Hunting???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Hunting???

Post by foxtrapper »

Food plots,various bagged attractants, wi - fi game cameras ,naming animals yer hunting you found on cameras, buying farms just to manage deer- don't knock on my door asking to hunt,sitting in heated or air conditioned blinds ,driving a quad or electric buggy from lodge to said stand, feet touching the " woods" for only a couple steps. Not to me. What say you?
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hunting???

Post by cshold »

Agree, Agree, Agree…

I was blessed with two deer this year.

1. No scent killer soap and or charcoal clothing used.
2. No tree stand used.
3. No drip bags, or sent attractants used.
4. Just enough orange to be legal.
5. using my old plain-jane Savage 99C in 308win. with factory win. ammo.
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

Absolutely correct.
What is that all about? Is there no love for woodsmanship any more? Or, is it just to "get yer deer". If that's the case, instead of spending gazillions on all that machinery and doodads, go out and buy a side of buffalo or beefalo. Then, you have more time to watch football.
Maybe we're getting soft and lazy, pure and simple.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I never seem to have the time to hunt like I used to, even when I was in service working 12+ hour days and such.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
1894c

Post by 1894c »

casastahle wrote:Agree, Agree, Agree…

2. No tree stand used.
+1 --except no deer this year, no orange either--used my 1894c...
walked and sat and walked and sat and walked and sat...had a blast--relaxed--enjoyed...
sometimes I hate to ruin a good deer hunt by shooting a deer... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

A lot of this depends on if the property is public or private, what the neighbors are doing (or not), hunting pressure in the surrounding area and buck to doe ratio. Don't tell me the duck hunter with decoys, calls and camo is less of a duck hunter than a guy who just sits on a pond or a flyway and shoots whatever comes over. I just got back from a mule deer hunt where I glassed the ravines, draws and valleys for over a week. I saw plenty of deer at a distance. Muleys expose themselves two or three times per day, early morning, snack time and late afternoon. Nothing fancy needy to hunt them. Here the whitetails are in creek bottoms and oak stands. We cannot get in there. When the acorns are bad or the creek dries up the deer leave. We put in food plots to give them nutrition and therefore keep them around. Two neighbors are using food plots much larger than mine (about 100 X larger). If I don't offer the deer something they will all be on the neighbors with no reason to even pass through my small acreage. I share my spot with one guy in his 60's and another in his 70's. One of the younger guys is 6'3" and 290 pounds solid. None of these three hunters can sit in a conventional tree stand so they must use a box blind or tower with a staircase-like entry point. The deer must be 13" inside spread minimum to be legal due to antler restrictions. By using cameras, we evaluate the bucks and decide which are legal. This way we avoid borderline or controversial bucks and we hold out for mature bucks, knowing what is frequenting the property. We cut paths, block paths and re-route deer to give us a presentation. Stands are moved during the season to avoid hogs and get to where the deer patterns are. More effort, strategy and "hunting" goes into this little 100 acre property than you can imagine. It is a heck of a lot more effort, planning and hard work than wandering around using the wind and hedging our bets. Nonetheless, it is not necessarily more successful than a plain ole lucky day. So far 5 hunters since November 4th have taken exactly tone doe and one buck. No other legal bucks have been seen for more than a glimpse during daylight hours. We can get away with work clothes that are scent free and no other gimicks when spot and stalking or sitting in a blind. When using a treestand or ground concealment where the deer are 25 yds or less we cannot get away with anything. Good camo, scent control and strategic placement are the only way to get the deer this close on our property. I absolutely guarantee that if you show up with the same clothes you ate breakfast in and drove to the property in your car in, and walked around all day for a week you would see exactly zero deer on my 100 acres. If you study the property and pick an ambush point, using scent control and good camo and wait it out you will see some deer within a week, although maybe not a legal one. Every area is different. I've hunted river bottoms in MT with work clothes and spot and stalk methods following the water flow and I've been successful every time within a week - and that's knowing nothing about the property besides the boundaries. My NYS property near Roxbury allowed careful, slow walking up and down the terrain to see deer on trails in the distance and yielded open shots or the ability to get closer first. Not so on my current property. It's legal and a sound method and the only way that might equal the odds (but never put them truly in your favor). I like hunting both ways and will continue to adjust my methods, stragegies and accessories based on the conditions, terrain and other factors.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
1894c

