I have my first jug of trail boss on the way

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

I have my first jug of trail boss on the way

Post by foxtrapper »

I have been reading too long here members using trail boss for reduced big bore loads ,having good accuracy and extended range time 8) I am jumping in! Do I have this right? Always fill case to bottom of seated bullet, no air space in case and no compression . Gonna use it for 45/70,50ak rifles and the 50cal revolvers. Standard primers or mags? :D
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I have my first jug of trail boss on the way

Post by Ray Newman »

Trail Boss is primarily a pistol powder designed for low velocity lead bullets that has some rifle applications.

I load it for my .45 Colt and .38-40 pistols mainly because the reloader can not double charge the case without the powder spilling over. Once saw a .45 Colt SAA that was destroyed form a double charge and it left a lasting impression on me.

Never reloaded it in my .45 - 70’s as with the bullets I shoot (500 + grains), the velocity at the muzzle is very anemic. I will not load it for my or my .45-2.4” and .45-2 7/8” as there is just too much air space in the case. Even though IMR claims that Trail Boss can be loaded in large cases, I really don’t like filling up such large case with pistol powder.

Check the IMR on-line reloading manual for what you want to do and can do: http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Reduced loads:
http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Foxtrapper: check your private messages.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have used it with success in the following:
45-70 with 405gr cast
44-40 with 205gr cast
357Mag with 158gr cast
444 with 240gr cast and 205gr cast
44Mag with 240gr cast
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Filled to the base of the seated bullet (no compression ) is the
MAX load! Hogdens suggests a starting load of 70% of that.

I find a 70% load as being just great with super accuracy in every rifle cartridge I have shot it in.
.45-70 , .444 , .50-95 , .30-30 , .308MX , .35 Rem. , .32 WS
All using cast bullets of normal weight.

Have fun, be safe!! :wink:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

a starting load of 70% of that

I went slightly above the 70% and was near the book maximum for 30-30, and there was still some air space.

Good accuracy and feel but I had problems with it clumping in the funnel. Some loads were short because of a clump and the next one runneth over.

Plus it stuck to everything. You can have it.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

El Chivo , It flows just great for me. I have loaded thousands of rounds for CAS and several hundred for rifle without a single clump or jam of the powder measure.
The grains (flakes ) are rather large. Is your funnel tiny???
Static electricity??? :?
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Trail Boss meters very smoothly and uniformly in my Dillon as well as my Belding and Mull.

However, I did need to open up the plastic powder funnel with successively larger diameter drill bits so it would not hang up in the funnel.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.