Puma buck

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dbowling
Levergunner

Puma buck

Post by dbowling »

Shot this buck on Nov. 17th with my Rossi .44 mag Puma, 75 yds. w/open sights, 240 gr. American Eagle JHP...field dressed 210# ... really really like this gun, with this load it will consistently hit a 20 oz. pop bottle at 100 yds w/open sights.
IMG_1027.JPG
IMG_1023.JPG
IMG_1025.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Puma buck

Post by piller »

Very nice!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

congrats. nice deer. no bone on my deer this year.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very Nice, saw a pony like that chasin a doe in My back fourty three weeks ago. :wink: .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool deer gotten with a cool gun chambered in a cool cartridge... 8) 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Post by 1894c »

nice job--i shot two deer with a marlin 1894 in 44 mag--you experienced what i did--the 44 mag is a great deer cartridge--thank you for posting your results... :)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations! Nice buck.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Nice buck and nice shooting!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's one nice whitetail. Nice work.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Good Job ! Very nice buck. I've got a Puma just like yours (I suspect) but haven't killed a deer with it yet.
dbowling
Levergunner

Post by dbowling »

Thanks for all the comments guys... the gun has the 24 in. hex.barrel w.case hardned reciever/buttplate.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Way to go! A friend borrowed my Interarms/Rossi .44 several years ago as a "brush" back up for his '06, and got a nice big mulie from about 100--also open sights--or about as far as the eyes (at least mine)alone will take you. Got it right in the "sweet spot" and said it fell like hit by a big truck. I never had such luck, but sure have enjoyed the gun (general purpose shooting but also in same role as "support" for my .270, trading off brush/rough terrain trompin' duty with a .30-30 on mule deer hunts).
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nice buck. Congrats! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

What are those stick things on it's head? None of the deer I saw this season had them.

Nice.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

great Buck!....and nice shooting too!

I got busted yesterday by a nice 8pt...
2 jumps and he was gone
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Great deer - they don't grow them that big in the TX hill country - have to head south to the salt marsh or west to the scrub to find white tails that size.
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

dbowling wrote:Shot this buck on Nov. 17th with my Rossi .44 mag Puma, 75 yds. w/open sights, 240 gr. American Eagle JHP...field dressed 210# ... really really like this gun, with this load it will consistently hit a 20 oz. pop bottle at 100 yds w/open sights.
IMG_1027.JPG
IMG_1023.JPG
IMG_1025.JPG
Impressive animal. :D

Congrats !

I have a pre-safety 16" Rossi Puma in .44 Mag & can't say enough good things about the rifle either.

This gun is a real blueprint 92 with none of the tang safety, rebounding hammer of the Miroku made Japchesters currently passing as Winchesters & for 1/3 the money..

I'm quite happy with the factory sights. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

It's a real deer slayer up to 150 yards with the FTX ammo. How often do you see a deer in the bush past 150 yards? Not very often.

It "bush carries" really nicely with "The Claw" sling from Quake Industries which has the conventional spud & swivel type attachment in the butt & a nylon choker loop that wraps around the barrel & magazine tube and won't fall off. This is the quietest sling made for deer hunting with a soft rubber cobra style shoulder pad. I hate those metal band swivel configurations that wrap around the magazine tube.

The gun handles the Winchester 240 grain SPs, the American Eagle 240 grain JHPs & the LeveRevolution 225 grain FTX ammo flawlessly.

I'm going to hand load the 225 grain FTX .44 Mag ammo now that Hodgdon has made the LeveRevolution powder available as a purchasable canister powder.

I cursed that rifle up & down til the air was blue & was ready to return it because of apparent feeding problems after I had an attack of the "smarts" :oops: & mistakenly installed the metal magazine follower intended for the .454 Casull in the .44 Mag Rossi. The .454 follower fit in the magazine tube all right but recoil would cause it to jam in the bottom of the magazine tube where it joined the receiver after the last shot & I'd have to reach through the ejection port with a brass punch & tap it loose before I could load any more ammo into it.

I have 3 Rossi Pumas in 3 different calibers & I don't keep my spare metal magazine followers in one jar any more. :oops:
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sorry. Impossible. :?

You were really using a .429 UltraBeltedShortMag pushing a 500gr bullet over 77gr Varget at 3000fpsMV. :shock:

No way could a PISTOL caliber do that. :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Old Ironsights wrote:Sorry. Impossible. :?

You were really using a .429 UltraBeltedShortMag pushing a 500gr bullet over 77gr Varget at 3000fpsMV. :shock:

No way could a PISTOL caliber do that. :mrgreen:
If you find a pistol that can & doesn't have a diesel motor & tracks..........I WANT ONE ! :mrgreen:
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Griff wrote:Nice buck. Congrats! :mrgreen:
I agree.
Old Law Dawg