Recent school shooting.. Never underestimate the 22 rimfire

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Recent school shooting.. Never underestimate the 22 rimfire

Post by preventec47 »

I just read in the news that the student shooter had a 22 pistol
and shot ten rounds till empty. They said it was random but one of the guys that died had recently started to date the shooters ex girlfriend. Dont ever think of the 22 rimfire as a toy.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Recent school shooting.. Never underestimate the 22 rimfire

Post by Charles »

I have three weapons in my collection that were murder guns.

1 Marlin 39 rifle used in a double homicide in Austin Texas
2. Rhom 22 Short used by a man to kill his wife.
3. Colt 22 Huntsman, used in a double homicide

I take 22s very seriously!
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Back in the '70's, in retaliation for the massacre at the '68 Olympics the Israelis were whacking terrorists left and right. Their weapon of choice, little Berretta .22's.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

But u never see one as the carry gun of the month. :P
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Charles wrote:I have three weapons in my collection that were murder guns.

1 Marlin 39 rifle used in a double homicide in Austin Texas
2. Rhom 22 Short used by a man to kill his wife.
3. Colt 22 Huntsman, used in a double homicide

Yechhh!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

tman wrote:But u never see one as the carry gun of the month. :P
My .22 AirLite (about 11oz, I think) is a regular take along for me....I can pump 8 in the chest while someone else is recovering from .357 recoil. :wink: CCI Stingers make a real mess.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

wecsoger wrote:Back in the '70's, in retaliation for the massacre at the '68 Olympics the Israelis were whacking terrorists left and right. Their weapon of choice, little Berretta .22's.
A fellow who called himself "Avner" wrote a book about it. He said they used a modified lower powered round and the Beretta had modifidications to function reliably with the lower powered ammo. The reason was that they were very quiet. 3 or 4 Mossad agents would converge on the terrorist, make certain identification, fire about 6 to 12 rounds apiece, and melt into a crowd while the terrorist exsanguinated in place. It was very messy and extremely effective. The terrorists finally went after the Mossad agents and killed a few of them in retaliation. The Mossad then upped the ante and made some really flashy kills, then took the terrorists to the talks with Prezuhdent Cawtuh.(Sorry, I can't resist poking fun at his accent.) The .22 may not be a great 1 shot stopper, but it is a proven effective round when used within its limitations.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

piller wrote:The .22 may not be a great 1 shot stopper, but it is a proven effective round when used within its limitations.
Paraphrasing your own comment, (i.e., "... when used within its limitations.) it's all in the application.

The .22 can be deadly.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have heard of a .22 lr being used to kill a Cape Buffalo bu shooting into an area of the nose between the nostrils. It reportedly can travel directly into the brain with only a rather thin area of bone to penetrate when shot into this area. A round nose solid just might do it. I don't know, and am not even going to try it. All else aside, I agree, the .22 lr can be deadly.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Don't know if its true or not, but I have read where a lady used to shoot her elk with a 22. Close range and slip it between the ribs, towards the heart.
Animal would just bleed out internally and finally fall over dead
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Thunder50 wrote:Don't know if its true or not, but I have read where a lady used to shoot her elk with a 22. Close range and slip it between the ribs, towards the heart.
Animal would just bleed out internally and finally fall over dead
Happened up here in Farson a while back... but with a .177 pellet and an antelope.

State trooper who had to drag the carcass off the highway was amazed at the bad luck as he was writing the "taking game out of season" ticket...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep. .22 LR would not be rated a reliable 'instant stopper', but is VERY deadly, given a few minutes (or hours or days).

We shouldn't have government-run schools, especially with mandatory attendance - the oxygen-wasting creatures who do shootings like this would be less likely to be there in 'gun-free' zones to do things like this...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

[quote="
Happened up here in Farson a while back... but with a .177 pellet and an antelope.
..[/quote]
I shoot a lot of racoons in traps with 177 pellets and I do not
get pass throughs when shooting through the lungs with a magnum power .17 pellet rifle. I cannot believe the antelope
story unless the pellet severed a jugular or femeral artery.
I actually kill them with pellet into the brain but I have then conducted penetration experiments with the carcass.
Now if you shoot a round solid lead .17 ball you will get a
complete passthrough of an adult racoon through the
lungs. A really hard 22 round nose 40gr 22 rimfire will shoot
through six fresh 2x4s. That is really saying something as
far as pure penetration. Way more than most centerfire
pistols.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

preventec47 wrote:[quote="
I shoot a lot of racoons in traps with 177 pellets and I do not
get pass throughs when shooting through the lungs with a magnum power .17 pellet rifle. I cannot believe the antelope
story unless the pellet severed a jugular ...[/quote]
Yes.

Gonna sting him on the front flank to steer him in the other direction and Murphy caught the pellet.

I'll have to dig to find the reference.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

There is data that indicates that .22 LR, .25 ACP, .32 ACP have a higher lethality rate than large 'servce caliber' sidearms.

I believe that is because the small caliber hideout guns are not usually used in gunfights. The people using them get up close and personal and take advantage of the element of surprise to get in the first shot. I have killed enough hogs to realize that if you get withing 50 feet and are any kind of shot at all a .22 will kill anyone.

There have been gazillions of deer poached with .22 by people who had enough sense to get close enough and make the first shot count. Of course there is the drawback that one then can not boast to his buddies how he dropped it on the run at XXX+ yards.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Stopping an attacker and killing a person eating his lunch are far different tasks. The .22 is good at the latter, not great at the former.

I know of a case where a step father called his 18 yr old step daughter, found out mom was not home, and said "I'm coming to take you again." She met him inside the attached 2 car garage with a 10/22 in hand and shot him TEN times. He still managed to disarm her, and break both of her eye sockets with the rifle butt before expiring.
Certified gun nut
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

BAGTIC wrote:There is data that indicates that .22 LR, .25 ACP, .32 ACP have a higher lethality rate than large 'servce caliber' sidearms.

I believe that is because the small caliber hideout guns are not usually used in gunfights. The people using them get up close and personal and take advantage of the element of surprise to get in the first shot. I have killed enough hogs to realize that if you get withing 50 feet and are any kind of shot at all a .22 will kill anyone.

There have been gazillions of deer poached with .22 by people who had enough sense to get close enough and make the first shot count. Of course there is the drawback that one then can not boast to his buddies how he dropped it on the run at XXX+ yards.
My FIL lived through the depression, which really never ended until about 1950 in the small town he lived in. He fed his family for YEARS with a box of .22 shorts and a six volt lantern. Nuff said.
Certified gun nut
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

adirondakjack wrote:I know of a case where a step father called his 18 yr old step daughter, found out mom was not home, and said "I'm coming to take you again." She met him inside the attached 2 car garage with a 10/22 in hand and shot him TEN times. He still managed to disarm her, and break both of her eye sockets with the rifle butt before expiring.
That makes a good case for "high capacity" magazines, or better yet, for 18 year old girls being 'allowed' to own Garands instead of just 22 LR's...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

adirondakjack wrote:Stopping an attacker and killing a person eating his lunch are far different tasks. The .22 is good at the latter, not great at the former.

I know of a case where a step father called his 18 yr old step daughter, found out mom was not home, and said "I'm coming to take you again." She met him inside the attached 2 car garage with a 10/22 in hand and shot him TEN times. He still managed to disarm her, and break both of her eye sockets with the rifle butt before expiring.

Jeez, how many times do we need to talk about shot placement?

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I don't know if the kid that did that shooting was familiar with guns and yet he did all that damage with just a 22. Just imagine if he had really known how to handle a firearm (take aim, etc).. The results could have been a lot worse.
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

I know this is going to sound a little crass but I like to know
more of the details in all of these stories. The reporters never
get enough for me. For instance, the football coach is deemed
a hero for chasing the shooter out of the building but they
said he shot ten times and that is how many bullets most
22 pistols hold. Truth be told, the 300 pound coach was no match in a foot race with a skinny 17 year old kid and could never have caught him. However it the coach did catch the kid ( or at least me ) I would want to beat the daylights out of him.
My feeling is the shooter was out of ammo with no more bullets or mags for reload especially since he got the pistol from his grandpa. see attached a pic of the pistol which is quite rare in these kinds of shootings and I think it is a SW #422 or #622 model.
[attachment=0]22 pistol 912.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

This picture looks like a Beretta semi auto pistol.
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

Some years back a friend of mines wife was an emergency room nurse in Klamath Falls, Oregon. She would tell grisley tales about having to examine every inch of a gunshot victims intestines after being shot by a .22. because of deaths by perotinitis (?) due to not discovering all of the penetrating holes. Also the effect of being shot in the head by a .22 solid. Usually would make mush of the brain by internal ricochets.
Happy Trails!