which receiver sight do you like for .....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

which receiver sight do you like for .....

Post by rjohns94 »

a winchester 94 made in 77. its a trapper in 30-30, drilled for receiver sight. Which do you prefer, williams, lyman, which model? thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Re: which receiver sight do you like for .....

Post by abcollector »

Of the current manufactured ones, I prefer the Williams, either the the 5D or the Foolproof models. Ideally though, one of the older steel Lyman or Redfields.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mike, my 1978 .30-30 Trapper carries a Lyman - because it was installed when I bought it.

I like it about the same as a Williams, if not a bit better becaues it's steel - but I could do w/o the protruding adjustment knobs, since I'm a set/forget/shoot kinda guy, with friends that like to coon-finger sights and such. :roll:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've only had one Lyman receiver sight, and liked it (came on a used Marlin), but I've had eight or ten Williams FP's ('target' knobbed models as well as 'plain' ones), and none have EVER given me the slightest problem with durability, despite some hard knocks, and none have gotten any part of them rusted.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

rjohns94 wrote:a winchester 94 made in 77. its a trapper in 30-30, drilled for receiver sight. Which do you prefer, williams, lyman, which model? thanks
Williams FP. Put it on in 1980 when I bought the 94 Trapper and it's still there.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

77 makes it a top eject correct? don't have the rifle in front of me
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

For a new sight; either of the Williams. The 5D is a good sight if you are not planning on changing it after it is sighted in. If you do plan to then get the FP. I don't think that the new new aluminum base Lyman is as good as the Williams. However, I do like the older steel base Lymans.

Last edited by damienph on Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I've never used a Lyman so I can't compare but I've been happy with my Williams FP 94 36 apertures on my 94s - I take the aperture out for ghost ring effect - despite the one pic (hadn't done it yet).

I even put a Williams on my 95 -

They did require a little taller front sight but I like the XS white strip blades so didn't mind the change.

On the 94s

On the 95

Not only good sights but they seem indestructible -
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I have three sets of Williams sights on Leverguns.

So, what damienph said, although an old Lyman
does look great on a 94.

-Stretch
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My old 94 SRC, 25-35 had the ring removed and a Pacific receiver sight on it when I got it, let's see, 54 years ago. Has been a good sight so far but good luck trying to find one like it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I have both Williams and Lyman sights. The biggest operational difference is that the Lyman aperture slide can be removed by a push button.

My Williams FP, no target knobs, has functioned flawlessly for over 30 years on a 444. The steel Lyman on my Win 94 has done the same for 50 years. The aluminum Lyman on my muzzleloader has worked well also. So you can't go wrong with any of the common options.

If you want a good hunting sight I would choose the Williams FP without knobs as it locks securely and the aperture slide is sleek in the bush. The Williams 5D is a good sight if you are a set and forget type. They lack micrometer adjustment but lock down solid.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Any of the three on that gun. I have bent the Lyman aluminum base on my 45--70
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

I'm pretty tempted by a nice Winchester 94 Big Bore in 375 caliber at a local pawn shop. It is in great condition except that the front beed-sight insert appears to be higher than the original front sight would have been. The Big Bore is factory drilled for a receiver sight (two screw about a half inch apart on the upper-left of the receiver), and the screws look to have been removed with a screwdriver in the past because they are a little bit buggered.
Which currently available receiver sight will fit the two factory drilled holes on this Winchester 94 Big Bore leveraction rifle? I don't want to drill any additional holes in the receiver, if I buy this rifle, and my eyes will no longer get a crisp sight picture with the original buck-horn rear sight. Any information appreciated.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Any of the three will fit the Win BB 375 snakebite holes. Often when adding aperture sights the front sight must be raised.
Kind regards,
Tycer
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

southfork wrote:I'm pretty tempted by a nice Winchester 94 Big Bore in 375 caliber at a local pawn shop. It is in great condition except that the front beed-sight insert appears to be higher than the original front sight would have been. The Big Bore is factory drilled for a receiver sight (two screw about a half inch apart on the upper-left of the receiver), and the screws look to have been removed with a screwdriver in the past because they are a little bit buggered.
Which currently available receiver sight will fit the two factory drilled holes on this Winchester 94 Big Bore leveraction rifle? I don't want to drill any additional holes in the receiver, if I buy this rifle, and my eyes will no longer get a crisp sight picture with the original buck-horn rear sight. Any information appreciated.
I have the Williams FP94/375 on mine. I don't belive that the regular 5D and FP sights will fit because of the reinforced (fat) receiver of the Big Bores.

