A New Mossberg Levergun Actually Worth Considering

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

A New Mossberg Levergun Actually Worth Considering

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Re: A New Mossberg Levergun Actually Worth Considering

Post by OJ »

I am totally unforgiving of a gun manufacturer who sells me a gun so defective it won't even get through the first three shots without a parts failure - and, when I complain - absolutely ignores my complaint - and all expenses of the fix were put on me.

Subsequently, a second part broke (forend screw) before even one shot was fired and Mossberg insisted I send it back - at my expense - for repair - I finally convinced them I had a screwdriver and knew how to use it - they finally agreed to just ship me a screw which couldn't be replaced by any local gun dealer. Cost of the long distance call was mine.

Hell would freeze over before I would consider buying any of that company"s products again.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Maybe sanity will prevail, on one side of the workbench, anyway... I hope they have solved some of the quality problems they experienced..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think Mossberg used "Marinecoat" on their "Mariner" shotguns - mine held up ok, but I never took it out on the yacht, since my yacht is only 16 ft long, and with the paddles and life preservers and such, there's just not much room for a shotgun... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

OJ wrote:I am totally unforgiving of a gun manufacturer who sells me a gun so defective it won't even get through the first three shots without a parts failure - and, when I complain - absolutely ignores my complaint - and all expenses of the fix were put on me.

Subsequently, a second part broke (forend screw) before even one shot was fired and Mossberg insisted I send it back - at my expense - for repair - I finally convinced them I had a screwdriver and knew how to use it - they finally agreed to just ship me a screw which couldn't be replaced by any local gun dealer. Cost of the long distance call was mine.

Hell would freeze over before I would consider buying any of that company"s products again.
I remember OJ's reports about the Mossberg 464 when it first appeared on the market. Seemed pretty up-front reporting from an everyday gun nut (not a gun rag writer). I crossed the 464 off my list because of OJ's report, hoping the manufacturing would improve, but I haven't read any updated accounts, yet...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think we've only ever sold one since I started at the shop in Dec 08 and that one might have come back to go back to the factory.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

AJMD429 wrote:I think Mossberg used "Marinecoat" on their "Mariner" shotguns - mine held up ok, but I never took it out on the yacht, since my yacht is only 16 ft long, and with the paddles and life preservers and such, there's just not much room for a shotgun... :D
I would worry that the front sight might snag on the hull of my yacht and let all the air out! :oops:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I guess time will tell if Mossberg has the kinks worked out or not. Still, I must admit that I like the look of them.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

COSteve wrote:I guess time will tell if Mossberg has the kinks worked out or not. Still, I must admit that I like the look of them.

Me too --- they released a laminate stock version with a 16" barrel that i went bananas over (in pictures) but i still haven't seen one at my LGS (local gun shop) --- maybe it was a Davidson's special or something.
For the low price, i would probably roll the dice on it , as i like the Winchester style profile, but could not bear the thought of Cerama coating a real Winchester Trapper :shock:
----- Doug
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

mikld wrote:
OJ wrote:I am totally unforgiving of a gun manufacturer who sells me a gun so defective it won't even get through the first three shots without a parts failure - and, when I complain - absolutely ignores my complaint - and all expenses of the fix were put on me.

I remember OJ's reports about the Mossberg 464 when it first appeared on the market. Seemed pretty up-front reporting from an everyday gun nut (not a gun rag writer). I crossed the 464 off my list because of OJ's report, hoping the manufacturing would improve, but I haven't read any updated accounts, yet...
I appreciate your support - I was somewhat less concerned about the defective part itself than the attitude Mossberg exhibited - so many reports of defective parts showing up before the first magazine full of six were shot - no only did that company turn a cold shoulder and not accept any responsibility for the inconvenience and what those failures cost the customer but, in my mind, it raised the question of whether they did any test firing at all - casting suspicion they weren't concerned for the safety of customers using their product.

Seems like the problem would have been diagnosed if they had done any test firing since so many of us found it in the first 1 - 3 rounds fired. I would think there should be laws or standards requiring such - except, I've never had anything close to this from any other gun manufacturer and maybe it's never been necessary before now. Look at what Ruger did for the P85 when it came out and how they just replaced them all with the defect fixed - and renamed it the P89.

I'm sure not buying any guns from a company that exhibited no evident concern for - not only the inconvenience - but the safety of customers.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Marine coat is a powder coat with appearance of stainless steel.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

COSteve wrote:I guess time will tell if Mossberg has the kinks worked out or not. Still, I must admit that I like the look of them.
I'd prefer the straight stock instead of the pistol grip.

I need to start reading better range reports before I'd lay my money down on one.

If they spent as much on quality control as they do the silly safety nonsense they'd probably make a better product.

It sounds like Mossberg customer service sucks too.

I have no use for companies that make bad products and then won't fix them........denotes a certain LACK OF INTEGRITY.

I'll pass.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

AJMD429 wrote:I think Mossberg used "Marinecoat" on their "Mariner" shotguns - mine held up ok, but I never took it out on the yacht, since my yacht is only 16 ft long, and with the paddles and life preservers and such, there's just not much room for a shotgun... :D
Remember Mossberg shotguns can also be used as canoe paddles and still shoot great, so they are at home in any duck boat.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

I have a 3 year old 464 with the pistol grip and walnut package 41020, Been used, but since I gotten this one, I haven't shot it yet. It seems like its pretty smooth action, has angle ejection sorta like the 94 has.
My comments on it so far are... After getting this, I have a few things I am not use to of. 1. the dang safety is way to LOUD, the hammer flops around, No first catch on that floaten hammer... Hate that, seems it would be more dangerouse to me if I forgets to put the safety back on.
What parts are defective?

OK, nuff questions SnR
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

If they would make the blued pistol grip version in .45-70 I'd volunteer to be the guinea pig and give it a try, but they refuse to issue anything but .30-30s and a .22 so far.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Too bad they didn't bring their old 472 series back. I haven't shot mine alot but from the few times that I have it seems to be accurate enough; 3-4" at 100 yards. Looks similar to Marlin 336 but trigger moves with lever (like BLR) and has a safety on left side of receiver.

I would buy another if it was priced "right".