Ruger Vaquero SS 44 Spl. Range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Ruger Vaquero SS 44 Spl. Range report

Post by Old Savage »

OK gents - here is the first time out with this pistola. I shoot lead and jacketed without distinction of preserving the bore. Lead or jacketed - jacketed or lead, which to shoot first. Well ....... I decided to go with a cylinder of lead then two cylinders of jacketed then lead again then to finish with jacketed. I suppose that was in deference to those who think it is a sin to run jacketed through a bore. You will notice that regardless, the groups larger or smaller are same general shape. The point of aim was the bottom of the black for the target above. So we see a low left tendency which is easily correctable because the sight appears canted a little right and I can obviously take a little off the front sight. Here it is the actual target and the 44 Spl. Thought it might come through larger - likely need your specs for the print. Range was 15 yds standing off hand.

Last edited by Old Savage on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ruger Vaquero SS 44 Spl. Range report

Post by shooter »

I'm sure a little tinkering with those loads will tighten those groups a bit. Nice looking gun, and not too bad for the first time out.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Shooting it seemed to quickly settle the accuracy. You can't tell now but I had the impression that the first group of jacketed looked much like the first lead at the top and the rest tended to settle inside of those.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool report. Always nice to see a real-world experience with a real-world gun. Rugers aren't the "best", but they're darned good revolvers; plenty good for me. The 44 Special is a really nice cartridge, too; the extra 'punch' the 44 Mag enables isn't needed all that often.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Not bad OS for open sights and a new gun, i`m sure a deer would be in trouble. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Barrel probably needs just a tweek to the left (tightening) to get the poa and poi closer. If you weren't choken the gun and canting it in your hand.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I like your choice in Ruger...always great fun to break in a new revolver...thank you for the post... :)
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Low left with a guy with big hands is often "too deep" in the trigger, milking it low left. Try SLOWLY dry firing and watch the sights..... Then get behind it more, less finger on the trigger and try.
Certified gun nut