Post by 1894c »

86er -- enjoyed your comments and your experiences--thank you... :)
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

The way I hunt is fill my coat pockets with what I need and go for a walk. List of items.
extra ammo
knife
compass
marking ribbon
a few candy bars
TP
bottle of water
I may use a ATV to bring the deer out, but it only goes into the bush once the deer is down. The only bait I use is what ever either mother nature has grown (wild apples, acorns etc) or harvested crops if I'm in a farming area.
I forgot to include a pack of smokes, I have shot more deer while stopped to have a smoke than I care to admit to.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Try hunting heavily pressured public land where baiting is illegal. That lowers most kill ratio's. 1 so far, next chance to hunt is after xmas, doe only propostion. To each his own.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

1894c wrote:

2. No tree stand used.
walked and sat and walked and sat and walked and sat...had a blast--relaxed--enjoyed...

+2

Have a Yamaha EPS 700 Grizzly (don't use it for hunting )I walk it, I shoot em, I drag em.
Sure, I own my own land and could setup a tree stand and wack a real big one,but I hunt on the ground/open sights/no cover scent/bait.
Let some smaller ones pass this year(under the 140 class) and that is just fine and dandy. Don't shoot doe.

Each their own! :wink:
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

Just depends. Almost everyday of my life is spent with whitetails managing my ranch land for whitetails. Whether it is prepping pastures for a controlled burn to manipulating habitat in favor of the whitetail, some pretty long hours in the cab of a tractor planting food for them, or sitting in a stand, I don't see a problem with any of it. Here in the Southern half of Texas, it is one way of ensuring habitat down the road. Like somebody said, to each their own.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

madman4570 wrote:
1894c wrote:

2. No tree stand used.

+2

Have a Yamaha EPS 700 Grizzly (don't use it for hunting )I walk it, I shoot em, I drag em.
Sure, I own my own land and could setup a tree stand and wack a real big one,but I hunt on the ground/open sights/no cover scent/bait.
Let some smaller ones pass this year(under the 140 class) and that is just fine and dandy. Don't shoot doe.

Each their own! :wink:
I will be hunting doe in a heavily populated urban area. If there isn't a big doe kill the auto insurance industry along with peta :roll: will push for deer birth control pills and try to start a program to educate the doe to just say NO to reproduction. If that doesn't work, the game commission will import coyotes. Plus, i can use the meat :oops:
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

To each their own is right. As long as it is legal and the hunter can live with it, should be no problem. I hope this thread doesn't turn into the dust up the last one of these was.

Kevin
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

foxtrapper wrote:Food plots,various bagged attractants, wi - fi game cameras ,naming animals yer hunting you found on cameras, buying farms just to manage deer- don't knock on my door asking to hunt,sitting in heated or air conditioned blinds ,driving a quad or electric buggy from lodge to said stand, feet touching the " woods" for only a couple steps. Not to me. What say you?

Foxtrapper: You've pretty much said it all. Maybe the onliest thing you missed are them fellars that feel the need to shoot their animals at ranges of up to 1,000 yards. I appreciate good markmanship, but, in my view, that's pretty inexcusable. I'm sure some will disagree.

Roadhunters are another big irritant. My son Matt led a guy (after a long hike) to a nice 6X6 elk this fall; right after the guy shot it a truck pulled up with 3 yahoos in it. They all bailed out of the vehicle and proceeded to unload their rifles at the elk. After their guns were empty they didn't bother to even walk out to where the elk had been, but loaded back up and went off on their merry way. Matt told me that while they were field dressing the bull a bunch of other road-hunters came flying down the road, apparently attracted by the shooting. These characters are worse than grizzlies (or brownies in AK) that are attracted to the sound of gunfire (or the "dinner bell").

