Taurus 44 special

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Taurus 44 special

Post by Mescalero »

I think I can remember that Taurus at one time made an adjustable sight 3'' barrel double action revolver.
Does anyone else have that memory?
Spent too much time on gunbroker looking at 41 pages of guns, no luck.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Taurus 44 special

Post by edwardyoung »

I think it was a Model 441. I think the 431 was the fixed-sight version. I should have checked before posting, but I think I'm right.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thank you!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Looked it up, only found 4" samples.
I can live with that.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Mescalero wrote:I think I can remember that Taurus at one time made an adjustable sight 3'' barrel double action revolver.
Does anyone else have that memory?
Spent too much time on gunbroker looking at 41 pages of guns, no luck.

Rossi made one like that.... I have one Paco thought they were very good.
cable
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Looking for a 3" model for ya! (model 441)
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

http://www.armslist.com/posts/73597/wic ... er--44-spl

A blued one for $300.

I have had the 3", 4" and 6" and they were very nice revolvers.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Cool,
Looks like they are are out there.
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

Mescalero wrote:Cool,
Looks like they are are out there.
Don't count on that one being "out there" too long at that price.

Now you have me thinking about one again........... :wink:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I'm thinking I am going to need it after the mining thing gets going. That it will be successful is a foregone conclusion.
What gets into the minds of the great unwashed is not knoweable.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

441 adj.sights + 431 fixed sights = correct
I have a 431 very accurate and well made.Not many around,I had a hard time finding one.For that price I would jump on that one..........
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Look at the date on the ad.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Hey I called my buddy who owns his own well established gun shop.
I asked him about what you are looking for????????/
He said---------those 3" adjustable sighted Taurus 44 specials don't show up often and said honestly they do not compare with some of the better quality guns that can be had for almost the same cost.But even though there are few of those 3" specials really they will never be worth (a lot)because of the quality factor.

If I would have known you were looking for that type gun(similar)he had a early s/n mint SS S&W 696 (3" .44 special)
I could have got it for you for $450 (he's my buddy :lol: ) $50 over his cost!
Honestly other than what he told me(have no idea if that is a great price)??? but $450 for a high quality gun seems pretty cheap?
He said that gun will always hold/grow value and is 10X the weapon??????????????????????

Don't get me wrong---I like Taurus!
Just saying what (1)pro-dealer that knows guns said about 30mins ago :?:
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Is it still available?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sold last Saturday!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Any ideas?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've heard the stories, but I have four friends that have Tauri and would not have anything else....One (who is a forumite here) and carries in his profession, sings their praises. I've shot many of them....very nice. The .41 Mags are nice, especially with special loads. The 3" is a man-eater with mag loads.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am not recoil sensitive,
remember:
I shot .458 Winchester Mag. for 5 years in the tunnel range of the basement of W.R. Weaver Company in El Paso Texas.
And got paid for it!
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I have one, have put a lot of rounds through it, and really like it.

Well done is better than well said.
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

BlaineG wrote:I've heard the stories, but......
Glad someone who's been around a while said that. I have owned a number of Taurus firearms and all but one have been excellent guns. The "one" was a beautiful blued, 4" .32 mag revolver with horribly oversized chambers and my brand new Starline brass split longitudinally when resized the first time. Returned it to Taurus and,.... they "fixed the front sight." I was puzzled. Traded it to a non-reloader who was made aware of the issue.

On the other hand, the first brand new Smith I ever bought was a 4" Smith 624. It had more problems than any two dozen other guns I have ever bought and I returned it as well. Lettering on the barrel could be read on the INSIDE, front sight loose, recoil shield so rough the cylinder wouldn't cycle when loaded,..... Smith fixed five of the ten problems and I finished fixing the rest. I think the Smith N-Frames are the most beautiful handgun ever made by the way.

Back to "cheap guns;" I have owned many Charters (most in .44 Special) and have had only one that was a problem - a 2" .32 mag. It just wouldn't shoot. It shot so poorly that I traded it to a guy who was sure he could make it shoot, but the two inch barrel wasn't what I wanted and it wasn't worth my time to make it shoot. That was it - ONE Charter I owned that I felt had probelms from the factory.

I have had ONE Rossi revolver - a 3" .44 Special which wouldn't shoot cast bullets (probably a throat dimension issue). A fellow gun show buzzard caught me coming in the door of a show once (we got yelled at for wheelin' an' dealin' in the doorway and clogging traffic) and insisted I sell it to him. I had sent it to Rossi but it still wouldn't shoot cast but he promised he would only ever shoot jacketed in it and would not take "no" for an answer. It shot jacketed very well but I had no use for jacketed in the 'Special.

