Of Mice and Men

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Of Mice and Men

Post by Marlin32 »

Wife just found two mice taking up house in the spice cabinet above stove. She threw away about $40 worth of spices, (I didn't think he ate much of the half-sharp Hungarian Paprika)
My dog Yasha got one, but the other has taken refuge under or in the couch.
Will be setting trap line this evening I figure, or dog will tear sofa up looking for it.

I know this has nothing to do with lever guns, but I did kill a mouse inside the house once with a 10ga single shot...long story.

Point is What the heck is it with women and mice? Jeesh, just a little mouse (well actually both were meadow voles, but when I tried to explain it to her I got that look)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Of Mice and Men

Post by AJMD429 »

Marlin32 wrote:I know this has nothing to do with lever guns, but I did kill a mouse inside the house once with a 10ga single shot...long story.
When our upstairs was just framed and sheathed, so nothing to damage, I went mouse-hunting with a Charter Arms .22 LR revolver and 'bird-shot' cartridges. GREAT fun (for me, not the mice).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sounds like the beginning of a home-based sporting event to me.

I don't see any reason whatsoever that an air-piston levergun could not be utilized.

Set up a blind on the other side of the room. Set up a blockade. Shut off the lights. Get out your night vision gear.

... and wait.

Think of the feeling of triumph you'll both have at 2am when you carry the tiny carrcass to her with the pronouncement "I got 'im".

:wink: :mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Now that You mentioned it. Found this little booger while remodeling the Kitchen. He had been there quite some time. I'll bet the people that lived here tried to find the smell. An Electrocuted Mouse.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

The mice we have around here are deer mice, which can carry hanta virus, so I take them seriously. :|
Have you hugged your rifle today?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sounds like time to break out the 10GA single shot.. :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

back in college I had "a" mouse, so, not being a levergunner at the time, I bought a mousetrap.

I set it up with peanut butter, heard a "snap" that night, and found - a different mouse in it.

I ended up taking 42 mice out of there, including one triple-lutz-three at one time.

If you do use an airgun, don't forget the safety goggles, and the plaster of paris.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

got skunked on the trap line overnight. Going to go to plan B, hope I don't have to get the old Long Tom 10ga out.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I slew many mouses when living in the tipi and the first cabin I had. I used the Marlin 39 and CB caps. Many dozen of the varmints met their end that way.

I found that the traps with the big plastic cheeze looking bait bar caught way more mice than the old type. I caught more that were just walking across the bait trigger with them than I did that were going for the bait. I quit even baiting them, just putting them with the bait bar trigger against a wall where mouses tend to walk.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

If you know of 2 mice then you a lot more.
Delt w/ this , around here you just set out poison ,set traps (spring and stickies ) and also you have to find where they are getting in and " fix "that issue. Will take some time to eradicate your mice and maybe it will be an ongoing problem if you don't stop them from coming in.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Trapped 6 just last week in My new Gun Room. I need to get a Cat but live too close to a heavily traveled road. I caught 2 in My corn barrel (corn is for Chickens) My long haired Chihuahua sure had fun with them.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The last one I caught was a cowboy mouse, caught him on the range. Baited the trap with a piece of fresh baked penut butter cookie and went to bed. I hadn't even turned off the light in the bedroom when I heard the trap snap. I told the wife, dang! That trap sprung. She said I'll bet you got him already. I turned on the light and sure nuff, there he was.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A couple of years ago we got mice. I got almost all of them with regular trapl and peanut butter, but one large one refused the peanut butter. I finally got the glue traps and for fun baited them with grape jelly. The next morning the big mouse was in the glue and PillHer said the mouse looked disgusted at my dirty trick of using jelly. I had put baits up in the attic, and just a couple of days ago, while getting Christmas Decoration down, found 2 dead ones which were pretty dessicated. Must have been from the batch a couple of years ago. PillHer's little Atlas Terrier sure liked catching the mice back then. A friend who lives out in the country has a couple of miniature Schnauzers, and they go after mice and everything else that size with all they have. I am not sure that a cat can do any better on mice than a terrier type dog. By the way, I did find the hole they were getting in and sealed it after putting in about 6 or 7 mothballs. A few minutes later we had several baby mice scattering around, and PillHer's dog had a great time. Not one of those moving chew toys got away.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I don't think cats are as much an eradicator as they are a deterrent. Had a mouse when we moved in this house some 23 years ago. Haven't had one since but we've always had an indoor cat.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Malamute wrote: I found that the traps with the big plastic cheeze looking bait bar caught way more mice than the old type. I caught more that were just walking across the bait trigger with them than I did that were going for the bait. I quit even baiting them, just putting them with the bait bar trigger against a wall where mouses tend to walk.

Same here.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I'd like to hear the story of the mouse hunt with a 10 gauge :twisted: :twisted:
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

A few years ago, when I lived up on the North Fork, my little 2-room cabin was like a Motel 6 for mouses.. It was impossible to find all their points of entry, but the holes I did find were plugged with steel wool and spray foam or boards..
I had as many as 18 Victor traps set, baited with peanut butter and jelly. Every morning, I had to run my trap line, to reset the sprung ones and dump the miscreant mouses.. Usually caught 2 or 3 per night..
For fun, on long, dark, winter evenings, I would sit in my recliner and watch for the little begggars to flit across the open space in front of the door.. They trecked from underneath the refrigerator, across to an end table then under the sofa. Some nights, i'd drop a few bread crumbs in the trail, just to make them slow down or stop.. I sat with my Colt Buntline .22 (7 1/2" bbl..) loaded with CCI CB Caps, and shoot as they crossed the opening.. I bumped off a lot of little rodents that way, and it was more fun than watching fuzzy TV...
My land-lady would have had a conniption fit, had she only known... Front door was steel-clad, and those little pills didn't make so much as a dimple in it..
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

RustyJr wrote:I'd like to hear the story of the mouse hunt with a 10 gauge :twisted: :twisted:
I don't know how much damage a 10 Ga. can make, but we did shoot this mouse with a 45-70 Sharps. It was making too much noise in a Forest Service cabin that had been abandoned years before. Not having anything but rifles, that is what we used to dispatch said mouse...

spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

All excellent hunting yarns! As much fun as it is to ventilate their flea bitten carcasses, I like to watch
my cat give them meeces pugilistic dementia!

I'm curious though.............

How would Pitchy take care of a rodent infestation? :?: ? :?: ?

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

You may find that granular DCON works without damaging the house or furnishings.
I always keep the attics baited with the granular type to avoid mice and squirrels. Same for ravel trailer and tool shed. The pests will usually nibble their last of the granular and cannot carry it off to where you do not want it (dog yard, horse barn, etc.) as they can with the chunks that are large enough to kill dogs.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I finally got one of the flat box type live traps that don't need bait or setting. Works great. Advantage over DCON is that every dead mouse is contained so you don't end up with smelly corpses tucked away in inaccessible places. Just put it near where mice have their trail. Once the first mouse is caught it attracts more. I once caught 11 at once.