What is even more frustrating, is when you're putting a stalk on some animal and these jokers come driving right out into the middle of the field (or wherever) and run the animal(s) off. This problem is very acute in Northern AZ, much less so in much of MT where private land predominates.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

jerry b wrote:Absolutely correct.
What is that all about? Is there no love for woodsmanship any more? Or, is it just to "get yer deer". If that's the case, instead of spending gazillions on all that machinery and doodads, go out and buy a side of buffalo or beefalo. Then, you have more time to watch football.
Maybe we're getting soft and lazy, pure and simple.

stand locations have to be scouted out well ahead of time, game trails located --- more goes into it than just "sittin in a stand"
I use the same methodology that i put into a bow hunt ( which are almost exclusively stand or blind hunts for most) -- but extend it out to a 100 yard radius instead of a 25 yard radius

I used a box blind this year --- it was frigid due to wind and sleet. true, it was more tolerable than being out on an open tripod stand, but it was far from comfortable

A lot of our hunting choices are regional -------
that said, i still think putting a side of buffalo on the credit card is a great idea too ! :D Yum
----- Doug
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I dont worry much what other people do, or what they think either to be quite honest. When I hunt in big woods I walk, look, listen & often find a place to sit & watch for game. When I bowhunt near home I use tree stands, pop up blinds and sometimes bait. Similar to what 86er said I'v found that in some places if I dont bait the deer dont come around, they go to someone elses corn pile and in most cases because of property sizes I cant move over or follow them. I dont go crazy for camo but I have a bunch of it, mostly cargo pants, t-shirts & sweat shirts. Not sure that it helps with the deer but they come with alot of pockets & work for me so I buy them. I value both extremes equally and, while I might shake my head in wonder at the guys that need the newest flattest bow or gun & scent free clothes & super doe squat juice attractants & all that jazz, I dont look down my nose at them. Its a free country & I dont like people judgeing me so I try not to do it to them.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

My normal routine is to go on a day hunt with horses either behind my place or I trailer them a few miles. I ride gated roads hardly ever run into people ride along till I spot elk step down and get to shooting works well. I occasionally will go in the backcountry for a week or 2 with pack animals in the bob or absarokees for the early season rifle hunt. Hunting with stock is the way to go unless you like to walk. danny
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Much of the reason I've been hunting the way I do for the past couple of
years is just purely out of old school nostalgia. I've been slowly replacing
most of my hunting wear with vintage USA made Filson, Woolrich and
LL Bean products. And yes eBay is the bomb when it comes to locating
these vintage hunting items. :D
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I do what I need to do in the places where it needs to be done in order to put meat in the freezer.

Whether I need to sit in a freezing rain with a sharp stick or pull out my wallet and say "that one", I do it.

If you don't like the way I do it and I'm not breaking the law, then turn your overly judgemental gaze to somone else and leave me alone, because I don't have time to waste on your ignorance or predjudce.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

BigSky56 wrote:Hunting with stock is the way to go unless you like to walk. danny
Man, I can't agree more!

Though I grew up on horseback (literally according to my Mothers version) as I got older, married and jobs that took me away from home, the more I started hiking. I just didn't have the time nor money for horses.

Now a great day deer or elk hunting has me heading out the back door and into the timber with a small pack on that will keep me warm overnight that has a thermos of warm coffee and a couple sandwiches along with whatever levergun has convinced me to take it along. As I got older I also found a small folding stool stuffed into my pack makes life much more comfortable..... :mrgreen:

A day spent out hunting like that (or wandering, hiking and exploring according to my wife!) usually finds me getting into deer or elk at some point during the season as long as I cover enough miles. This year found me bring home a nice mulie and antelope from Wyoming, a nice meat buck and bull elk here at home all taken with leverguns. I chalk that up to planning and putting on plenty of miles on foot.

2x22

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I am definately one of the hunters that is ANNOYED :x with the commercialization of DEER HUNTING! All we ever see in the Hunting mags is how we have to have the most modern equipment if we want to harvest a nice deer. Glad to say this year I harvested a NICE buck using my Marlin 336 30-30 and a box of FEDERAL Power Shoks from Walmart. NO CORN, NO DEER CAMERAS, and NO SCENT CONTROL other than proper bathing of course :lol: and my camouflage was a pair of old army coveralls that I received during the last years of my time in the army. I guess I did cheat and buy me a deer stand at Walmart that was on sale for $88. ITS BEEN A GREAT YEAR of hunting for me!

