OT--6666 RANCH

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--6666 RANCH

Post by getitdone1 »

Boys if you like lever guns and old-west history you'll surely like reading about the 6666 Ranch. Charles brought it to my attention and sure glad he did. Unlike the King Ranch this one is located in what I consider the true West. Northwestern Texas, Panhandle area and surrounding.

www.6666ranch.com

Don McCullough
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I cant remember the name, but Roy Rogers came out of retirement and did one last movies some years ago. It was filmed on the Four Sixes Ranch.

The Four Sixes takes up most of King County in what is called the "Rolling Plains" area of Texas. The only town is Guthrie which is also the County Seat. Guthries only has a couple of hundred people and most work on the 6666 and other area ranches.

The Rolling Plains was deep into what was known as Comancharia (Comanche homeland) in the old days. That whol areas is truly Texas Ranch/Cowboy culture.

I have my eye on a 4,650 acre tracts just out of Guthrie should I ever win a lottery. It was part of the original 6666 ranch. If I win the Big One, that is where you boys can find me... bring your leverguns!!!
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Charles,

Couple of things:

You've mention Roy Rogers twice recently. Maybe he's a hero of yours. If so, you've got good taste. Roy, more than any man I know, kept his youthful looks nearly to the end. A real gentleman. If you're ever out in California visit his museum at Apple Valley. Of course his Happy Trails song is a classic.

Never forget Roy and Dale in my early TV days. Great entertainment for us kids in the 50's.

What's land in the 6666 area go for at this time? Expect you'd better be sure of the water supply before buying.

Don McCullough
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Don... Roy and Dale were fine Christian people who lived their faith. He also was a hunter and gun guy. I was born in 1942 and Roy was the cowboy hero of my generation. I am not easy to impress, but Roy was one man I would liked to have known.

The price of the place I am looking at is $885.00 per acre. That is fairly low for Texas ranch land. It is not arid, desert country and water is not a problem. Wells are easy to drill. Lots of trees, shrubs and other green stuff. Very good ranch country and hunting country as well.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Charles, I have a farm about 5 miles east of Paducah, which is 30 miles north of Guthrie. I lease it out to a farmer who raises cotton, wheat & cattle. Parts of the place have been in the family over 100 years now. Bought it from my grandmother a number of years ago. The farm house was built in 1941 by my father, grandfather and great grandfather. I remember my grandfather telling me stories about some of the ranches around there, including the 6666, Matador, Triangle, Moon & Pitchfork. Interesting country and history in that area.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
ornery
Levergunner

Post by ornery »

:) Howdy fellers' I had the privilidge of knowing Roy and his family. Fine, fine people. He was actually my landlord at one time. I leased a place from him to train horses out of. It was one of the original 'Apple Valley Ranchos' as they were known back then. Hell, nobody even knew where Apple Valley was back then!
Charles, the movie you're thinkin' of is "Macintosh & TJ" It was the last film Roy made. he always said it was one of his favorites because he was portraying a part of himself. The co-star was also a name you might recognize...a still young Clay Obrian Cooper ! It was after his first role in "The Cowboys" with the Duke!

Just a little trivia about a man I knew as just Roy
:)
Soy vaquero, nada mas.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Claybob... I have been through Paducha many time, having lived in that area of Texas a number of years. I preached a Revival at the Methodist Church there, some thirty years ago.

The Pitchfork ranch is still around, but the Matador is gone. The Matador had it's headquarters in Bailey County just out of Muleshoe. My Grandmother taught school on the Matador Ranch about 1910.

When I was a kid lawyer, I got involved in one heck of a water rights lawsuit in Bailey County. I was very unpopular with some folks there and popular with others. The District Judge there was named Boone and claimed to be a descendent from Daniel Boone.

Hold on to that family land.

Onery.. How great you knew Roy. I wish I had been so lucky.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Can't thank you'all enough for posting some first-hand history, I love it!

Not enough time to live everywhere..,

Grizz
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very interesting, thanks for posting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I've driven through 4x6's several times - beautiful country.

Probably one of the few places left you can see herds of horses running free (well – kinda) without a power line or fence for miles.

Chad
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

The price of the place I am looking at is $885.00 per acre. That is fairly low for Texas ranch land.
You ain't kiddin' pardner. Unfortunately, I have to be near the Houston area for work and currently live 30 miles SW. Raw land around here is listed for anywhere from $3,500 to $8,000+ an acre (farm land that has been cleared can sometimes be found a LITTLE cheaper). I'm currently looking at land 100+ miles from Houston and asking prices are still in that outrageous price range, even that far out.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Charles wrote:Claybob... I have been through Paducha many time, having lived in that area of Texas a number of years. I preached a Revival at the Methodist Church there, some thirty years ago.
Yessir, that church has a chapel attached to it that was caused to be built by my great aunt!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Been to the Wikipedia encyclopedia reading about ranches and Old West people.

I typed "Old Ranches" in the search box and enjoyed an hour or more of interesting reading.

Several of the early Hollywood cowboys had experienced years of being the real thing before working in the movies. Of course the most famous would be Tom Mix. I'm sure that most of'em were "tough as nails."

Nostalgic rememberences of the past.

Don McCullough