Took Out My New M1A To The Range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Took Out My New M1A To The Range

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Took Out My New M1A To The Range

Post by Beaker »

Way to go Steve, I love my M1A NM too. Just wish ammo was cheaper. This is my rifle, there are others like it, but this one is mine... 8)
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Beaker wrote:Way to go Steve, I love my M1A NM too. Just wish ammo was cheaper. This is my rifle, there are others like it, but this one is mine... 8)
I don't find reloading for it too bad. I got some surplus 147grn M80 bullets for $110/K from Hi-Tech, some WC846 powder for $80/keg from Pat's Reloading, and some Wolf LRM primers for $18.50/K from the gun show to go with my free .308 brass (traded some range pickup 45acp and .223 for it). That means I can reload M80 ball 7.62x51 for 19.35¢ per round or $3.87 per box of 20 and I've got components for 4K rounds. :D
Steve
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Steve,
As you know, the real fun comes in at the longer ranges. My suggestion to you and the "older dudes" here is to get yourself a Springfield Armory 4th gen. scope mount. --------Stay away from chinese junk or cheaper mounts------SA mounts are not cheap. IIRC $200+. Then mount a decent Nikon or whatever you like on it.

Mine loves the standard Hornady 150 SP (bullet 3031) with a dose of BL-C2 or IMR 4895. Just last month I plugged 5 clay birds in a row at 500 meters.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think you said you got the 'standard' model M1A (?) - I'm very curious as to how accurate it proves to be for you. You're obviously experienced with the platform (M14) and I've read and loved your .357 long-range marksmanship posts, so I will assume that you will wring most of the potential accuracy out of the standard M1A.

The reason I ask is that I've always considered getting an M1A and didn't know if the 'National Match' one was different enough to be worth it for me, since I would be mounting a scope, and the higher-grade sights wouldn't be an issue. I've read where folks 'dis' the 'standard' barrels because they are not heavy enough or have less rifling grooves or whatever. I'm not a competitive shooter, but would like sub-MOA groups with a scoped rifle if I do my part - is that possible with your 'standard' M1A...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Great range report!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That sounded like a hoot, pleased for ya bro :)

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: My suggestion to you and the "older dudes" here is to get yourself a Springfield Armory 4th gen. scope mount. Then mount a decent Nikon or whatever you like on it.

Mine loves the standard Hornady 150 SP (bullet 3031) with a dose of BL-C2 or IMR 4895. Just last month I plugged 5 clay birds in a row at 500 meters.--------Sixgun
My gunsmith bud got a nice used M1A National Match a couple months back and used the mount you mention . He doesn't want to shoot reloads in it and settled on of all things the plain Jane Federal 150 grain hunting ammo . He used this stuff already during DCP season to wack a 150 pound black bear sow . And I am thinking if my hunting season keeps going as productively as it has so far I may just take it out a day or two and try to rub out a slick or two . Incidently he put the not very expensive Redfield Evolution 4-12 scope on top of his rifle .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Sixgun wrote:Steve,
As you know, the real fun comes in at the longer ranges. My suggestion to you and the "older dudes" here is to get yourself a Springfield Armory 4th gen. scope mount. --------Stay away from chinese junk or cheaper mounts------SA mounts are not cheap. IIRC $200+. Then mount a decent Nikon or whatever you like on it.

AJMD429 wrote:I think you said you got the 'standard' model M1A (?) - I'm very curious as to how accurate it proves to be for you. You're obviously experienced with the platform (M14) and I've read and loved your .357 long-range marksmanship posts, so I will assume that you will wring most of the potential accuracy out of the standard M1A.

The reason I ask is that I've always considered getting an M1A and didn't know if the 'National Match' one was different enough to be worth it for me, since I would be mounting a scope, and the higher-grade sights wouldn't be an issue. I've read where folks 'dis' the 'standard' barrels because they are not heavy enough or have less rifling grooves or whatever. I'm not a competitive shooter, but would like sub-MOA groups with a scoped rifle if I do my part - is that possible with your 'standard' M1A...?
While I'm tempted to stick a scope on it and go out long range shooting, I decided before I bought it that I wanted to keep it just like my old one. So, no scopes are in my future for this big girl. That's why I got the standard model. In addition, this morning my son and I went back out and gave the 200 / 300 yd range a go with the bowling pins. At 200 yds they are tough to hit but I got lucky a number of times and it was great. Using the 200 yd setting kept the sighting easy. I just had to stay steady and do my part. It's fun to practice at that range so that after I'm proficient I'll extend out to the 300 yd distance and squint until I can see those pins. However, at this point out at 300 yds my problem is I can barely see them and therefore hitting them was problematic. But as I said, that's what I want this rifle to be, a open sight battle rifle style so I'm tickled to death with it.
Steve
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's a real nice rifle.

Remind me not to pee you off anymore :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:
Wow... same here...!
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Wow... same here...!

Ok, guess what happened yesterday when I had the M-1A out at the gunclub? The winds were 15-25 mph. Gunny and I were shooting shot for shot. He was using a heavy match R.R in .223 with 80 gr. bullets.

We had the clay birds on the 500 meter berm-----I shot--1 foot to the right---he shot--a foot low---Anyway, we both burned up a full mag (20 rounds) before we powdered the FIRST clay bird :D (and yes, it was me! :D )

We decided not to shoot anymore (with those guns) as it was just wasting good jacketed bullets------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

AJMD429 wrote:I think you said you got the 'standard' model M1A (?) - I'm very curious as to how accurate it proves to be for you. You're obviously experienced with the platform (M14) and I've read and loved your .357 long-range marksmanship posts, so I will assume that you will wring most of the potential accuracy out of the standard M1A.

Dunno about sub MOA on my standard M1A but, at the range today, I picked off five of those little red clay pigeons on the 100 yard berm - my barrel is stock - I did replace the stock sights with an XS ghost ring set, though - and that improved my shooting.

The aperture is twice the diameter of the stock sight - and the white stripe is tritium - my 85 year old eyes aren't as good as they once were - but - good enough for now.

I think that stuff referred to as gold (for golden years) is more likely rust - but, as long as I can shoot every week - I really can't complain.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

OJ wrote:I think that stuff referred to as gold (for golden years) is more likely rust - but, as long as I can shoot every week - I really can't complain.
:lol: Yep, I'm getting a bit of surface-rust myself, getting out of bed is like busting loose a rusted clutch... :( - 'morning stiffness' takes on a whole and unpleasant new meaning once you get past the half-way mark... :lol: