Colt knives

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Colt knives

Post by winchester1886 »

I just wondered if anyone here has had anything to do with Colt knives, I saw a real nice Bowie type one at the gun show last weekend, but noticed it was made in Pakistan, and having had knives from that part of the world before, that put me off. So can anyone tell me anything about them. Thanks in advance.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Colt knives

Post by DPris »

None of the branded knives by Colt or any other gunmaker are made by that gunmaker.
They're licensed out, and the products typically are lower grade knives.
Not always, but usually.
Not worth much as users, no real collector value in most cases.
There are exceptions, but a Pakistani knife is not one of 'em. :)
Denis
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

In the last 40 years, I've only come across TWO "firearms manufacturer"-brand knives, that were anywhere near good-to-excellent quality.

One was the Beretta line of folders wirh rubber (?) scales.

The other was Browning line of fixed & folding knives - especially the stag-handled versions, dedicated to a model, like the Model 52, 86, etc.

HOWEVER, I've noticed that Browning has lately (last 3 years) had their knives made in China - I wouldn't touch them with a 10' pole, and blame it on Hobie ! . ;) . :mrgreen:

Five years ago, at a flea market, I bought a "Colt" pocket/pen knife (folder) that had white scales emblazoned with a blue-colored "Colt" rocker logo, for $2 - about what it was worth.

oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

Ruger had some knives made by Case, Schrade, and Kershaw that were all top quality USA made knives. Not sure on other gun manufacturers. Would stay away from any knife made in Pakistan.

Rob
NRA
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

MARBLES made a gun at one time & some nice knives
now i see they went to china also :cry:

ollogger
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Remington makes there own knives.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Beaker wrote:Remington makes there own knives.
Some. Others are licensed to a company called Taylor Cutlery. I had a Remington branded knife given as a thank you for helping big green at their factory open house a few years back, laser engraved with the event date and name, etc. It was a $40 Taylor knife. Not a bad knife, but nothing to write home about. I lost it off a pier when fishing in Sarasota.
Certified gun nut
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I have a Remington-branded knife. I'm not aware of Remington owning ANY knife production facility. I may be wrong, but I don't believe they do.

Browning makes no knives, all are contracted out.
They are some of the exceptions to the low quality "rule", many are actually quite nice. I have five here.

Denis
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

adirondakjack wrote:
Some. Others are licensed to a company called Taylor Cutlery. I had a Remington branded knife given as a thank you for helping big green at their factory open house a few years back, laser engraved with the event date and name, etc. It was a $40 Taylor knife. Not a bad knife, but nothing to write home about. I lost it off a pier when fishing in Sarasota.
A few years ago I used to get catalogs from an outfit called Smokey Mountain Knife Works. They sold cutlery of all sorts, and after somehow ending up on their mailing list, I bought a few Camillus brand knives from them, just before that company went out of business. Their catalog featured Case, Camillus, and a whole slew of other brands, including ones labelled Winchester and Remington. The Remington knives looked a whole lot like the ones in the Camillus ads. So much so that I was under the impression that they were actually manufactured by that company.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Queen cutlery still makes specialty knives in the US, including Schatt & Morgan and I believe they make the knives for Moore Maker.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Taylor (which I believe is a Canadian firm) may have got the license after Cammilus went belly up???
jlchucker wrote:
adirondakjack wrote:
A few years ago I used to get catalogs from an outfit called Smokey Mountain Knife Works. They sold cutlery of all sorts, and after somehow ending up on their mailing list, I bought a few Camillus brand knives from them, just before that company went out of business. Their catalog featured Case, Camillus, and a whole slew of other brands, including ones labelled Winchester and Remington. The Remington knives looked a whole lot like the ones in the Camillus ads. So much so that I was under the impression that they were actually manufactured by that company.
Certified gun nut
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Camillus Cutlery of Camillus, NY made a ton of knives for Remington (and others) -- folders and straight -- how do I know, I am originally from Camillus, NY and knew a few individuals that worked there (brother-in-laws relatives). If you look on ebay you'll see evidence of their work, too bad they closed up shop in 2007... :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Don't know about Colt knives, but I got a Colt lighter, even have a Remington knife and a few Camillus's laying around. :D Look here, each board has to have it's own idiot. :D -----Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD