the hunt that changed my life

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

the hunt that changed my life

Post by Scott Young »

many years ago i was hunting with a friend of mine. we had been calling coyotes and had taken a gray fox. on the fateful stand we had called in a coyote. he slipped in behind us and i couldn't see him though my buddy did. my friend was right behind me. i was using my single six and a shotgun. when i looked to my right and saw a slight movement. i raised my ruger and took a bead on what looked like a snout. i could have taken the shot and would have normally, but for some reason i wanted to see the tuft of the ear before pulling the trigger. i just held it there waiting for that next couple of inches of movement. just as i was deciding the coyote had sensed me he moved out of the high grass. i nearly fainted. it was my friend. he had moved trying to get a better position of the coyote he had seen. i was a heartbeat from shooting him. i was deeply shaken and learned a couple of valuable lessons.

1. the mind is a powerful trickster. the bill of his cap looked just like the profile of a coyotes muzzle.
2. camo really does hide you.
3. don't take the shot even through grass no matter how sure you are it will find its mark.
4. be sure to know where your hunting partner is at all times and don't move unless you communicate it to your partner.
5. remember a single mistake is fatal.

i have never forgotten that moment and i thank the LORD for saving me and my friend that day.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Wow...I could see that happening for sure. Thanks for the reminder Scott and glad everyone came through OK. Great also that you learned from it! Each of us would do well to do the same.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Words of wisdom - thank you for sharing!

A friend of mine lost his nephew to a careless hunter. He was 16, sitting in a pickup truck on a 2-track. Some moron out of Detroit - touched his gun once a year and was bound and determined to blast something - was down the road about 100 yards. A deer jumped onto the 2-track between the "hunter" (I use that word very loosely) and my friends nephew in the truck. The "hunter" took a quick shot - not even thinking what lay just down the road. He missed the deer and hit the boy, who died on the spot. :cry:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Excelent advice my partner and I aways make a game plan each and every stand from who has what shooting lanes to how long we will stay in a spot even what calls we will use and the sequence. Cant be to safe when guns are involved.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I've been peppered twice - once pheasant hunting (not with Dick Cheney), and once duck hunting. Both times were due to the hunters focusing more on the game, and not at all on the background (me). Too easy to do, we get tunnel vision.
Let's be safe out there and think of one another first and foremost.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Sound advice for sure. I always keep tabs on my buddy when we walk the woods for squirrel. Always maintaining visual contact.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I have been peppered once by a young man just learning to hunt. Lucky I had my Woolrich heavy jacket on. Took up all the pain!! Never hunted with that guy again!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

AMEN!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

In the army a guy from our squad ran out in front of me on a live fire exercise, cover and move. He moved when we were covering. It was a timing fortuity that he wasn't hit.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

I was hunting out of Cordova, Alaska on a blacktail hunt back in 2003 and heard of a man who actually shot his own son with a 30-06. It was a one in 10 million shot. His son was hunting in a ravine, quite some distance away, when the Father took a shot at a blacktail and missed. The bullet hit the mans son and killed him instantly. The fella owned the local Motel we were staying at in Cordova, and it was around Thanksgiving. After that, my buddy and I bought GPS radios that show on a screen where you and your buddy are at all times. Also, allows you to communicate each others position at all times. That's one of the reasons I don't like hunting on public land. Some of those people got no business with a firearm. I hunt on my own property and in the wilderness behind it. Also, have a rifle range set up on my farm to avoid being around others. It's safer!

Of course, if I was hunting with a Democrat, I might just buy him a hat with deer antlers on it and take him out in the woods with me... :lol: Just kidding :!:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

This is a poem that we see printed in a lot of Shooting books over here.

If a sportsman true you’d be
Listen carefully to me. . .

Never, never let your gun
Pointed be at anyone.
That it may unloaded be
Matters not the least to me.

When a hedge or fence you cross
Though of time it cause a loss
From your gun the cartridge take
For the greater safety’s sake.

If twixt you and neighbouring gun
Bird shall fly or beast may run
Let this maxim ere be thine
“Follow not across the line.â€
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thank you for posting this Scott.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

great Post thanks. Much to be learned there. glad all turned out well.

I hate hunting on public land as others mentioned. Looked around a tree once to see another hunter looking at me through his scope. I got up, walked right at him, crossed a stream and walked right up to him and then we had a discussion. He saw it my way and left the woods.

Was also shot at while in a tree stand. the guy said he thought I was a turkey. he may have been right but I was not the type that was in season. I came down out of the stand pretty quick and he and I had another discussion. Fortunately, I had lots of clothes on, he shot from a distance and he wasn't that great of a shot. After our discussion, he left the woods too.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Great Post Scott, I have had My fill of idiots in the woods and if I can't be assured of A safe hunt I don't go anymore. Jim.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Been in a similar situation. It can make you weak in the knees to say the least. Good advise all.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bloody Hell, I'm all shaky now!
You did ok Scott you waited to make sure of your target.
Thankyou for your honesty.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!