Luger that was a great shooter. Should have kept that one.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx for the votes of confidence. I am well pleased with this Pistol, unless times get really hard it wont be sold. I have a ton of 9mm ammo and plan on burning some of it.
@ 2ndovc, i did a little looking for infomation on Holsters. I found a forum on German memorabilia.From what I could gather the Holster,Belt and buckle are correct for that year but I am not sure a 44 Pistol belongs in it.
@ telegraphist , thx for the info. I wondered what the i was for, had to count them up on My fingers.lol
Perry
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

With all due respect, that seems like an odd question to pose to the group of seasoned gun owners and collectors on this forum. Do you own any used firearms? How do you know they weren't involved in a murder before you took possession? The whole question is, again with all due respect, pointless and useless.
IMO, having a pistol from an evil regime like the Nazi's is quite different from having a Garrand or Winchester that was used in combat. That's all. It is a beautifully looking weapon.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Post by Mitch1352 »

My in-laws were getting packed up to move and found in a hidden drawer of his father's rolltop desk a P-38. Apparantly, his uncle drove a tank in WW2 and liberated the gun in Germany somewhere. He scratched his name and "Sept '44" inside the rightside grip. They live in Southern Utah, where the humidity is measured in fractions, so after 60+ years, the gun was perfect. He gave it to me to add to my collection of WW2 weapons.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

UncleBuck wrote:
IMO, having a pistol from an evil regime like the Nazi's is quite different from having a Garrand or Winchester that was used in combat. That's all. It is a beautifully looking weapon.
Keep in mind Uncle Buck, as you said; it was the regime that was evil, not the pistol.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Has anyone ever watched any episodes of a western TV series from about 15 years or so called (I think) Dead Man's Gun?
Maybe that isn't so far fetched after all, when extremely evil acts are committed.

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I saw that movie,but look how He aquired it, He stole it off a dead Man (nice looking Pistol though).
I didn't mean to cause a stink, In all due respect Uncle Buck- You make Me think I should be ashamed to own this Pistol. If thats the case I should be ashamed to have My Walther P-9,My Broomhandle Mauser, My 98 Mauser- I'm not, they are just pieces of steel filed and fitted into a form of something I enjoy "Guns" nothing more - nothing less.
Perry
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

UncleBuck,

I used to own a Walther PP, .32ACP, that was "R.F.V."-marked. It most-assuredly belonged to a NAZI, and there was no question that it was used, since was built. I often wondered about its history, but I never, ever felt bad about owning it, nor did I wish to "get rid of that filthy, evil thing". I sold it to buy my Henry levergun, ammunition & a case for it, a tank of gasoline, some groceries, and a membership to a gun range. . I do not feel ill anytime that I handle, use, or show off the Henry, because I bought it with "tainted money". The same goes for the other items that I purchased with that money.

Perry, Congratulations on your new gun.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

pwl44m * Hagler,

NO, NO, NO, NO, I AM NOT TRYING TO MAKE YOU FEEL ASHAMED ABOUT OWNING THE WEAPON, or trying to make you feel bad about owning it, or trying to make a moral judgement upon it.

I merely asked you if it felt kind of creepy owning it, knowing it was issued to the SS, and might have been used in "other than honorable" ways.

I was only trying to ask a thoughtful question and perhaps raise the general level of thinking up a notch or two, that all.

It is a beautiful gun.
Last edited by GonnePhishin on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Uncle Buck, thanks for clarifying. In answer to Your question- I never gave it any thought before or after Your post. I Guess things like that don't bother Me. To Me,We kicked Their Tails and this is a Trophy.
As a matter of fact I Took My Brother in this morning and He bought one also.
Now I must ask You,would it bother You to own this Pistol ? Maybe Your question is My answer. I hope this doesn't sound like a rebuttal as that is not My intent.
BTW< no need to refrain from asking questions, now We all have a pretty good idea where We stand on the issue .
Perry
Nordsee
Levergunner

Post by Nordsee »

Hello!

The statement "Germany isn't going to sell the US any more Guns", seems to shorten a rather complex context a little too much.

There are different rules for agencies in our federal states about what happens to used surplus guns. While some years ago it was possible to buy such a gun from companies who bought large numbers of these pistols, afaik all federal states now only sell or donate these guns to other government agencies around the world but not to private customers in Germany or anywhere else. Officially because of "security" issues (Every gun in private hands is one too much.)
For example in 2006 10000 pieces Walther P1 were not sold to private customers in Germany (Who require a license to buy a gun and if they have can also buy a new one anyway), they were sold to Afghanistans newly formed army. In 2009 there were only about 4600 pieces left in the Afghan forces there, the others made it to the black market.
I feel so much safer now...

The other reason it that our weapons law was tightened in some steps.
So if you now inherit a gun e.g. from your parents and you yourself did not have a permission to own a gun befor, then you are not allowed to own ammunition and you may only keep the gun if you disable it in a way that you can not use it. Therefor a bolt is inserted into the barrel and locked by a gunsmith. This costs per each weapon about 200 Euro which is about 275 US Dollars. Additionally all guns, also when disabled need to be stored in a safe and and it can be checked at any time by police if it is stored correctly. To avoid this and to get rid of the guns you can bring them to the authority responsible for weapons. Until some years ago the authorities scrapped some of those guns, and sold the ones with a value for collectors. However today all weapons have to be destroyed, even if they are from highest value (very old ones, prototypes, ...).

So it will be more difficult to get used guns from Germany in the US, but it does not effect newly delivered guns from manufacturers in Germany.

Greetings
Nordsee
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I was kinda hope it was the WWII plane
but thats pretty darn nice too
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Cruise
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cruise »

Gobblerforge wrote:When I read the title, I couldn't decide if the post was about the gun, the plane or the can opener. :wink: Amazing how the mind wanders before the first cup of coffee is finished.
Gobbler
My thoughts :lol: :lol: :lol: exactly!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Cruise wrote:
Gobbler
My thoughts :lol: :lol: :lol: exactly!
I now have the Gun and I have the can opener now all I need is the Plane. Come on Guys this is a GUN Forum, what were You thinking (or were U) sorry Hobie.!
Perry
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I own six firearms that were used to murder people and I can tell you who, when and where. I don't blame the gun for what the culprit did. My Marlin 39 was used in a double homicide in Austin Texas.

The Walther P-38 is a good pistol, I have had several. For some reason, my trigger finger always got bit when I fired them.

That leather looks to good to be true and probably is. These things are being reproduced right down to the markings and I suspect it is one of these.