Ithaca Model 37-not a lever gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Ithaca Model 37-not a lever gun

Post by Stan in SC »

At favorite gun shop today.I am so weak willed when it comes to orphan good firearms.
Only shotgun I presently owned up to today was a single barrel NEF although in the past quite a few have temporarily resided in my safe.I'm just really not a shotgun person.That's not to say I don't appreciate a good scatter gun.
Anyway,Mike shows me a really good condition older Ithaca Model 37 in12 gauge.The serial number shows a manufacture date of 1974.Good,made at the ORIGINAL plant.Good condition.The checkered wood is not all beat up.28" modified choke barrel.It seems no one around here wants anything other than Remington 1100's,Mossberg 500's or really high end shotguns.The price was more than excellent and this otherwise unappreciated jewel now sits in my safe awaiting it's trip to the gun club.

Stan in SC
Last edited by Stan in SC on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ithaca Model 37-not a lever gun

Post by Dave »

Congrats on a great gun!
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I have always been a bg fan of the Ithaca 37. I own one in each guage, the 12 was the first gun of any kind I ever bought at age 16. Since there is no "flap" covering the loading port, it makes them very easy to unload by pressing the shell retainer and letting the shell fall into your hands.
The complaint about them was there was only one forearm slide bar, not two to "steady" the forearm. This has never been a problem for me, I have put thousands of rounds threw mine with no problems. Mine are older than yours and do have the "slam fire" feature, you must let go of the trigger before you pump in a new shell or it will go bang.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool, have fun. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Used to go to the old Ithaca Gun Corp. quite often.
The quality of that gun you have for it's cost(is a bargain)
You will love this gun!
Also I believe yours will slam fire too,(1974)
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Used to go to the old Ithaca Gun Corp. quite often.
The quality of that gun you have for it's cost(is a bargain)
You will love this gun!
Also I believe yours will slam fire too,(1974) S/N 371#######
If you can get a chance(check kittery trading post)and get a 20" Ithaca smooth bore slug barrel with orange Raybar front sight(should be around $90 for that barrel) 90+ % condition
example---John would probably take $80-85 and the shipping is cheap.(he often works that deal too)
http://www.ktpguns.com/firearm.php?gid= ... a=&SeeAll=
You will have a combo-------that short barrel will also be good for HD/skeet/super fast upland game use/deer/bear
If you could have seen how they made those buck barrels back then (a work of art)like shaping a glass vase. :lol:(the shape/contour)

I remember that instead of using a low cost spring them actually shaping piano wire on a part for the gun. And their wood :mrgreen:
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

The Ithaca slam-fire feature had quite the giggle factor for us back in high school. A shooting session would, at times, start with a "Hey y'all, watch this...".
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Nothing beats a 37. I've got two--a recent purchase Featherlite 20 about the OP's vintage, and an older 16--my favorite. Actually three if you count a ca 1956/7 12 ga my father had and I shot for years and I plan to buy back from a friend I sold to in a weak moment awhile back. (Never sell an heirloom if you possibly can avoid!). Nice find.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My wife's first birthday present to me was a model 37 12 ga. with an IMP CYL barrel, I later got the barrel with the chokes which I have never used. Cycled in from my hip one time on a dove hunt - the ejecting shell hit the primer of the last one in the magazine tube and set it off. Some excitement there. Had to get a new follower and spring and the plastic plug was reduce to small chips but the mag tube was fine.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

What gauge didja git ?

Mine is a 20ga Deluxe Deerslayer from the late-60's, with an extra 28" plain bbl w/mod choke.

1894c

Post by 1894c »

Ithaca Model 37...one of my all-time favorites...my Dad had a Ithaca Deerslayer, he was very effective with that shotgun... :)
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

The only thing I hold against ithaca is they didnt make the 37 in 410 the new company is making it on a small frame in 28 ga. danny
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Pete44ru,
Sorry for the omission.It is a 12 gauge.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

My Ithaca Model 37 12 ga. was bought new in 1968. It works as well now as it did then, and, yes, if you hold down the trigger it will shoot as fast as you can pump the action!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Pardon Me for interupting, where can I get a 16 ga barrel for a 37 ? Are these Guns expensive or just run of the mill 100 to 150 dollar guns.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

pwl44m wrote:Pardon Me for interupting, where can I get a 16 ga barrel for a 37 ? Are these Guns expensive or just run of the mill 100 to 150 dollar guns.
Perry
I expect they might be a little more than that, but have no experience on which to base my opinion.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

pwl44m wrote:Pardon Me for interupting, where can I get a 16 ga barrel for a 37 ? Are these Guns expensive or just run of the mill 100 to 150 dollar guns.
Perry
http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

There are quite a few Chicom made model 37 clones now on the market the Savage/Stevens model 350 being one:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31