Didn't try the Lyman on it, but I suspect that the regular 94 sight may not fit the BB models either.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

damienph wrote:
southfork wrote:I'm pretty tempted by a nice Winchester 94 Big Bore in 375 caliber at a local pawn shop. It is in great condition except that the front beed-sight insert appears to be higher than the original front sight would have been. The Big Bore is factory drilled for a receiver sight (two screw about a half inch apart on the upper-left of the receiver), and the screws look to have been removed with a screwdriver in the past because they are a little bit buggered.
I have the Williams FP94/375 on mine. I don't belive that the regular 5D and FP sights will fit because of the reinforced (fat) receiver of the Big Bores.

Didn't try the Lyman on it, but I suspect that the regular 94 sight may not fit the BB models either.
You are correct. Only the FP is made for the BB. :oops: The Lyman would have to be modded and 5D would not work.
Last edited by Tycer on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Need I say? :lol: Williams FP 94/36
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Due to the stepped receiver on the .375 BB94 (+ .307/.356's & some .444's too), a receiver sight with a special/dedicated stepped base will be needed.

Williams Gun Sight Co is the only one I know of that makes the proper side-mount peep that its the factory prep holes on the BB94 -
the micro-adjustable FoolProof FP94-375, and the grubscrew adjustable 5D94-375.

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have always had a strong preference for a Lyman or Redfield sight over the Williams for no rational reason. To my eye, the Williams is just ugly and doesn't belong on a rifle in my house, so they are banned.

I have and will continue to hunt up older steel Lyman and Redfield sights. On leverguns, where I do not need click adjustments I like the old Redfield steel 102. Once it is sighted and locked, it is there forever and has no knobs to hang up on anything.

Now about this Ghost Ring business! These large fuzzy rings provide enough accuracy to hit a deer at any reasonable range, but if you want small groups on paper you are SOOL. The smaller the aperture hole, the smaller the groups. Yea..yea, I know..a bunch of you shoot sub-MOA groups with these big fuzzy holes.

Just my thoughts on the subject at hand.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I agree with Charles on the Redfield and early (steel) Williams sights.
That said, Most of mine are Williams FP`s
I have them mounted on at least 20 rifles. :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My preference would be the old steel Lyman first followed closely by the no longer made Redfields !

After that I would say the present manufacture Lyman equally with the Williams FP .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Might not be the prettiest arrangement, but years ago I added a Ashley Ghost ring sight to my 375BB and along with the XS white stripe front blade makes it extremely easy to accurately place shots....in all kinds of conditions and lighting.

Shot this freehand @ 100 yards, all five shots in under 30 sec.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'm rather partial to the Lyman No 56 sights. All steel, and they look much more classy and interesting than the later sights.

The Williams are good sights, but I can't get excited about how plain jane modern they look.

Lyman 56 on an 1886,

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The one thing I like about the Lyman 56 is you can't see the mounting screws.

I've never had one though. Back then I didn't know of them, now ..... they are too costly for me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

I like, own, & use Lyman 48's, 57's & 66's. Redfield 70's, 80's & their international sights. One of my favorites is a PH-5C for the Enfield No.4Mk.1*....which I don't have & want. Anyone want to sell me one? Please!!! :cry: :cry:

Favorite? Lyman peeps.

Peep's rule...

LB
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Malamute wrote:The Williams are good sights, but I can't get excited about how plain jane modern they look.
Why, just bang-em-up a bit, maybe spray them with some flat-grey paint to make them look like tarnished old steel, and you're good to go... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I broke down and bought my daughter a Henry H001 for the Christmas tree. I've been swapping e-mails with Andy at Skinner sights. He is hoping to introduce the receiver-rail-mounted sight for rimfires later this month. It looks very nice and, though twice the price of a Williams WGRS-54, and without the adjustments, it's blued steel (option for brass) instead of aluminum.

Overall impressed with the Henry - good finish, tight (hope it holds), and very nice wood.
This one (late) has the pot-metal front sight and barrel band, which I believe Andy can machine to take a dovetail and then any front sight (the forearm barrel band is plastic).