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I hunt however the terrain commands. In New Mexico when I hunt for mulies, it is just as Joe said. I glass the canyons, ravines, the tops of mesquites, and often cover 5 to 10 miles a day on foot. Not using scent control is not crucial if you plan your stalk and play the wind to your advantage. Sometimes the deer outsmart you, and sometimes you get lucky.

In TX, I usually hunt in a stand. When you are on a lease there is often enough other people on the place that you can't do much walking without disturbing their hunting areas. On public land you might get shot if you do too much walking around. Try doing a spot and stalk in east TX where you can't even see 10 feet in front of you because the undergrowth is so darn thick. You almost have to sit on a clearing where there is a feeder or a natural game trail to see anything.

I have never had an atv or anything like that, but I have grown to not despise them like I used to. It's just a practical tool if used in the right way. I was blessed enough to get to hunt on a 3,200 acre piece of property this past weekend, and if not for the atv i was using, it would have taken me hours to walk back to the house and get the truck to haul the deer back. Meat spoils, and the faster you get it on ice, the better. Granted, on a piece of property that big, you can do a lot of walking around and spot and stalk, of which I did some. If you are hunting in a stand on a property that big, you might as well just take your sleeping bag if you don't have a vehicle, because when it's 3 miles away, it takes a while to get to.

I in no way think you have to have the latest and greatest gadgets or gear to be a successful hunter, but a lot of the guys that do have that stuff put just as much work into the hunt as some of the old school guys. People use technology to add convenience to every other aspect of their life. I see no difference with hunting. As long as it's done legally and ethically I have no problem with it.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

shooter wrote:I hunt however the terrain commands. In New Mexico when I hunt for mulies, it is just as Joe said. I glass the canyons, ravines, the tops of mesquites, and often cover 5 to 10 miles a day on foot. Not using scent control is not crucial if you plan your stalk and play the wind to your advantage. Sometimes the deer outsmart you, and sometimes you get lucky.

In TX, I usually hunt in a stand. When you are on a lease there is often enough other people on the place that you can't do much walking without disturbing their hunting areas. On public land you might get shot if you do too much walking around. Try doing a spot and stalk in east TX where you can't even see 10 feet in front of you because the undergrowth is so darn thick. You almost have to sit on a clearing where there is a feeder or a natural game trail to see anything.

I have never had an atv or anything like that, but I have grown to not despise them like I used to. It's just a practical tool if used in the right way. I was blessed enough to get to hunt on a 3,200 acre piece of property this past weekend, and if not for the atv i was using, it would have taken me hours to walk back to the house and get the truck to haul the deer back. Meat spoils, and the faster you get it on ice, the better. Granted, on a piece of property that big, you can do a lot of walking around and spot and stalk, of which I did some. If you are hunting in a stand on a property that big, you might as well just take your sleeping bag if you don't have a vehicle, because when it's 3 miles away, it takes a while to get to.

I in no way think you have to have the latest and greatest gadgets or gear to be a successful hunter, but a lot of the guys that do have that stuff put just as much work into the hunt as some of the old school guys. People use technology to add convenience to every other aspect of their life. I see no difference with hunting. As long as it's done legally and ethically I have no problem with it.

Well Said :)
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

Awesome Buck!!!!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

A saying my Dad often said and still uses to this day:

"At the end of the day it all boils down to being at the right place
at the right time in that magic moment"
8)
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

horsesoldier03 wrote:I am definately one of the hunters that is ANNOYED :x with the commercialization of DEER HUNTING! All we ever see in the Hunting mags is how we have to have the most modern equipment if we want to harvest a nice deer. Glad to say this year I harvested a NICE buck using my Marlin 336 30-30 and a box of FEDERAL Power Shoks from Walmart. NO CORN, NO DEER CAMERAS, and NO SCENT CONTROL other than proper bathing of course :lol: and my camouflage was a pair of old army coveralls that I received during the last years of my time in the army. I guess I did cheat and buy me a deer stand at Walmart that was on sale for $88. ITS BEEN A GREAT YEAR of hunting for me!

