Base Pin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Base Pin

Post by Mutt »

Tired of having a tough time pulling the BASE PIN ON MY SINGLE ACTION PISTOLS

Ordered a tool from Brownells today for that purpose .Costly but if it keeps from scratching a 1200 dollar gun , $28 piece of spring steel is well worth it. Did not know until today such an instrument existed . Shoulld be here in about 10 days . Hope it works as advertised .........

...........................MUTT
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: Base Pin

Post by Buck Elliott »

I bought one years ago.. Mine is a rod with a puller machined into each end of it.. One end for Colts, &c., the other end for Rugers.. It has saved a lot of effort and frustration over time, not to mention being easier on the guns than most other methods..

The tool is 5" long, over-all, and 5/8" diameter, made of Hardened steel. There is a flat section about 1 1/4" long milled into each end, with a proper-sized notch cut into the tip. The tip is beveled to give good access to the steps or collar on the basepin..

Most Colts don't have a basepin problem, but a lot of Rugers and older Italian SAs have basepin bores in the frame that don't line up exactly.. Sometimes, the holes were reamed a bit, or a slightly under-sized pin was used, to make everything fit, at assembly.. Cylinder slop was the unhappy result of such match-ups..

When I worked at Freedom Arms, i would line-hone the basepin bores in the frames, even though they had been line-bored to begin with.. A double-shoe arbor in a Sunnen Hone did the trick, and dimensions were held within 0.0001" diameter. It was a highly skilled job, requiring a steady hand, and a good eye, and great concentration.. The results were worth the effort.. Cylinder basepin bores were similarly honed, on a long-shoe arbor. I am not aware of any other manufacturer that takes the time to do that kind of work. Basepins themselves were run on a centerless grinder, to the same tolerance...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I had one of the pullers from Brownells. It worked great. Let a friend talk me out of it at the last Wanamacher show. Now I have to order another or try my hand at making one. I think Eddie Janis sells them too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I guess I've been lucky. I've only had base pin problems when I've caused them by slipping the collared pin in out of alignment and with my OM Ruger .357. That one was fixed by reducing the end shake on the cylinder.
The rest, my Ubertis and other Rugers don't seem to care how dirty they are, they come right out.

Buck,
Could you describe how a centerless grinder worlds for machine challenged persons such as me?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:Buck,
Could you describe how a centerless grinder worlds for machine challenged persons such as me?
Gosh, Joe, everyone knows that. I can't believe you have to ask...

I'd tell you myself, but, er... well right now I'm kind of busy, and besides, I know Buck would like to tell you himself... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Guess I've been double-lucky.
The only time I've ever had a sticky basepin in any SA was a USFA Rodeo. Nice gun otherwise, but I had to take it to my gunsmith to get the pin out. After which he had to fabricate a new one to replace it.
New pin comes out easily.
Denis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:I guess I've been lucky...
Buck,
Joe
AJMD429 wrote:Gosh, Joe, everyone knows that. I can't believe you have to ask...
I'd tell you myself, but, er... well right now I'm kind of busy, and besides, I know Buck would like to tell you himself... :wink:
+1
Ok, so both ME & Joe are the only ones that don't know. :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Base Pin Maker
Levergunner

Post by Base Pin Maker »

Mutt, check for burrs at the notch, sometimes a burr is kicked up by firing, and can be polished a bit and makes it easier to get the pin out. Kelye
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Well, I've got Kelye's base pins in both my Colt SAA's and they're tight. I actually had to spin the pins in a drill press and take some material off to get them to go in and out without super effort. I do need to pickup one of those tools though. Sometimes if I'm not real careful I can get'em stuck and then it's a real pain.
Old Law Dawg
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Simply put, a centerless grinder consists of two opposing, rotating wheels.. The Grinding wheel turns on a fixed axis, while the other, the Pressure wheel is on a movable axis, to allow for adjustment of the Part diameter. The pressure wheel axis can also be rotated, to facilitate auto feeding of parts through the machine. The part to be ground is placed between the wheels, and rests on a Blade, or support, and is held in place at three points: by the two wheels and the support blade... The part is rotated by the wheels, and a minute anount of material is removed by the grinding wheel. Cylindrical or grooved parts can be fed into one end of the machine and dropped out the other, by angling the axis of the pressure wheel, as stated above... To grind something like a base pin, with an enlarged head profile, the axes of the wheels are kept parallel, wiith the head or first step of the pin acting as a locater against the end of the support blade.. It is possible to achieve very tight dimensional control by this method, as there is virtually no deflection of the part (pin) away from tool (grinding wheel) pressure, because of the 3-way support.

Hope this helps...
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Thanks Buck, it does.

Just for the record, I have a Belt Mountain over sized Colt base pin in my Uberti Cattleman. It might have been over sized for a Colt but it was a real nice fit in the Uberti.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have had lots of tight base pins. I just take a piece of brass rod and file one end so it will get a bite on the pin and tape the other end with a small hammer. It has always worked for me.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Even the tip of a small screwdriver will work, if you're very careful.. But I still recommend Brownell's pin puller..

I have some Belt Mtn base pins for my old Vaqueros, and they fit perfectly.. They even have the Colt-style heads, which are a lot better looking than the OEM pins.... I think I'm the one who talked Kellye into making them...
Regards

Buck

rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I have this problem with my taylor smokewagon .357 magnum sa. I posted this a while back when i first joined this forum.Some advice from several other members told me to soak the pin and cylinder for a while with a cleaning agent. Was told they made a pin puller just as you described here.. I just happened to have a pair of pliers that are notched in the teeth of the jaws. Just cover with a rag and give a straight pull and it pops right out. Just do what works best for you. I don't shoot very much, but hopefully, over time with more shooting and cleaning, the wear factor will make it easier to remove in the future.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

rossim92 wrote:I don't shoot very much, but hopefully, over time with more shooting and cleaning, the wear factor will make it easier to remove in the future.
Not in my experience or not enough I can tell the difference.
Old Law Dawg
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

My base pin comes right on out with thumb and forefinger after loosening the torx head hold screw, but there's no cylinder play at all. Fitted by Ten Ring Precision in San Antonio, Texas.

rimrock
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I learned 2 things in one thread! YES!

Made my day - thanks for the info.

Chad