Call me crazy, but...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Call me crazy, but...

Post by Mike D. »

...there was a nicely redone 1886 on GB this morning and I just had to do it. The gun was originally a FM .33 W.C.F., but has been rebored and rechambered to .40-82 W.C.F. Since my plan was to do exactly that with one of my parts guns I thought, what the heck. The price was right so I stabbed the BIN button and it's a done deal. :)

GB #273867262
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Re: Call me crazy, but...

Post by stew71 »

Okay. You're crazy.

Nah. Since when is buying a lever gun crazy?
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Congrats! :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

40-82's can be great shooters when bore diameters and chamber throats match up correctly. It will be interesting what you find those to be in your new rebore/rechambered rifle.

Keep us posted how she shoots and the components you use.

Good shooting.

A Winchester Collector
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

congrats :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .....
nice addition to your 86 collection!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Nice looking rifle, Mike!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I spoke to the seller by airline this morning and he will ship the rifle as soon as the PMOs arrive. Crazy PO won't sell a MO higher than $1000. You must pay for 2 of them to get the right amount. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Looks Good Mike. I like that seller "will ship to California".
On the PMO's, If You buy what I buy You don't have to worry about it. :arrow: :wink:
So do You still get to go Hunting ? What was the other Gun ? did You post it ?
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

pwl44m wrote:Looks Good Mike. I like that seller "will ship to California".
On the PMO's, If You buy what I buy You don't have to worry about it. :arrow: :wink:
So do You still get to go Hunting ? What was the other Gun ? did You post it ?
Perry
My huntin' partner isn't interested in going after geese, so that's not on the table for the weekend.
The seller seemed like a rally nice guy, most Mainers are. I'll start the load for that gun at 50 grains
IMR 3031 and a 260 grain jacketed bullet. That should be a "popper". A .40-82 with a NS barrel?
Oh boy!

I'm also buying 86ers CZ "Ringneck" 20 GA double. The info is in his post of last week, Perry.
I am probably at the point where some old guns will have to go, but can't decide which. Gotta
think on it for a while.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Good looking rifle Mike.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Mike D. wrote:
pwl44m wrote:.

The seller seemed like a rally nice guy, most Mainers are. .

Yknow, i've experienced that same thing while working with folks from Maine on the phone ! -- I really need to visit the far north east sometime ,

Anyway --- beautiful rifle - i hope it turns out as good in person as it looked in the pics! :D The case coloring didn't look very washed out at all after all these years
----- Doug
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Streetstar wrote:
Mike D. wrote:
pwl44m wrote:.

The seller seemed like a rally nice guy, most Mainers are. .

Yknow, i've experienced that same thing while working with folks from Maine on the phone ! -- I really need to visit the far north east sometime ,

Anyway --- beautiful rifle - i hope it turns out as good in person as it looked in the pics! :D The case coloring didn't look very washed out at all after all these years
Actually, all 1886s at the time that gun was manufactured had blued receivers, with only the lever and hammer cased. It is what it is, sort of a fantasy rifle, but a great job of one.
To my knowledge there are no known full magazine 24" barreled LW .40-82s. I know of one ELWTD in that caliber, but it has a 22" barrel. To actually own a LW '86 in that caliber
that was factory original would set you back too many $Gs to even consider. I'll take this one and be happy to use it as a tool, not a vault queen. :)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

stew71 wrote:Okay. You're crazy.

Nah. Since when is buying a lever gun crazy?
+1 ... :)
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That is a beautiful rifle and that case hardening is the real deal too. Nice buy.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Had you said you were buying this poor thing to fix it,http://www.ebay.com/itm/Winchester-Mode ... 2c630bac94, then I'd think maybe you were crazy as is I always admire the knowledge you bring here about the 1886.The hunting pictures too!
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Sorry KirkD...not the "real deal case hardening"...Mike stated the rifle has been redone....obviously!!
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice looking piece, Mike. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.
Old Law Dawg
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The gun arrived an hour ago. It is exactly as it was described and it should be a fine shooter. The barrel is dead on 24" original nickle steel, except for the caliber of course. My chances of finding an original .40-82 LW are somewhere between slim and none. Now, as soon as time allows I'll test out the rifle. :) ImageImage