Nice deer! Looks like an agricultural area? I'm as nastalgic as anybody, but Hunting farms & fields IMHO isnt much if any different than useing store bought attractants & such. Nothing wrong with it at all, but if people dont have a farm or other thing to attract deer for them & need to buy stuff or do it themselves why should they be looked down on? JMHO but a nice 8 pointer harvested in the woods is as great a trophy as a monster 160 class harvested in farm country, maybe more. On another note I never found a need for anything except A rifle & time in the field to kill a deer with a gun.
Its all good as long as its legal but I'm always amused that a guy can kill a deer over a havested corn or soybean or anything else field and believe that its any different than hunting over a pile of corn. IMO its not, but thats just my opinion & its worth what you paid for it. :wink:
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I agree that the commercialization of hunting appears to be out of control. I also feel that there is way too much focus upon large antlers. I've killed plenty of forkies without shame.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

foxtrapper wrote:Food plots,various bagged attractants, wi - fi game cameras ,naming animals yer hunting you found on cameras, buying farms just to manage deer- don't knock on my door asking to hunt,sitting in heated or air conditioned blinds ,driving a quad or electric buggy from lodge to said stand, feet touching the " woods" for only a couple steps. Not to me. What say you?
Kinda hard to avoid above when you hunt in 2' snow, -3 temps, several miles from nowhere.

BTW, what is "orange"?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I guess it all depends where you hunt!
You guys that live around farm land or up north will probably see
more deer in 2 weeks than I will see in 2 months hunting
the pine/palmetto flats and cypress swamps of florida....
Its so thick down here that if you are not elevated you
will not see anything...So I use ladder and Summit climbing treestands.
Its really hard to pattern deer down here because they can walk anywhere
and not be seen....so I use a camera...to pattern them...
and find out if the buck is worth hunting...
And when its wet down here....and wading thru water...what a pain.....
On private land I used an ATV because I dont like dragging a deer over a mile!
On public land we have no choice.....no atvs allowed..
I use camo and traditional hunting attire. I use bows muzzleloader shotguns and rifles.....
Down South if you dont have your own land....we lease it...
and just about everybody I know who leases land puts small food plots on the
edges of clear cuts....and we use feeders also...
Floridas environment has been completely altered by the tree farm / logging industry...
so the browes is not up to par....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

Few people hunt anymore, they shoot. My boss has what amounts to a condo tree stand. Buys corn to feed deer year around. Opining day he drives out in his 4 wheeler, climbs up into his condo and when the deer show up at the feeder he shoots one. That, my friend is NOT hunting.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What 86er and FWiedner said.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

pdawg.shooter wrote:Few people hunt anymore, they shoot. My boss has what amounts to a condo tree stand. Buys corn to feed deer year around. Opining day he drives out in his 4 wheeler, climbs up into his condo and when the deer show up at the feeder he shoots one. That, my friend is NOT hunting.
Agreed, but after reading all of these posts, a lot of arguments made are based upon geography. What conditions are in their part of the country seem to dictate what people are using for what is nowadays considered hunting. If we were all "throwback" hunters, then the great marketeteers of gadgetry, like Cabelas and the gun magazines, as well as those "outdoors" TV shows, would pretty much be out of business. I live in the north, and am pretty much in agreement with you, but I don't know if I would be if I lived and hunted someplace else. Bottom line for me though, is that there's a lot of gimmickry that's out there, being sold, that has taken the "hunt" out of hunting wherever anybody lives.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Any need one can figure how to fill will be marketed and that means commercialization. Free enterprise, America.
Bicycles, fishing poles, sunglasses. Pretty much across the board, the marketing costs are greater than the manufacturing costs of the product itself, and part of marketing is to tell you you ain't got it unless you're caught up to the last-minute high-tech. How can you tell if a marketer is lying? He's writing ad copy.

Game management on a ranch (especially in Texas) is not a conspiracy, and corn-fed deer in Kansas whether they were opportunistic raiders of the cornfield or whether they were baited by the landowner still got their calories from agriculture. (I've shot some really fat quail on the edge of my grandfather's soybean fields, so full in the late afternoon they could barely fly)

Lottery hunts on Texas game preserves - they'll drop you on 500 acres, and you're on your own.

