Why should I keep Marlin 375

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Why should I keep Marlin 375

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Already have 30/30, 45/70, 357 and45 colt levers. What will this do the others can't ? I'll have to buy new dies, molds, brass and bullets too? It's also has no CBS on it. Gotta tell ya tho, it feels lighter and handles better in my hands than the 1895-SS.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Hobie

Re: Why should I keep Marlin 375

Post by Hobie »

Keep it because you have it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Lighter recoil and lighter to carry than the 45-70. How does it shoot?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Because it fills a gap inbetween your 45-70 and 30-30's. Its a great cartridge and the rifle will handle high pressures unlike most 38-55's. In fact, I shoot my 38-55 ammo in my 375 Marlin. Because you have it, its not eating nothing. Besides, its like money in the bank because there will be a line of people waiting to buy it if and when you decide to sell.

Think about the thousands of dollars we all spend on taxes and car insurance and what do we get for it??? Keep it--it ain't easy to replace-----------------------Sixgun

There! That do it for 'ya?
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

you have it, it feels good in your hands, they aint making em no more
and there fun to shoot, does a fine job on game
i have one in a 94, also a 38-55 in a marlin CB
one is not much differnt than the other
its mostly cuz i can

ollogger
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

It's just plain cool would be enough reason for me.

Eric
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Sixgun,
I did not do drugs, I did not chase wild women.
I bought guns.
At this point, we reap the rewards; however meager.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

A gun like that is a fine hunting rifle. If you turn loose of it you probably won't get another. What ever it brings now it will bring more later. They aren't making them any more that's for sure. If it was a 336 in 30-30, hey they are all over. That gun is not.

Tell you what, if that gun is bothering you, send it to me. Out of sight, out of mind.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Dave wrote:Tell you what, if that gun is bothering you, send it to me. Out of sight, out of mind.
+1

I can hang onto it for you, keep it safe, give it attention, shoot it, etc. Then whenever you decide you can give it the love it deserves, I'll send it back to ya :D Sound like a deal? :wink:
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

All the reason above, and the one you mentioned. It carries lighter and quicker than the 1895, and will do more than the 30-30. kept to it's limited range of a couple hundred yards or so, it is a good moose and anything below, gun.

Load it to almost 2500 with a 200gr bullet, and it'll be an outstanding deer/pig/bear gun.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

keep it--so many times i find something cooool, buy it, then sell it, then i regret it...life is way too short... enjoy... :)
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Because as you probably have already discovered, it will make you smile and be happy all over. You do want to be happy don't you? lol
Hayabusa
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

I've sold precious guns to pay bills, taxes, or to make a move to another place. Take it from me Pard...don't divest yourself of one fine asset like your Marlin. I don't anymore.

The IRS can wait, so can the bills even if they scream bloody murder. I don't sell my guns anymore to do those things. Your Marlin .375 is a treasure...I fed my family with a .375 H&H using 38-55 loads for a few years & cast bullets.

You have a treasure...maybe you should reconsider?

LB
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

It's because you can't really find them anymore just like my Savage 99M 375 Winchester I bought two months ago. And when you do find them they demand top dollar for them. To be honest if you brought all of the rifles you had to my hunting camp and showed them off the Marlin 375 will get picked all the time. There's nothing wrong with the rest of the rifles, all of them are in fine calibers but it's the rarity of that particular Marlin that will get the WOW factor and the most important thing to me is.... It's a REAL Marlin! Not the clones that are being built today by Remington :roll:

Mainehunter :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a pair of them about 2-3 years ago and sold them both . I made money when I sold them but now I'm contemplating getting another . And of course it'll cost more probably then what I sold the other two for !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Even though it's a hard caliber to find, it shoot 375"s and 38-55's. Doubling your chances. Excellent handling rifle that hits North American game hard under 200 yards. If the .375 WCF. was brought out in the 1920's, It would be as popular, MAYBE a bit more than the 30WCF is today. My .375 will stay with me to the end.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Because it is better than most other levergun cartridges. Faster'n it's older brother the .38-55, has more horsepower than all it's little brothers, (.25-35, .30WCF, 32-40 & .32WS), lighter and quicker than it's ancient uncle the .45-70; and, dare I say it, according to some, even more horsepower than its bastard-half-cousin the .35Rem!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, it is really a 38-55 and ..... It will shoot 375 Win ammo.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

