Old Weaver V9

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Old Weaver V9

Post by 6pt-sika »

A customer had us order him a new Redfield 4-12 the other day to put on his son's Savage 10 something or other . And when he came in he brough and old Springfield he wanted to put his son's old scope on . On the old Springfield he had a late 60's early 70's Weaver V9 . And he wanted to sell it to recoup a little of his layout .

So me being the understanding fellow I am , gave him $50 for the scope and an older set of Refield rings .

This one will most likely go on my circa 2001 Marlin 444 :wink:

I looked thru the scope before I bought it and it looked clear but needing a good lense cleaning . After I got it I removed the rings and took 000 steel wool and Hoppes and cleaned the metal . Then a Leupold LensPen and cleaned the lenses . Thing is crystal clear with a slight ring mark on the tube !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
1894c

Re: Old Weaver V9

Post by 1894c »

Great find--I really like the older Weaver scopes too--LUCKY... :)
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Good buy! I have a Weaver V7 and K3; great scopes. I wouldn't sell either of them for $50.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Probably better glass than what he has on there now. :mrgreen:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

alnitak wrote:Good buy! I have a Weaver V7 and K3; great scopes. I wouldn't sell either of them for $50.
I have something like 20 of the older Weaver K2.5's and K3's . I think the average price I paid for the bunch was maybe $50-60 . Got a Weaver V7 on the 375 H&H MAG Ruger #1H I gave my dad for Xmas this year as well !
The V7 came on my Marlin 1895 45-70 that was made in 1972 and now I've got a K3 on the 45-70 .
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Nice...I'm thinking of trading the V7 for a V7-wide (if I can find one). Ever come across them?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

alnitak wrote:Nice...I'm thinking of trading the V7 for a V7-wide (if I can find one). Ever come across them?
Yeah I have one of the Weaver V7-W's as well . Someone gave it to me , it was on an SKS of all things . Looked as if the empty cases from the SKS had wacked the scope every time . Anyway I put it on my circa 2001 444 and shopt some 400 grainers thru it . Gun was shooting really well and then the focus went to shite . After that it wouldn't hold POA . So I took off that one and put a new Redfield Revolution 3-9 and it's been fine with m heavy hitter loads .

Really I cannot decide whether to put the V9 on the 2001 444 or put it on top of my Browning B-78 25-06 so I can free up the Redfield 8-18AO Traditional :!:
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I can't find much info on them, are they variable and/or AO?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

awp101 wrote:I can't find much info on them, are they variable and/or AO?

You can't find any info ?????

To answer you ; yes and yes :wink:
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Post by afish4570 »

Took my old Weaver V7 off my 06 10 yrs. ago and checked the new Weaver Co. (Japan) to see if they honored the lifetime warranty......No....Still held onto it in case I can find some to repair it at a price that makes it worthwhile. Also have a K2.5 or 3 awaiting the same miracle. Great scopes that were very affordable 40 or more yrs. ago. Eventually they all lost clarity and or fogged up. The V7 has something rattling around inside but still performed ok.afish4570 :idea: :idea:
afish4570
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

afish4570 wrote:Took my old Weaver V7 off my 06 10 yrs. ago and checked the new Weaver Co. (Japan) to see if they honored the lifetime warranty......No....Still held onto it in case I can find some to repair it at a price that makes it worthwhile. Also have a K2.5 or 3 awaiting the same miracle. Great scopes that were very affordable 40 or more yrs. ago. Eventually they all lost clarity and or fogged up. The V7 has something rattling around inside but still performed ok.afish4570 :idea: :idea:
There are three companies that'll refurbish them .

http://lkscoperepair.webs.com/

http://www.ironsightinc.com/

http://www.abousainc.com/index.htm
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Heck I've got three or four of the old Weaver KV variable that was a 2 1/2-5 power scope as well as 2 or 3 of the almost as old Weaver V8 ( that was a 2-8 power scope). The KV was made 1950-1964 and the V8 was made in 65 and 66 . The V8 had external adjustments in the rear scope ring . I've used a couple of the V8's to kill deer this season on a couple 444's and used one or two of the KV's as wellon 444's this season !

I was out this afternoon with a Marlin 444 that was made in 1972 and on top the rifle I had a Weaver K4 that was made most likely in the mid to late 50's !
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

6pt-sika wrote:
awp101 wrote:I can't find much info on them, are they variable and/or AO?

You can't find any info ?????

To answer you ; yes and yes :wink:
I didn't say "any", I said "much"! :lol: Most of what I found in a quick search were auction related with so-so pics so I wasn't sure. Thanks! :mrgreen:

There's a V8 mounted on my SC 03A3 sporter. That's half of what sold me on it. :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at