What's wrong with this gun? (I'll tell you in a week)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Idahoser

What's wrong with this gun? (I'll tell you in a week)

Post by Idahoser »

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/974822602.htm?wl=1

Seems too good to be true.

(I'd love to have it, if it is what it seems to be, and I could probably talk my wife into it, but I doubt it'll last long enough for that to happen, if this is for real)

[EDIT]
Well, I bought it. I'll post more photos when it gets here. Thanks for the encouragement!
Last edited by Idahoser on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

The price to check out any gun on the internet is about $50.00 (shipping both ways). Are you interested enough to spend this amount? I use this guide on myself to determine whether I'm interested or not. Works too. I've only returned one gun so far. I think a 97% M.94 is worth that asking price. Also, doesn't that listing sight have a "make offer" arrangement?
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

From the pictures and description, what's wrong with it is that it's not mine! :lol:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Well, are you gonna buy that gun or whistle Dixie :lol:
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Waiting for a 'free estimate' this morning to get the garage door working again, if that allows for this rifle in the budget it will be mine (if it stays there that long).

BTW I did ask and he said it's all original.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Garage repair cheaper than anticipated.

I made the offer on his terms. Waiting to hear (this one ain't like GunBroker)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Glad you got to it before I, er, the vultures did. :lol: :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Well Hobie, I'm glad too but it's good to hear you liked the deal too. You may remember the pre-64 I had that had been re-finished, I would have preferred to have input like this before I bought that one.

I'd assume it's still possible until I hear from him that he could sell it local or have received other offers before mine, since it still gives you the opportunity to do so.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Shipping Monday (but at least I get it direct due to 03FFL!)

:waiting:
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

It's probaboy good. I got a flat band for $425 a few years ago.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Congrats, looks like a nice rifle at a great price. Please post some more pics when you get it.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Way to go Idaho! How you been? Did you grab that 94 B.B. .375 you were mulling over a month back? Regards. 1886.
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

Someone mentioned rifles that had been re-done. I like to collect Win 94's in the 1935 to 1951 time frame, but sometimes I see some that are in just a little bit too good of condition to not have been re-done. I always pass on those. If the stock is too shiny/glossy, and the metal a bit too blue, I let it go to another buyer. I wonder what the general consensus is about re-done rifles, whether or not the re-conditioning has been declared by the seller or just pretty obvious by the rifle being in too good of condition for its age.
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

ursavus.elemensis, there are quite a few as new 40's and 50's rifles out there.
Good pictures, trusting your gut and if possible dealing with stand up people will keep you from getting burned.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have a 1941 that I thought was unfired until I looked at it closer. The blueing and stock look really nice. The owner let me have it for $320 about three years ago.My 1950 that I bought used in 1958 looks almost as good, I reckon the way they finished them then was just alot nicer.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

1886 wrote:Way to go Idaho! How you been? Did you grab that 94 B.B. .375 you were mulling over a month back? Regards. 1886.
It was a couple hundred more than this, and I waited too long anyway, it's gone as of last week. I'll surely kick myself over it, too.

I was a little worried about the finish on the barrel and mag tube. Discolored. I've discovered I need to find them in really good shape to keep myself from fretting over it. Which doesn't go all that well with being a cheap broke ba$!@rd, but I have found a couple gems.

This will be my first pre-war, second pre-64. The Pre-64 was a 1951 that the concensus here was, had been refinished... and I sold it. It had a hitch in the action that bothered me too.

I like my 1971 just fine. I bought it perhaps NIB, near enough. Put a Firesight set on it and love it. Bought a Ranger Compact and my wife took it, bought a Trapper Compact and sold it unfired since I was scared I'd never get back what I paid. Stupid buying that high.