About 1 1/2 year ago I offered a Marlin .375 for sale here and it generated almost no interest, so I am surprised by this response.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

It's the Needle in a Haystack...just did a search on Gunbroker for Marlin Leveractions....668.then Marlin .375.....just 4. the value will go nowhere but up. :D :D .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mescalero wrote:About 1 1/2 year ago I offered a Marlin .375 for sale here and it generated almost no interest, so I am surprised by this response.
If I'm not mistaken the one you had here for sale showed ALOT of use , way to much finish gone for my tastes . Sure you can reblue but I personally prefer original shape with about 90% blue or better .
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That is correct, it came off of a working ranch; and it worked for a living.
But it was not anywhere near beyond redemption.
I have since refrained from offering others I have come across.
Why waste my time?
Pity, cause once you are inside the ranching crowd, you come across some real treasures.
turnkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by turnkey »

I don't have any Marlins, I've always preferred Winchesters, but I'll bet you one whole dollar that if you sell that gun you'll regret it. I always did. :cry:
"Every day a holiday, every meal a feast, every paycheck a treasure."
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

BenT, aint shot it yet, been too busy and dont have: brass bullets or dies yet!
Mescalero, was actually interested in it but was sold b4 I sent hyou message
The rest of the ENABLERS here, thanks for opinoins.

I also have an 1954 M336 in 35REM, but never really thought about a 375 till I saw this one, I just grabbed it and didnt quibble about the price. Was a spur of the momemt purchase but, had never seen or handled b4 I bought it.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

From an ammunition standpoint, its difficult to justify keeping this rifle. As the years click by, ammo will continue to climb in price while supply is diminished.

From a collector's standpoint, keeping this rifle can be justified. Value will increase but how much and how fast are factors which are unknown to me.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yeah, it was wierd.
I purposly did not offer it locally, to offer it to forum members.
After some disappointing conversations, the first guy I offered it to said nothing, just pulled out his wallet and paid the asking price.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

That's one Marlin that years back I held in my hands at a local gun store, thought about it long and hard, and regrettably put it back to buy another day. When I had my pennies saved I found, to my dismay, that Marlin was no longer making them. I've regretted whipping out my credit card back then ever since. Even more today when I went on line a few minutes ago and saw what they are getting for jacketed Coreloct component bullets these days. If you get a 375 Marlin, there's no deer in the US that would withstand a well-placed hit with a cast flatnose bullet. And don't even bring up the Microgroove myth--Marlins can and do shoot cast bullets very nicely.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jlchucker wrote: If you get a 375 Marlin, there's no deer in the US that would withstand a well-placed hit with a cast flatnose bullet. And don't even bring up the Microgroove myth--Marlins can and do shoot cast bullets very nicely.

I killed a deer with the 375 WIN in a Marlin a couple years back using the first bullet mold Ranch Dog tried , the 379-210GC with XMP5744 and it did a very nice job !

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm about to pick up a BB94 Winchester in .375.....With the strength of that action, I hope to duplicate the Buffalo Bore Heavy 38-55 load in .375 brass....That would be a serious hammer for anything I'm apt to hunt under 200 yards.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The 375 Win is a great round... but original sale numbers for both Winchester 94BBs and Marlin 375s were relatively small. Guaranteeing that future supplies of ammo would be limited. However, the 375 Winchester is a reloader's or caster's delight. The Hornady 220 grain JFP is a hammer, a great compromise between the factory 200 and 250 grain loadings. Any .377 cast bullet can be used, if it has a flat point appropriate for a tubular magazine.

