1894 marlin in 480 ruger

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

1894 marlin in 480 ruger

Post by foxtrapper »

The thread below asking about a 454 in a 1894 rightly states too much pressure for the action. Then questions of how about a 50 something or a 475 Linebaugh or 480ruger. Here's a 480 :D Marlin 1894 .480 Ruger: With several modification the 1894 can be converted to fire the .480 Ruger. Feeding, accuracy, and sheer power are all excellent. Expect the cartridge to gain about 100 fps or more than published velocities for a handgun.
Specs:
Heavy contour Pac-Nor match grade barrel 18" long especially designed for this conversion with full length mag tube
Custom made brass magazine follower
HD forearm hangar
1" Limbsaver pad
Glassbedded stock
Forearm hangar and mag tube stud permanetly attached to barrel
9 rd. mag capacity
Action job with crisp trigger 3- 3 1/2#
Bolt face opened to match cartridge and all necessary modifications done to feed and chamber the .480
Your choice of XS, Lyman, or Williams rear sights
Custom made soldered on front sight base with your choice of blade
Matte blue finish
$1650 on your 1894 Marlin
Stainless guns done at same cost with beadblasted finish 
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: 1894 marlin in 480 ruger

Post by Griff »

foxtrapper wrote:...$1650 on your 1894 Marlin...
WHY? When a 45-70 1886 can be had and do so much more. AND, I still have my 1894 Marlin for "light" work! Pushing the limits of the gun's design is all well & good, pushing MY limits is abusive; and to be blunt... I''ve outgrown it. As I told a friend why I quit ropin', "I've reached 50 years of age, still got both thumbs, I think I'll quit while I'm ahead." :P

I'd be willing to bet, dollars to donuts, that most of said conversions will be shot LESS than a boxfull and then reloaded with something along the lines of a 45 Colt!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Griff when you compare the two actions ,the 1886 big robust and 1894, nuff said. The 480 in the smaller action using a pistol cartridge, that is efficient with a short barrel has a place. Let's not talk need 8) Good news about your thumbs, would not able to cock the hammer on yer levers without em :D
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Are those YOUR specs or is someone acyually doing this? Whats the pressure on a .480?
You can put as fat a barrel as you want on a 94, BUT, youll need to cut away the bottom of it for the mag tube & the barrel will be fatter than the reciever and the threaded shank, which houses most of the chamber, will still be to spec. All that aside when Buck did his testing on a 336 it was the locking mechanism that took a beating & stopped going into battery. I'd imagine with its open side a 94 would get bent quicker.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Thought the smith info was in the text I pasted,oops. Smith is David Clements. Clements customguns.com. The conversions are available as we speak.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

foxtrapper wrote:Griff when you compare the two actions ,the 1886 big robust and 1894, nuff said. The 480 in the smaller action using a pistol cartridge, that is efficient with a short barrel has a place. Let's not talk need 8) Good news about your thumbs, would not able to cock the hammer on yer levers without em :D
The hammers on my levers get cocked by the bolt... it's the SA revolvers that were at risk! :P And no, I didn't mention need... I simply don't believe the 1894 Marlin is strong enough to handle a steady diet of 480Rugers. You're taking a carttridge that's only .001" smaller than the .45-70 and stuffin' it into a smaller package? No, thanks. What Leverdude said.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The .480 Ruger is a 48,000 psi cartridge, and should be safely "do-able" in a Marlin 94, with some careful action work.. The square threads on the Marlin barrel (and inside the receiver) are not a real concern, at that pressure, and indeed, held up to the .454 and .500 torture tests.. How long that might have been the case is still unexplored, as the receivers and locking mechanisms Failed, which precluded further testing..

The rifle I built could be easily configured for the .480, .475 Linebaugh, .475 Maximum, .500 Linebaugh (and Maximum) and the .500 S&W, which did not exist at the time...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...