Montana Elk 2012

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Montana Elk 2012

Post by 6pt-sika »

Looks like 3 of us here in Virginia are going to try and get cow elk tags for 2012 in Montana in one of the ares around Dillon . If we get them I think I'll see if I can get an over the counter mulie doe tag as well !

I believe I'll take one of my Marlin First Model 444's and get it shooting well with the Ranch Dog 432-300GC and more then likely H322 or IMR8208 . Then I wanna see what I need to set the POI at , at 100 yards so I'm no more then 5 inches low at 200 yards .

Think I'll also move and older Weaver V7 I have from the 375 H&H MAG to whichever 444 I choose .

Me being me and since we'll drive out I'll have to take a backup gun as well . I suspect a Ruger #1B in 264 WIN MAG will tag along . Never used a 140 grain bullet in the 264 WIN MAG . But I'm thinking a 140 Partiton might be good in this application if I should need the 264 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Montana Elk 2012

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Two guns seem a bit light for you. :wink:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Two guns seem a bit light for you. :wink:

No for what I was told to expect this is gonna be more like walk a couple hundred yards peep over the hill and pop the elk and based on what I was told the mulie doe shouldn't be any more difficult . Plus I wanna pop the pair with the Ranch Dog 432-300GC anyway . Just can't decide whether I wanna take and untouched 444 or my Retro 444P with the 19" barrel :lol:

I suspect one of the longer barreled ones will look better with the old Weaver V7 then the Retro 444P will !

Incidently I've decided to take the Retro 444P hunting all day tommorrow for the closer of the Virginia deer season !
This gun has already taken 3 whitetail does with the Castboolits group buy 434-207GC before I chopped the barrel , and a smallish black bear this year shooting the LBT 433-340GC after the barrel was chopped . Now I'm gonna try it tommorrow for hopefully a change of luck with the MM/RD 432-325GC ! Be kinda cool to kill one or two the final day !
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

I don't know about mule deer doe tags near Dillon, but they're usually much harder to come by than are white-tail doe tags. Maybe you know something that I don't. :)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Batman1939 wrote:I don't know about mule deer doe tags near Dillon, but they're usually much harder to come by than are white-tail doe tags. Maybe you know something that I don't. :)
Just going by what my retired sheriff friend tells me !

He has a piece of property and goes to that area each year for about 4 or 5 months !

Just going by what he said .
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

6pt-sika wrote:Loo I'll have to take a backup gun as well . I suspect a Ruger #1B in 264 WIN MAG will tag along . Never used a 140 grain bullet in the 264 WIN MAG . But I'm thinking a 140 Partiton might be good in this application if I should need the 264 .
Ah c'mon. With all those 444's I think you NEED a 444 as a backup and perhaps another 444 to back THAT ONE up! :mrgreen:

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

2X22 wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:Loo I'll have to take a backup gun as well . I suspect a Ruger #1B in 264 WIN MAG will tag along . Never used a 140 grain bullet in the 264 WIN MAG . But I'm thinking a 140 Partiton might be good in this application if I should need the 264 .
Ah c'mon. With all those 444's I think you NEED a 444 as a backup and perhaps another 444 to back THAT ONE up! :mrgreen:

Three guys traveling in one Crew Cab pickup without a camper shell does not leave room for more then two rifles !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If we get tags I can't decide at the moment between this one with the 19" barrel .

Or one like this with a 24" pipe !

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

You know I've been wanting to try VV N-130 in the 444's with cast bullets I just may very well get some of that (finally) and use it instead . Well that is if the choosen rifle likes it anyway !
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good luck on your hunt. I'd take the one with the longer tube.
Old Law Dawg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

kimwcook wrote:Good luck on your hunt. I'd take the one with the longer tube.

I was told that shots would be about 100 yards max !

But we all know how they say one thing and something else happens !
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

The long tube will make both of those shots easily. :D But, you use a scope and the difference in barrel lengths won't matter if they're both accurate. A shorter one might be a bit more handy. Me, I'd still take the long one.
Old Law Dawg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

kimwcook wrote:The long tube will make both of those shots easily. :D But, you use a scope and the difference in barrel lengths won't matter if they're both accurate. A shorter one might be a bit more handy. Me, I'd still take the long one.
I know alotta folks won't believe this .

But ......................................

Most all of my old 444's will shoot them same loads equally well !

Now by well I mean three in 1 1/2" at 100 yards . Some do better with some loads of course then others but as a general rule what works in one works in the rest .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

"If" the short barreled one goes it'll be wearing that Weaver K3 thats on it now !

I just don't like longer tube scopes on short barreled lever actions .