.44-40 reloading tool

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Moonlitin
Levergunner

.44-40 reloading tool

Post by Moonlitin »

After much searching, I finally found a decent reloading tool in .44-40. We won't use this one to load any ammo, but I thought it would be a nice accessory to have for our 1873. Would anyone with knowledge about these tools share some information? Does anyone still use these?

http://home.comcast.net/~t.vandyke/pwpi ... 0_tool.jpg

Thanks

Moonlitin
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .44-40 reloading tool

Post by ollogger »

I use the old tool for my 1873 32-20 also use the bullet mold
the 3 came together when i bought, I use a Lee FCD the old tool
does not crimp

ollogger
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Why wouldn't you use it?
Click Click Boom
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

For anyone interested in old reloading tools, I highly recommend the paperback book "EARLY LOADING TOOLS and BULLET MOLDS" by R.H. Chamberlain, published in 1988. I have been priviledged for many years to be personally acquainted with him, and although he is getting well on in years, he maintains his interest in all things firearm-related.

Per the mentioned book, of all reloading tools made by arms manufacturers, Winchester tools are the most numerous. Along with Ideal, they account for more than 90% of the old tools found today.

Yours appears to be what is referred to in the book as the fifth type Winchester reloading tool, which they referred to as "The Lever Tool", patented October 20, 1874 & November 7, 1882 and was the one manufactured over the longest period of time. It was offered for sale from 1882 up through 1914, after which Winchester no longer sold tools and molds. It would originally have been accompanied by a single cavity wooden-handled bullet mold, a decapping pin, and a small brass powder charge cup.

Almost all Winchester tools were of the non-adjustable type, designed to use one bullet shape and weight and seat it at a fixed depth with a uniform crimp, although some did not have the crimp feature.

Modern reloading tools have greatly speeded up the reloading process and these old tools have been relegated to just novel collector items. Still, they will indeed do the job of reloading a cartridge for those with plenty of time to do so.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Yes. Neat old hand loading tool. Always thought the Lyman 310 was a better -- more versatile -- tool if one wanted to hand load in a more period correct fashion:

http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Moonlitin,
Nice tool for the 1873. Fortunately, I have one and it produces fine black powder ammunition. The tool originally came with a decapping pin and powder scoop for black powder.

It will not work for loading most smokeless since it is intended to load as fired cases since it does not size the case. The one exception would be a capacity load of RL7 which would support the base of the bullet. Of course cases could be resized in a standard die and then the bullets could be seated in the Winchester tool.

One other thing. The primer seating stem is sized for small rifle primers which were used in 44 WCF cases up until 1930 after which the primer size changed to large pistol. I do have some of those early cases and have used the tool to prime them. I have not tried to seat large pistol primers though. It may work ok.......

ollogger,
Thankfully, the tool I have does crimp the case, otherwise the bullet would not stay in place in the as fired case.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I have a number of 310 and old ideal tools in various calibers and have done a lot of reloading with them. I reloaded a box of 38 S and W at camp on time making the bullets in an Ideal fire ring on the wood stove in the camp. I think I did an article for the shootist on it. The ammo isn't resized in most of the old Winchester and Ideal tools but is just held in by the crimp and therefore can not be changed from gun to gun. For sizing you had to have a seperate pound in pound out die.