Buy into what works for you. Once upon a time the land was wild, there were no fences and no rules.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

2571 wrote:
Kinda hard to avoid above when you hunt in 2' snow, -3 temps, several miles from nowhere.

BTW, what is "orange"?

Remember, You Asked... :P

Courtesy Of The PA. Game Commission “Fluorescent Orange Requirements”

All Small Game Seasons.
A minimum of 250 square inches on head, chest and
back, combined, visible 360 degrees.

Deer, Bear & Elk Firearms Seasons
A minimum of 250 square inches on head, chest
and back combined, visible 360 degrees.

Wild Turkey Seasons (Fall)
Wildlife Management Units 1A, 1B, 2A & 2B
(Shotgun, Archery Areas)
Hat containing a minimum of 100 square inches of solid
fluorescent orange material, visible 360 degrees at all times
when moving. May be removed at stationary calling
location.

Wild Turkey Seasons (Fall)
All Other Wildlife Management Areas
(Shotgun/Rifle Areas)
A minimum of 250 square inches on head, chest and back
combined, visible 360 degrees at all times when moving.
May be removed at stationary calling location, providing
a minimum of 100 square inches of daylight fluorescent
orange material is posted within 15 feet of the location
and is visible 360 degrees.

Groundhog Hunting
A hat containing a minimum of 100 square inches of solid
fluorescent orange, visible 360 degrees, must be worn at
all times.

(During Overlap with Fall Turkey Season)
When hunting in an area with a concurrent fall turkey
season, a hat containing a minimum of 100 square inches
of solid fluorescent orange must be worn when moving.
The hat may be removed when archer is stationary or on
stand.

(During the overlap with the October Muzzleloader/
Special Antlerless Firearms Seasons in October)
When hunting during the early muzzleloader antlerless deer
season/special antlerless firearms season, a minimum of
250 square inches on head, chest and back combined,
visible 360 degrees at all times when moving. May be
removed when archer is stationary in a tree or ground
stand, providing 100 square inches of fluorescent orange
material is posted within 15 feet of the location and is
visible 360 degrees.

Early Muzzleloader Antlerless Deer Season in October
A minimum of 250 square inches must be worn on the head,
chest and back, combined, visible 360 degrees.

None Required
No fluorescent orange is required when hunting waterfowl, doves, spring gobblers, crows and furbearers. None is required during the regular archery deer season, except during an overlap with turkey seasons and during the early muzzleloader deer season/special October antlerless firearms season. Hunters participating in the after-Christmas flintlock muzzleloader or archery deer seasons are not required to wear fluorescent orange (See Special Regulations Areas section in this Digest for additional information). Hunters participating in the spring gobbler season are no longer required to wear a fluorescent orange hat while moving.

Camouflage Fluorescent Orange
Camouflage fluorescent orange may satisfy orange regulations when 250 square inches of safety material is required if the orange content is at least 250 square inches. When a hat containing 100 square inches of orange is specified, the cap must be solid fluorescent orange.

Note: The required amount of fluorescent orange for each season must be worn while moving from one hour prior to the start of legal hunting hours and for one hour past the closing of legal shooting hours. Coyote hunters must wear 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange during the regular firearms season for deer or any bear season from one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

