50 AK in trailboss

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

50 AK in trailboss

Post by foxtrapper »

So can it be used in the 50ak. I checked their website and there is no trailboss listed for the cartridge. Fill the case to bottom of bullet gtg?
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 50 AK in trailboss

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Probably fine. What bullet and OAL are you using? Barrel at 22"?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Trailboss is a relatively fast, low-density, and fairly expensive powder, for moderate pressures, at maximum loading density, particularly in the .45 Colt (and other CAS cartridges) to achieve uniform, moderate velocity, with no danger of double-charging the big cases..
And we want to use it in the .50AK, for what...?

I know it has been used in .45-70 loads, where it gives OK results, but it seems like goin' the long way around the barn, to me.. But then, I'm the guy who loads .45 Colt with H-4198, for reasons to do with the locking system of the Uberti Model '73 Winchester clone...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Well, if you top it off with the 450 grain Barnes FNSP and load to 2.30" OAL, I show you'll have room for 18.4 grains of TrailBoss for a 100% capacity load. This is estimated in QuickLoad to peak at 26.8kpsi and leave a 22" barrel at 1150fps. Brass length was 2.10" having 97 grains of water capacity.

Probably a wee bit expensive for a plinking load. :wink:
50AK-TrailBoss-450FNSP.JPG
Probably cheaper with a 300 grain FNSP. Using the same case and OAL as above, I show 22.5 grains of TrailBoss gives 100% case fill with a peak pressure of 25kpsi and leaving the 22" barrel at 1500fps.
50AK-TrailBoss-300FNSP.JPG
I'm not sure I have a lead 300 grain bullet in the 50-110 style handy for simulation.

YMMV.

As Buck says, what's the point here? Maybe BP velocities with a full case to avoid fillers or such?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Their rule of thumb is start with 70% of available space and go up from there. I think my best 30-30 load was about 90% of capacity, at any rate it was just under the published max.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Thanks for the replies :D I bought the trailboss mainly for loading the 50 cal handgun rounds -510 gnr ,500 Linebaugh . I was looking for lighter loads using cast to punch paper and make the range sessions last a little longer . That got me thinking about the 50ak I have in a Marlin 1895 with a braked 18 1/2" barrel. Lower pressure using the same 375 gr mountain mold as the 510 gnr would make me able to shoot without the "Past" recoil pad 8) . Again this is just for range fun. I have the 50ak hunt ready with Benchmark and 525 cast performance slugs.