loc-tite or elbow grease?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

loc-tite or elbow grease?

Post by chadbr »

Should I use loc-tite on my cylinder release? Or just torque it down?
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: loc-tite or elbow grease?

Post by adirondakjack »

The weakest version would be OK, as would a tiny dot of enamel model paint applied to one side of the threads with a tooth pick. It need not be tight. It just needs not to get loose unless and definitely when you want it to.

Another option is blue silicone form-a-gasket on the threads. It won't back out. (I used that on model airplane engines that vibrated screws out readily. Worked and never had a disassembly issue later.)
Certified gun nut
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

+1 to Blue Loctite or model paint.

or a tiny dab of nail polish will work OK, and still allow easy future disassembly if desired.

Cheers,

Carl
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Get your girl's fingernail polish on them threads and tighten finger tight.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I blue Loctite mine. Cylinder release and the extractor rod.

I hate it when those things work loose.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Blue locktite, love that stuff. :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I've never saw a need to loc-tite them, but blue loc-tite wouldn't hurt a thing.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

JB wrote:I've never saw a need to loc-tite them, but blue loc-tite wouldn't hurt a thing.
Yea - it's the 1st time it's ever come lose shooting... almost lost the screw!

Just want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Blue loctite it is.

Thanks guys.
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

chadbr wrote:
JB wrote:I've never saw a need to loc-tite them, but blue loc-tite wouldn't hurt a thing.
Yea - it's the 1st time it's ever come lose shooting... almost lost the screw!

Just want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Blue loctite it is.

Thanks guys.
It's not a screw, it's a nut. There is no reason to use Loc-Tite on most gun screws, just tighten them. For some reason most people are afraid to tighten screws, just want to snug them down gently. This isn't enough, and with screwdrivers with appropriate sized handles it is difficult to harm the screw. Guns shake screws loose, it's a fact of life, but people only seem to be concerned with S&W revolvers for some reason. It's like everyone thinks there is something wrong with the gun if screws loosen. Whatever you do, don't shoot a Ruger or Colt single-action, these need to be tightened constantly. If you keep shooting one of these with loose screws you can break screws!

Try this instead of Loc-Tite. Carry an appropriate screwdriver when you are shooting. If a screw comes loose tighten it. If it comes loose again, tighten it a little more. Keep going until it doesn't come loose every time you shoot a few rounds. You do a lot more damage not adequately tightening a screw and having to repeatedly re-tighten it than if it was adequately tightened in the first place and didn't keep working loose.

If one screw is loose check all of them. When you clean your gun check for loose screws. There is no excuse for any fastener on a gun getting so loose it falls out and is lost, this is simple neglect.