2X2, we have so many miles of gated & kelly ditched roads that are closed to vehicles but open to stock and foot traffic the dark timber makes it easy to get up on them most my shots are under 50 a long shot would be 150 in a clearcut I usually catch them in their day beds along side the roads the hoof beat of a horse doesnt bugger elk I guess they think its another elk moving around Ive ridden into a herd of elk while using a cow call. I also am eating elk this year. for a day hunt 6to18" snow is ideal I split them in half leave the hide on tie a rope to them and skid them down the road to the truck. you cant sneak up on elk with a vehicle as soon as the atvs get behind a gate the elk head for new areas. danny
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Leverdude wrote: Nice deer! Looks like an agricultural area? I'm as nastalgic as anybody, but Hunting farms & fields IMHO isnt much if any different than useing store bought attractants & such. Nothing wrong with it at all, but if people dont have a farm or other thing to attract deer for them & need to buy stuff or do it themselves why should they be looked down on? JMHO but a nice 8 pointer harvested in the woods is as great a trophy as a monster 160 class harvested in farm country, maybe more. On another note I never found a need for anything except A rifle & time in the field to kill a deer with a gun.
Its all good as long as its legal but I'm always amused that a guy can kill a deer over a havested corn or soybean or anything else field and believe that its any different than hunting over a pile of corn. IMO its not, but thats just my opinion & its worth what you paid for it. :wink:
I will state that I was very fortunate to get that buck this year. It is quite a bit larger than any buck that has been killed on that piece of property which has been in the family since the early 60s, and yes it is an agricutural field. However, I think you have misinterputed my comments. I have no issue with anyone and how or where they choose to hunt. That is totally thier buisness, NOT MINE! To me hunting is a personal thing, what is right for me may or may not be right for you!

My statement was focused more on COMMERCIALIZATION! I have 2 daughters, one of them is in college. The bulk of my money goes towards taking care of my family with little left for me to play with. It kills me to spend money on hunting. I get my hunting license and a deer tag and go hunting. Most of my time I hunt public ground because typically I am too cheap to pay the gas money to drive 4 hrs to the location of the family owned land that you see in the picture, and I dang sure wont pay the high cost of a deer lease. When I go deer hunting, I feel extremely guilty if I have to spend more than $100 to get one harvested, but hey, who knows, one day when I have extra money laying around, who knows how I might decide to spend it.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

One deer with bp. Carried it out on my shoulders. Stalking. Oneshot. Will be out for late season bp. Two more tags I can fill. Congrats to all that get out and find success in their own way.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

RJOHNS, thats the way to do it! I have a Lyman GPR that unfortunately all I have managed to do with it is burn powder and put holes in paper. Hopefully that will be my next hunting accomplishment! Kansas does tend to cripple me a bit though, our Muzzleloading season is in SEPT and typically the temps frequently are still in the 80s and 90s.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The definition of "hunt" has changed in the dictionaries over the years. It now includes "to pursue and kill for sport or food"; "(verb) chase, pursue or shoot"; "(noun) chase, search, shoot, quest". Also, "to seek or search for game for the purpose of catching or killing". The Government defines "hunt" or "hunting" for the purposes of law as: "Any intentional effort or attempt to kill an animal or animals with a projectile firing implement, or hand thrust implement or assisted by other trained animals (ie: dogs or hawks), (for purposes of law this description includes illegal methods and means; does not include trapping, poisoning, capturing, netting or fishing practices)".

From some of these "purist" posts I guess if I put a piece of live bait on a barbed hook and throw it in a lake from shore I am not fishing nor am I a "real" fisherman.

These tit-for-tat standpoints are unneccessary and uncalled for. It is one of the few things that divides hunters (and gun owners) and we absolutely do not need nor can we afford that. If you are legally trying to kill game animals then you are hunting.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

86er wrote:The definition of "hunt" has changed in the dictionaries over the years. It now includes "to pursue and kill for sport or food"; "(verb) chase, pursue or shoot"; "(noun) chase, search, shoot, quest". Also, "to seek or search for game for the purpose of catching or killing". The Government defines "hunt" or "hunting" for the purposes of law as: "Any intentional effort or attempt to kill an animal or animals with a projectile firing implement, or hand thrust implement or assisted by other trained animals (ie: dogs or hawks), (for purposes of law this description includes illegal methods and means; does not include trapping, poisoning, capturing, netting or fishing practices)".

From some of these "purist" posts I guess if I put a piece of live bait on a barbed hook and throw it in a lake from shore I am not fishing nor am I a "real" fisherman.

These tit-for-tat standpoints are unneccessary and uncalled for. It is one of the few things that divides hunters (and gun owners) and we absolutely do not need nor can we afford that. If you are legally trying to kill game animals then you are hunting.
Second great post made on this thread by 86er. Pretty much sums up exactly what I wanted to say but in a much more diplomatic way than I would of. Kudos.

LK