Of all the .44 Specials I have owned and shot the snot out of, the Charter 3" Bulldogs were better than any. The Taurus .44s were nice but were a lot of steel for a 5-shot 'Special. The Smiths were gorgeous works of art but just too big for me. The Rossi was a chunk of steel itself but the Bulldogs are just right. I landed a vintage 4" Target a few months ago and am in hog heaven - it being lighter and handier than either of the others - longer or shorter barrels.

I have been shooting the .44 Special in whatever I could find/afford for a long time. I have had a lot of them and most have been very good guns. The Charters will take a lot more use than people like to believe, are well designed, handy and all of mine have been accurate, I ran across a target the other day that I shot over ten years ago. Ten 208 LEE WCs out of a 3" Bulldog (a $140 Bulldog) into 2" at 25 yards but 240s and 250s shot better and to POA. Frankly, that exquisite 624 shot no better than any of my Charters and it shot quite well.

Anyway, I have a lot of real-life personal experience with the small .44s and try to share it when I can. These were my guns and shot my loads with my cast bullets and they were shot a lot and sometimes at longish ranges. At one informal range, there was a steel plate about a foot wide by two feet tall at just over 100 yards. I could put five of five onto that plate any time I wanted. I have owned SAs for which that wouldn't have been a challenge, but the 3" Bulldog is supposed to be a "cheap belly gun."

There, I have gone and said more than most will want to read, but I don't do it to be contrary - I do it to hopefully help others who are interested in something that they may be shamed out of or be afraid won't live up to a certain standard. If the standard is a reasonably accurate working gun using moderate loads and capable of digesting 100 or so of those loads a month for years on end, I think a Taurus or Charter will serve a fella very well. To be cruelly honest, many on this forum don't have enough years left to wear one out at that rate.

Sorry that was long but I hope it helps.
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

Jayhawker wrote:I have one, have put a lot of rounds through it, and really like it.......
I have all I need, have what I want and the gun lust has faded but that makes me "want one."

That's a nice one, Jayhawker. I still think Taurus had excellent sights on those too.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Jeff H, well said and i agree. my experiences with quite a few of the taurus guns has been excellent. and i like what else you said:

"...Frankly, that exquisite 624 shot no better than any of my Charters and it shot quite well....." i had a beautiful exquisite smooth pretty etc etc colt diamondback 22 4" and my charter pathfinder 3" kit gun totally outshot it with any and all ammo....... made me sick. had several other acquaintances with same experience. sent the diamondback down the road......cant believe the silly prices they bring now. but that is collecting not using. i have a smith 43 airweight 22 kit gun and a 4" smith model 48 22lr and they are great shooters and i still have that little charter pathfinder.

frankly, i dont 'ride for the brand' when it comes to sixguns or trucks, etc. it has got to be reliable and perform.
cable
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mescalero wrote:Any ideas?
Yep!
What you need?????????
Now watch this video in full.
Look at that gun size next to his thumb/hand( you can handle it)Its not that big(I have a 6" one)
Look at how figin sexy that gun looks(3" adj/sights

and hey-----if ya gotta have the need for 44 spl throw the first 3 with em in it and if the *** doesn't drop give em a dish of 44mag in the remaining ones.

That gun is (what would turn me on) :mrgreen:
few hundred more??? sure(but worth every penny) :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHe1f7T5qlE
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

JeffH,
What I appreciate more than anything is honesty.
That was an honest unbiased disertation, thank you.
madman4570,
As I said before, I am not recoil sensitive, ( that guy did have BIG hands though ).
When I retired I bought myself a retirement present:
A 4" 629!
I want the Taurus because it will be with me a lot, and I feel less guilty about the day to day wear and tear on a Taurus than I do a Smith.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mescalero wrote:JeffH,
What I appreciate more than anything is honesty.
That was an honest unbiased disertation, thank you.
madman4570,
As I said before, I am not recoil sensitive, ( that guy did have BIG hands though ).
When I retired I bought myself a retirement present:
A 4" 629!
I want the Taurus because it will be with me a lot, and I feel less guilty about the day to day wear and tear on a Taurus than I do a Smith.
Makes sense to me!
If I hear of another one coming up like my buddy had will let you know!(only one in a Taurus and cheap)
Good luck
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Just got off the HK speedloader website, that seals it.
HK makes a 5 round speedloader for the 431/441.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

Just in case you never found one
http://www.armslist.com/posts/463267/gr ... 31--44spl-

It says FTF, but I'd be willing to buy it from him and ship it to your dealer - or have my dealer ship it to your dealer - for an extra $25.

Edward