Unlike the .38-55 which, in modern guns, often runs with groove diameters of .379 or .380, the .375Win is fairly consistent at .375. Using a cast .001 or .002 larger is superb. For maximum use of the horsepower available tho', a gas checked bullet is recommended by this reloader.

Mescalero, a lot of folks are put off by the .375Win because of that ammo availability. But, if they reload, they really needn't be. IMO, the .375 Win can do anything a .444Marlin can do, except put a .430 hole in something.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote: IMO, the .375 Win can do anything a .444Marlin can do, except put a .430 hole in something.
I don't exactly agree with that statement , but then I don't agree with the folks who say the 444 can do anything the 45-70 can do !

I kinda see the 375 WIN as my light rifle , the 444 as the medium and the 45-70 as the heavy gun :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

6pt-sika wrote:
Griff wrote: IMO, the .375 Win can do anything a .444Marlin can do, except put a .430 hole in something.
I don't exactly agree with that statement , but then I don't agree with the folks who say the 444 can do anything the 45-70 can do !

I kinda see the 375 WIN as my light rifle , the 444 as the medium and the 45-70 as the heavy gun :wink:
With my achy shoulders, I'm hoping that the .375 can be my "heavy" ish rifle to play with and plink.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:

With my achy shoulders, I'm hoping that the .375 can be my "heavy" ish rifle to play with and plink.

"Most" of my 444 loads are not that bad recoil wise . However the last week or so I've been noticing a little more recoil then I did before with the 45-70 while testing Ranch Dog's new 460-300GC bullet . But then the fact that I'm running them a bit on the warm to hot side doesn't help either :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

6pt-sika wrote:
Yep... I guess it does depend on the uses one puts them to!
My .30-30s are the light guns, the .375Win the medium bore and the .45-70 as the heavy weight. BECAUSE I'm not limited... I can have specific use guns! Same reason why I don't have to have a .45Magle'em to replicate what a .45-70 can do and still load it light enough to replace a separate .45Colt rifle!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mescalero wrote:Sixgun,
I did not do drugs, I did not chase wild women.
I bought guns.
At this point, we reap the rewards; however meager.

Mescalero,
Well, I DID use drugs and I probably smoked enough weed to keep a half dozen Mexicans busy swimming across the Rio Grande---thats all--just weed. Gave it all up when I turned 40.

Women? Nope. Got married at 18 and my Italian wife made it clear that I would be livin' in the woods if I let the little head rule the big head. :D Ha! 'ya like that??!!

The rewards of buying antique Winchesters & Colts? Yea, I thought about that. I bought every nice gun I could put my dirty little hands on since I was 18, thinking it would be a nice nest egg and 'ya know what? I'm just about there (57) and have no intention of selling nothin' to make older age easier. I'd sooner suffer financially than sell the guns--its who I am :wink: -------------------------Me
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I can not bring myself to sell them for some reason,
oddly enough I have no problem giving them away,
go figure!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sixgun
I nearly wet myself

ollogger
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mescalero wrote:That is correct, it came off of a working ranch; and it worked for a living.
But it was not anywhere near beyond redemption. I have since refrained from offering others I have come across.
Why waste my time?
Don't take offense that a well-used gun didn't sell as quickly or for as high a price as a mint-condition one - that's just the free market working. If you're selling a well-used gun, soon you'll find a buyer who WANTS a well-used one.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

6pt-sika wrote:
jlchucker wrote: If you get a 375 Marlin, there's no deer in the US that would withstand a well-placed hit with a cast flatnose bullet. And don't even bring up the Microgroove myth--Marlins can and do shoot cast bullets very nicely.

I killed a deer with the 375 WIN in a Marlin a couple years back using the first bullet mold Ranch Dog tried , the 379-210GC with XMP5744 and it did a very nice job !

Nice deer, nice Marlin, and a nice way to prove my point about a caliber like the 375 Winchester and a good cast bullet load. Too bad Marlins like this one are so hard to come by.